Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Nintendo had more fans, there are more fanatics when if comes to Harry Potter. When a family goes to WWoHP most people knows pretty much a significant amount about the franchise regardless of age. If I were to go to a Nintendo park area with my family they would know Mario and Pikachu but I would have to explain Zelda, Kirby, and Metroid (heck I haven't even played any Metroid games). HP has, for better or worse, defined a generation like Stars Wars did before (and is actually still doing today).

Even if Nintendo had more fans, there are more fanatics when if comes to Harry Potter. When a family goes to WWoHP most people knows pretty much a significant amount about the franchise regardless of age. If I were to go to a Nintendo park area with my family they would know Mario and Pikachu but I would have to explain Zelda, Kirby, and Metroid (heck I haven't even played any Metroid games). HP has, for better or worse, defined a generation like Stars Wars did before (and is actually still doing today).

You would have to explain Zelda and Kirby? I think you fellows underestimate Nintendo's fanbase but they flood nerd conventions worldwide for cosplay, tournaments, and panels on a scale that far upstages anything done for Potter. Nintendo has larger network of fans that's more global. And parents DO know Nintendo as much as Potter. They buy and play the games for/with their kids.

B effing S.

Jaws and Horizons are almost equal. Both were big, lavish rides that emboddied the spirit of their respective parks, and bother were largely ignored by the masses after a decade of use.

"Ride the movies" was the whole park and what Jaws embodied. Epcot only dedicated a fourth of it's park to "futureworld," so no, Horizons didn't embody the park, only a leg of it.

*rolls eyes... again*

You know what I have to say to that?

[video=youtube;FPxY8lpYAUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM[/video]

Reactions: AcidPop
"Ride the movies" was the whole park and what Jaws embodied. Epcot only dedicated a fourth of it's park to "futureworld," so no, Horizons didn't embody the park, only a leg of it.

Epcot's dedication:

"To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship—welcome. EPCOT is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere in the world."

So yea, Horizons was the embodiment of that. Saying any differently is either being ignorant or purposefully stubborn.

Sorry, your princess is in another castle.

Epcot's dedication:

"To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship—welcome. EPCOT is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere in the world."

So yea, Horizons was the embodiment of that. Saying any differently is either being ignorant or purposefully stubborn.

Sorry, your princess is in another castle.

"Wonders of enterprise?" Test Track--Check. "Concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all?" Mission Space--Check. And both are original Disney rides. And, while sponsored, Disney didn't sell out their own brand for a Warner Brothers' property. More befitting trade.

"Wonders of enterprise?" Test Track--Check. "Concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all?" Mission Space--Check. And both are original Disney rides. And, while sponsored, Disney didn't sell out their own brand for a Warner Brothers' property. More befitting trade.

Okay, so you're being purposefully stubborn. Noted.

Right back at ya ;)

Not really. You said Horizons and Jaws weren't analogs at all. I proved they are, and you changed the subject.

As for the whole "Universal selling out their brand" which came out of no where, Potter is still "riding the movies". So if we're going with that, it still is a proper trade. Make up you mind. Are we talking about selling out your own brand or changing what the park is about?

On the same foot, isn't Avatar and Nintendo selling out the brand? How is it any different?

Not really. You said Horizons and Jaws weren't analogs at all. I proved they are, and you changed the subject.

As for the whole "Universal selling out their brand" which came out of no where, Potter is still "riding the movies". So if we're going with that, it still is a proper trade. Make up you mind. Are we talking about selling out your own brand or changing what the park is about?

On the same foot, isn't Avatar and Nintendo selling out the brand? How is it any different?

We're talking about embodiment. Universal Studios implies Universal movies (otherwise it'd be called Studios). We're now down one Universal film in place of a third party money-grabber. At Epcot, the replacements for Horizon and WoM still embody Epcot's purposes while also remaining Disney. So Jaws is not to Universal what they are to Epcot. You're the one that brought up Epcot attractions when we were talking about a Disney expansion that, of all parks, would never be at Epcot.

Talking about Nintendo or Avatar expansions is different than WWoHP's regarding what is replaced. Nintendo is completely theoretical so there is really nothing to say for it, but Avatar would, in all likelyhood, replace Camp MM. Both the characters and FOLK would be moved to different locations and remain intact. So Avatar wouldn't actually replace any attractions, only shuffling them elsewhere. Disney wouldn't be selling themselves out in a case like that if they still preserve what was theirs. My problem was with Universal dogging its own branded attraction for Potter. If you don't see a difference, than it's because you are stubborn.

We're talking about embodiment. Universal Studios implies Universal movies (otherwise it'd be called Studios). We're now down one Universal film in place of a third party money-grabber.

First, I'd greatly disagree with USF should only be Universal movies. And again, you're changing the rules. You started by saying "Ride the Movies" now it's "Ride the Universal Movies".

