Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 69 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn you James Cameron! I thought you were trying to raise the bar! :lol:

[video=youtube;UGix_842uI4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGix_842uI4[/video]

Based on the part where someone says that the layout doesn't jive with it being Soarin 2.0 or the part about the R&D needed for a new camera system?

We have some people saying it is, some that it is. Either way, it will be a purely video based attraction. Was hoping for something more intensive for the main attraction.

And anyway, Avatar = :bored:

- - - Updated - - -

From Theme Park Insider:

News is leaking, so I'll put it out there. It looks like Disney's Avatar ride will be a mash-up of Soarin' and Carousel of Progress. In 3D.

We're three years from putting our butts in any seats out there, so I'm guessing that about everything flying around tonight should be taken with a grain of long-term salt.

Not shocked that you'd want something more tbh, I'm pretty sure you were the one that rattled off a wish list for FLE that would have cost over a billion. Shame the old thread disappeared.... I still chuckle over the idea of a Kuka arm Peter Pan redo.

We're three years from putting our butts in any seats out there, so I'm guessing that about everything flying around tonight should be taken with a grain of long-term salt.

Not shocked that you'd want something more tbh, I'm pretty sure you were the one that rattled off a wish list for FLE that would have cost over a billion. Shame the old thread disappeared.... I still chuckle over the idea of a Kuka arm Peter Pan redo.

Cool story. I don't. Would be a fantastic addition.

And that redo wouldn't cost a billion if Universal (aka people who know how to spend money right) were doing it.

Since I have never been to AK, would Avatar give me a good reason to go there? Also is Soarin even a good ride?

It'll get me back there for a few hours. I'd never waste a day there.

- - - Updated - - -

Since I have never been to AK, would Avatar give me a good reason to go there? Also is Soarin even a good ride?

It'll get me back there for a few hours. I'd never waste a day there.

I just seem to remember it being a hilariously long list of things that would have made FLE "acceptable." Uni can spend their money however they want - really though, had Uni grown at the same rate as WDW over the past decade they'd be ahead of where they are now, so the current management should be commended for plunking down the 1.5B's to get them back to where they should have been all along. It's just awfully ironic that Transformers/Spiderman 2.0 is hailed as the passing of the Orlando Theme Park Torch yet Avatar/Soarin 2.0 that will be watched over by the biggest jerk in filmmaking is some sort of letdown prior to any official announcement. I haven't even seen Avatar but I'm sure whatever gets built will be interesting in the same sense that I never saw MiB or Mummy but love those rides.

But I'm guessing that you also think that attendance at DHS/DAK/all of WDW has fallen off a cliff and per cap spending is way down and WDW managers are running around every day smashing the panic button. I mean... Avatar boat ride... maybe your proficiencies are still up to date?

Edit to add... all the people over there claiming to have seen the plans :rolleyes:

Edit 2: This Cyclone guy is entertaining.

Last edited:
That's certainly true... and this is a Uni-centric board - I like the reporting that people here do out there, it just turns into hyperbole really fast.

When the two competitors have a combined fifteen parks, griping about the allocation of capital at single locations just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I just seem to remember it being a hilariously long list of things that would have made FLE "acceptable." Uni can spend their money however they want - really though, had Uni grown at the same rate as WDW over the past decade they'd be ahead of where they are now, so the current management should be commended for plunking down the 1.5B's to get them back to where they should have been all along. It's just awfully ironic that Transformers/Spiderman 2.0 is hailed as the passing of the Orlando Theme Park Torch yet Avatar/Soarin 2.0 that will be watched over by the biggest jerk in filmmaking is some sort of letdown prior to any official announcement. I haven't even seen Avatar but I'm sure whatever gets built will be interesting in the same sense that I never saw MiB or Mummy but love those rides.

But I'm guessing that you also think that attendance at DHS/DAK/all of WDW has fallen off a cliff and per cap spending is way down and WDW managers are running around every day smashing the panic button. I mean... Avatar boat ride... maybe your proficiencies are still up to date?

Edit to add... all the people over there claiming to have seen the plans :rolleyes:

Edit 2: This Cyclone guy is entertaining.

There were actually quite a few people who were up in arms about TF coming to Uni. Go back and look. The only reason is it's being celebrated is A. the fact that an E-ticket is being squeezed into an old abandoned building and B. the speed at which is going up, which has really never been seen around here.

The tree-bike concept sounded pretty damn cool... but I always knew this would be a 3D attraction. Cameron loves 3D... and himself.

I think the reason were listed as a Uni-centric board is because of timing as it was created in 2008. Since 2008 lets face it Universal is kicking Disney butt when it comes to new and exciting attractions. So if you establish a board just before a certain resort goes on a expansion spree and the entire WEB has non stop updates about all of them while another resort sort of sits idle, its kind of easy to see why a lot of members talk about Universal a lot more. I mean its simple, there is more to talk about. Its Orlando United not Universal United. I love Disney more than you think but until they decide to put their money where their mouth is and start building something other than kiddie lands and meet and greets OR hosting press announcements for additional seating at a show that long past its prime their going to fall second to whats hot now. And that is Universal by a land slide.

So lets see here, since 2008 here are your changes to each resort

DISNEY

Epcot's Spaceship Earth officially re-opens after a makeover
Disney announces it will close all six Pleasure Island clubs
Toy Story Midway Mania Opens
Yak and Yeti Restaurant Opens

The American Idol Experience opens
Stitch's SuperSonic Celebration opens in Tomorrowland
The Virgin Megastore at Downtown Disney in Walt Disney World closes.
The Hall of Presidents officially re-opens in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, with new speeches by Barack Obama and George Washington.

Captain EO Returns to Epcot
Disney announces its canceling ESPN Weekends

Enchanted Tiki Room restored to old show
New M&G for Mickey Mouse complete with Fastpass
Star Tours is reinvented using HD3D

Fantasyland Expansion
Storybook Circus
Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow at DHS

2013-2015 (NOT ALL CONFIRMED)
Snow White and Seven Dwarves Coaster
New Princess Fairy Tale Hall
New FL Bathrooms
Epcot?
DHS-Carsland 2016-2017?
AK-Avatar 2016-2017?
And possibly more...

Universal Orlando

Disaster Opens
The Simpsons Ride opens
The Boneyard closes

The Music Plaza Opens
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit Opens

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Opens

Jimmy Neutron Closes
Universal 360 is discontinued
The Closure of Amity and Jaws is announced

Universal Cinematic Spectacular Opens
New Parade Premiers
Despicable Me Minion Mayhem Opens
Spongebob Storepants opens
The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman Reopens in 4KHD

2013-15 (NOT ALL CONFIRMED)

Transformers
Potter Phase 2 with two E-tickets
Springfield
FFL Replacement
New Suess Ride
T2 Upgrades
Shrek Replacement
And possibly more...

I'm sure I'm missing things here and there for both resorts but I think this kind of explains why so many here spend more time in the Universal forum then they do the Disney ones.

Links to blueprint pics leaked on a certain magical site. Be quick, they'll be gone shortly. Can't post here, don't want to cause legal complications for OU.

Reactions: BJCool
Status
Not open for further replies.