Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They'd have to have a lot of glowy plants and AWESOME creature animatronics to make it look cooler than a castle, at least to me. And everyone keeps telling me animatronics probably won't happen because they'll go with screens instead, and as an animatronic fanatic, that makes me a sad panda.

I'm a fan of animatronics, too, but I'd prefer screens over Disco Na'vi... :bang:

Since the plan is for an entire land, I can't see how they would get away without some AAs. The signature E-Ticket attraction is rumored to be a screen based attraction similar in effect to a 3D Soarin'. But with an entire land there will be more than one attraction. I expect there to be some cool AAs somewhere in the land.

All that said. I believe it when it opens (not started, but actually opened).

Haha! Oh, you've got a point there. But imagine the impact a life-sized animatronic Na'vi could have.

If they could somehow design a ride that made you actually control an Avatar they would have a pretty big hit on their hands. A "Soarin" type ride seems like a really cheap and easy cop out. I would expect Cameron and Co to do something a little more revolutionary. This guy is all about pushing boundries, not about doing a copy cat ride.

I guess we will see.

I'm hoping for some Na'vi meet 'n greets as well.

This may sound insane, but I think the best way to pull off the immersive, illuminecent world of Pandora is by having the entire land enclosed.

Having the entire land enclosed would give them more control over the lighting, sound effects, and other environmental elements. I imagine a domed-structure with an advanced ceiling for effects.

Definitely an enclosed environment would be best! Imagine a walk-through attraction of the forest and being around the tree, everything glowing. It'd be so amazing! I'd love that!

Reactions: Cwoolboy
a giant dome would be great, I just think it would be super expensive....especially if it's covering an entire land. I guess the show buildings wouldn't have to be covered...

:lol: Starts as a dome then after budget cuts ends up being a sun shade.

While I still think an enclosed Pandora is the best idea, I too admit that it may be costly. And with Disney's budget-cutting, you gotta wonder how much they're willing to invest n this project.

I suppose this is the first official word in a long time that all is still go. :shrug:

Recently posted on the Disney Parks Blog, the following quote from a Q&A with Imagineer Joe Rhode brings up that he is supposedly hard at work designing AVATAR concepts.

What are you looking forward to next?

When I think about the AVATAR story and Disney’s Animal Kingdom, I see the value systems that underlie both. We have the opportunity to tell that story in a way that will make the AVATAR experience feel like a natural part of Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

All of us who are designers have an opportunity to take the work we are given and make it something unexpected. That’s how we help the company to grow and expand into new areas.

It just seemed kind of bland to me. Like he was not really all that excited. Not like there is much to give anyway.

Real construction on this according to some sources is not slated to start until near 2013. We are a long ways away.

It just seemed kind of bland to me. Like he was not really all that excited. Not like there is much to give anyway.

Real construction on this according to some sources is not slated to start until near 2013. We are a long ways away.

I really don't think he is excited about the project. This park is his baby and judging by his personality and passion towards recreating that TRUE representation of the Animal Kingdom. I would think he views this as a sell out and will in fact not fit in no matter what the overall point of the story is. If he was in charge I guarantee, well almost guarantee he would place this in the backlot at DHS.

Joe Rohde's interviews are usually passionate and interesting. His response to Avatar seemed vague at best. Maybe he's truly against the Avatar idea or maybe he's just not sure on it's future yet.

I really don't think he is excited about the project. This park is his baby and judging by his personality and passion towards recreating that TRUE representation of the Animal Kingdom. I would think he views this as a sell out and will in fact not fit in no matter what the overall point of the story is. If he was in charge I guarantee, well almost guarantee he would place this in the backlot at DHS.

Totally agree with that. I don't think the Imagineers have it easy trying to keep budgets and please CEOs. I am sure he is not too thrilled about the suits just gave creative control to James Cameron. It just kind of creates one more hoop to jump through.

Raven on WDWMagic says the land will be largely indoors and not located in a spot we think Avatar is going to go. When someone asked if it would be like an apple store that is 11.5 acres in size, Raven said yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.