Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 87 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also don't really think it's fair to say the "project" was announced in 2011. Really, we still haven't had an announcement for the project. All that press conference did was show off Iger's shiny new toy. Which he promptly played with for 2 seconds then got tired of.

So, I haven't read all 115 pages, but is Avatarland dead? I would assume this as the project was announced in 2011 (whilst I was last in WDW) and there's practically been NOTHING since. Lame.

the plan all along was to start construction in 2013 with movement going on at CMM right now there is still evidence that its still in motion...if you dont see anything by summer i would say all bets are off

the plan all along was to start construction in 2013 with movement going on at CMM right now there is still evidence that its still in motion...if you dont see anything by summer i would say all bets are off
They were able to plop down Camp Minnie-Mickey because the land had been cleared for Beastly Kingdom. Land was cleared for the meet and greets before the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train replaced them. Buildings were demolished for Hyperion Warf. The project still has plenty of time to die.

They were able to plop down Camp Minnie-Mickey because the land had been cleared for Beastly Kingdom. Land was cleared for the meet and greets before the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train replaced them. Buildings were demolished for Hyperion Warf. The project still has plenty of time to die.

didnt say the plan was dying just that there is evidence out there that it is not dead..it may very well die but disney wouldnt move FOTLK just the heck of it

Correct, they already committed to moving the meet and greets. I believe they'll actually save and make money by moving these things. Central shops at DAK will do better as will the ones in Africa and they can downsize the DAK labor force

FOTLK was moving no matter what. CMM will be used for the next DAK addition whether that be Avatar or not.

yeah i ve heard that on other boards and im not buying it for a second.....whether its avatar or something else (like MI) i would bet something is going there... Disney gets constantly ripped for penny pinching (deservedly so) so why bother building an entire new theatre

JMO

yeah i ve heard that on other boards and im not buying it for a second.....whether its avatar or something else (like MI) i would bet something is going there... Disney gets constantly ripped for penny pinching (deservedly so) so why bother building an entire new theatre

JMO
Because they were already removing half the reason to go back there (meet and greets), and by moving all of it, they will actually make more money in the end.

Last edited:
Is it August yet? I don't want to wish away my summer, but i feel like
I've been awaiting a real d23 announcement for 4 years

I agree, they had to move that stuff, it was too far away from everything for so little. So condensing it into other areas makes sense. If something is going to back there it needs to be more than two things and one being meet and greets. But just because they are moving stuff, doesn't mean something will right away get placed back there. I think eventually we will get something back there, there is too much land.

Just got back from a presentation from Dennis Lind, VP of Disney Engineering. I asked him about the Avatar project and he was able to confirm a few things:
-There will definitely be an E-ticket involving interactive technology (advanced motion sim which I think was mentioned before)
-There will be stilt walkers dressed as Avatars
-And they are working on getting islands to float overhead. (how they will do this I have no idea)

Nothing major but still pretty exciting stuff!

Real floating islands? Well, smaller scale islands & using force perspective will surely be part of it. Only way I could think of would be if they constructed a huge dome that makes it look like your outside & hange the islands off the ceiling.

Real floating islands? Well, smaller scale islands & using force perspective will surely be part of it. Only way I could think of would be if they constructed a huge dome that makes it look like your outside & hange the islands off the ceiling.

An entire dome encompassing the whole land would be rather pricey though. I agree with you on the small scale, but maybe if they're held in the air by transparent suspension wires?

I hated Avatar. I fell asleep when I saw that movie in theaters. And that's saying something because I never fall asleep during movies. I would much rather see anything else that's at least decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.