And actually, we're equal on Universal movies. Losing Jaws and gaining Despicable Me.

Talking about Nintendo or Avatar expansions is different than WWoHP's regarding what is replaced. Nintendo is completely theoretical so there is really nothing to say for it, but Avatar would, in all likelyhood, replace Camp MM. Both the characters and FOLK would be moved to different locations and remain intact. So Avatar wouldn't actually replace any attractions, only shuffling them elsewhere. Disney wouldn't be selling themselves out in a case like that if they still preserve what was theirs. My problem was with Universal dogging its own branded attraction for Potter. If you don't see a difference, than it's because you are stubborn.

Well, this is a lot of hypothetical. And I realize Potter and Avatar isn't the same. I was just responding to the situation you put forth, before you changed your point.

The most popular attractions at Disney's Hollywood Studios aren't Disney. Why should Universal be any different? Especially considering Universal's movies have been lackluster.

First, I'd greatly disagree with USF should only be Universal movies. And again, you're changing the rules. You started by saying "Ride the Movies" now it's "Ride the Universal Movies".

And actually, we're equal on Universal movies. Losing Jaws and gaining Despicable Me.

Well, this is a lot of hypothetical. And I realize Potter and Avatar isn't the same. I was just responding to the situation you put forth, before you changed your point.

Universal doesn't own Dreamworks. And to say I'm "changing rules" is to imply there are rules on forums in regards to debating. If we're discussing things like this, it makes sense the ideas expand the more we type. "Ride the movies" at Universal gives an instant expectation of Universal movies. At least it used too, anyhow. I'm not trying to dupe you. The origin of this was you saying replacing Jaws (Universal) with Potter (non-Universal) is the same as Disney replacing Horizons and WoM (Disney) with Test Track and Mission Space (also Disney). Yes, Potter and Jaws embody "Ride the Movies" and, yes, WoM, Horizons, Mission Space, and TT embody Epcot's mission statement, but there are not equals. One lessens the strength of Universal Studio's own name and the other doesn't, which is where I drew my line that they are not equals. I understand you only find that minor detail but I, and several others, don't. So to declare them equal replacements would not fly for a person like me. There is a difference.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
But Universal owns Universal and Despicable me is Universal, not Dreamworks.

Snap! I forgot it was Universal. But, for the record, Universal doesn't own Universal.

I really hope you're, like, 16-years-old. Otherwise....yeeeeeah. :doh:

Anyway, maybe we SHOULD stay on topic, guys. Because all this Nintendo stuff is just resulting in a lot of snappish behavior.

So...yeah. Blah dee blah, blue people, Pandora...anything else?

Unforeseen snappy behavior, to boot. I suppose you're right thought. Yep, them Na'vi sure are blue and stuff but it matters now. Nothing ever in the world besides Star Wars can ever compete with Harry Potter. Ever. Anything else would laughable.

Last edited:
Universal doesn't own Dreamworks. And to say I'm "changing rules" is to imply there are rules on forums in regards to debating. If we're discussing things like this, it makes sense the ideas expand the more we type. "Ride the movies" at Universal gives an instant expectation of Universal movies. At least it used too, anyhow. I'm not trying to dupe you. The origin of this was you saying replacing Jaws (Universal) with Potter (non-Universal) is the same as Disney replacing Horizons and WoM (Disney) with Test Track and Mission Space (also Disney). Yes, Potter and Jaws embody "Ride the Movies" and, yes, WoM, Horizons, Mission Space, and TT embody Epcot's mission statement, but there are not equals. One lessens the strength of Universal Studio's own name and the other doesn't, which is where I drew my line that they are not equals. I understand you only find that minor detail but I, and several others, don't. So to declare them equal replacements would not fly for a person like me. There is a difference.

Except Despicable Me is Illumination which is owned by Universal.

As for the whole "equal replacements" I find Potter to be a much more equal replacement because it'll actually be a damn good attraction that lives up to its predecessor, unlike Disney's slop they've put into EPCOT. So yea, one of them does lessen the power of the park.

Except Despicable Me is Illumination which is owned by Universal.

As for the whole "equal replacements" I find Potter to be a much more equal replacement because it'll actually be a damn good attraction that lives up to its predecessor, unlike Disney's slop they've put into EPCOT. So yea, one of them does lessen the power of the park.

But wait, isn't bringing up what attractions you find superior "changing the rules?!" For shame. Except your point about superior attractions boils down to individual opinions...my point about the Uni and Epcot's replacements not being equal doesn't.

Yeah I know it is not independent I guess that was poor attempt at being funny. Didn't realize it made me sound incorrect, my bad.

Nah, it was funny. And you made me look the bigger fool so Hakuna Matata :)

Status
Not open for further replies.