Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion

NRJ...what can I say, I understand why people like it....they achieved what they set out to do with it from what I can tell. It's part of the overall mood they're trying to convey with the rest of the land, and using the latest in digital and lighting effects.

It did remind me of Journey to the Center of the Earth in DisneySea which I know most of you haven't been on, but on that ride, it's just the beginning of the experience and a lot more things happen.

NRJ is about 1-2 minutes too short overall, I think everyone can agree with that, and one amazing animatronic doesn't alone make it a great ride. Speaking of which, how many actual animatronics are in the entire Pandora area? I know the first Na'vi you see in the ride is NOT an animatronic but a clever lighting effect.

NRJ...what can I say, I understand why people like it....they achieved what they set out to do with it from what I can tell. It's part of the overall mood they're trying to convey with the rest of the land, and using the latest in digital and lighting effects.

It did remind me of Journey to the Center of the Earth in DisneySea which I know most of you haven't been on, but on that ride, it's just the beginning of the experience and a lot more things happen.

NRJ is about 1-2 minutes too short overall, I think everyone can agree with that, and one amazing animatronic doesn't alone make it a great ride. Speaking of which, how many actual animatronics are in the entire Pandora area? I know the first Na'vi you see in the ride is NOT an animatronic but a clever lighting effect.

The pacing in journey was way better and more intriguing.

Without giving away spoilers, has anyone heard about or had any bouts of motion sickness on Flight of Passage? Do you wear 3-D glasses while riding?

Without giving away spoilers, has anyone heard about or had any bouts of motion sickness on Flight of Passage? Do you wear 3-D glasses while riding?

I'm actually in line right now for the ride. This will be my second time riding. No motion sickness for me but I can't speak for others. Yes you wear 3D glasses.

A few mild reports of queasiness from sensitive individuals is all I've heard. Yes you wear 3D glasses but it's very clear and not disorienting.

My girlfriend won't ride Forbidden Journey or Spider-Man due to motion sickness but she was fine on Flight of Passage. (And I was really worried for her, but she didn't mind it at all, and she HATES 3D normally too.)

I wonder if Disney bought a bunch of Banshees from eBay just to have them in stock again. So odd to only get such a small shipment of only blue and only enough to last a day in.

3d has improved a lot with higher frame rates, resolution, recording, and projection. Apart from the small percentage of people who can't deal with it, 3d is often hated on unnecessarily.

I never get motion sickness on 3D rides and this on got me sick. My stomach wasn't right for 30 mins. And I didn't eat anything before I went on it. It was the simulated loops toward the end that bothered me.

I never get motion sickness on 3D rides and this on got me sick. My stomach wasn't right for 30 mins. And I didn't eat anything before I went on it. It was the simulated loops toward the end that bothered me.

They do loops? Geeez, that is really pushing the senses... I believe your ears and your eyes would have a bit of a battle over going upside down.

Sunday morning. Another good day to visit Pandora & AK. Decent ride times at 10:40 AM;
*FOP ......................90 minutes
*Navii River...........60 minutes
*Kilimanjaro Safari 20 minutes
*Everest.................35 minutes
Kali Rapids.............10 minutes
Dinosaur.................no time listed

Update: Stand By times at 3:00 PM
* FOP...........60 minutes
*Navii..........75 minutes
*Everest.......45 minutes
*Dinosaur....40 minutes
*Kilimanjaro.15 minutes

Last edited:

Same. I was DONE after one ride but it was worth it. I felt the same way after one ride on this that I feel after 2 or 3 rides on FJ.

Same. I was DONE after one ride but it was worth it. I felt the same way after one ride on this that I feel after 2 or 3 rides on FJ.
During the first couple of years with FJ I was OK after one ride, just a little mild nausea, but if I tried to do a second soon after I was feeling pretty woozy. But since they toned the FJ movements down, I don't feel any motion sickness, even on repeat rides. And I'm fine on Simpsons and all the others. The only thing in the Universal parks that gives me motion sickness is Dragon Challenge. I feel lousy for a couple of hours after riding that, so I don't even try anymore.

During the first couple of years with FJ I was OK after one ride, just a little mild nausea, but if I tried to do a second soon after I was feeling pretty woozy. But since they toned the FJ movements down, I don't feel any motion sickness, even on repeat rides. And I'm fine on Simpsons and all the others. The only thing in the Universal parks that gives me motion sickness is Dragon Challenge. I feel lousy for a couple of hours after riding that, so I don't even try anymore.
I'm weird. I went in FJ 4 times in a row my second visit (when it first opened before taming it down) using single rider entrance. I was so intrigued by it I wanted to learn how it worked. Motion doesn't get to me I guess.

And yes, there's one simulated barrel roll while diving during the final 30 seconds of FoP. That's why I've come to appreciate the slow down part in the middle. Gives everyone a little breather before the big finish.

I'd love to know what 3D system they are using. The glasses are virtually clear. Never seen that before in a 3D system

Remember Cameron was on the forefront on revolutionizing 3D for movies in the mid to late nineties. It was him alone that ushered in the new era of 3D films, (for better or for worse,) and he's still pushing to evolve the technology further. Of course a project with him involved would be utilizing the cutting edge.

Personally I love the high frame-rate and 8K projection, and the glasses are so clear I was afraid they handed me a defective pair at first before the ride started. And the brightness is finally perfect for a 3D film. (If only they could keep the glasses from slipping off my nose.)

Here's a recent quote from him on the future of 3D:

“I’m going to push. Not only for better tools, workflow, high dynamic range and high frame rates — the things we are working toward. I’m still very bullish on 3D, but we need brighter projection, and ultimately I think it can happen — with no glasses. We’ll get there.

Magic has to amaze. That involves constant creation of new tools and techniques. The audience’s eyes adjust to what we did, and so we need to up our work.”