Photo Editing Software | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Photo Editing Software

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As many of you know I shoot items for eBay. I've been working on DoF issues with macro photography as many of the items I have sold recently are small. For those of you who don't know the DoF in macro shots is very shallow, to overcome this issue I have started playing with a technique called focus stacking.

The following three pictures are of the same item keeping lighting, exposure, white balance, ect all the same. The only difference is the focus is moved to a different part of the object.

Near focus
Focus-1.jpg

Mid focus
Focus-2.jpg

Far focus
Focus-3.jpg

You proceed to run the images through focus stacking software and you end up with the following image.

Focus-4.jpg

Keep in mind that the final image is only comprised of three images and that the results are much more visible on hi-res shots. I have tried this technique with a 12" ruler comprised of 12 shots and managed to have all the numbers in focus. Accomplishing this is not so easy by conventional means.

It would also be useful shooting landscapes in dim light using a tripod :thumbs:

Usually in that situation I will close the aperture down so the DOF isn't so shallow and taht way get more in focuse. I can see this working when shooting wide open and only getting part of the subject in focus like you describe shooting macro

Usually in that situation I will close the aperture down so the DOF isn't so shallow and taht way get more in focuse. I can see this working when shooting wide open and only getting part of the subject in focus like you describe shooting macro

I understand what you're saying as that is also what I do. Although this could increase the DoF even more. :wave: All in all it is definitely more useful for macro shots.

Is focus stacking something you could do fairly easily (i.e. at least partially automated) in Photoshop CS5? If so, I may play around with that for some ideas.

I've been trying out specific software for focus stacking called Helicon Focus. I imagine it could also be done in Photoshop with quite a bit more work :shrug:

As many of you who follow this thread know I have been setting up a studio for shooting static objects. Here is my final setup . . .

Monolight-08.jpg

The only other item I may purchase is a backdrop stand.