Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What is the general assumption of those in the know-how, as to what type of coaster this will be? I know a possible new stand-up design was once rumored, but could it be that maybe this will be a new type of wing-coaster with free-spin added?

What is the general assumption of those in the know-how, as to what type of coaster this will be? I know a possible new stand-up design was once rumored, but could it be that maybe this will be a new type of wing-coaster with free-spin added?
Signs point to this being B&M's version of a more compact launch coaster. This article goes really in depth if you want to know more. BGWFans Leaks SeaWorld Orlando's Project Penguin – BGWFans

Thanks all. Also, @Disneyhead , that would be awesome, thought they'd have to add danger puking zones instead of splashing zones lol

That's the first thing that jumped to mind for me. I'd be sick as possible for hours after riding something like this. I haven't been to Magic Mountain but I can tell you that, if I ever go, X2 will not be on my ride list.

I really think that B&M could hit this out of the park but it will depend on how forceful they make it. Their coasters have tended to be less intense, even on giga coasters. For this to work, they'll need to reverse that trend and go back to intensities such as those on early B&M coasters.

Thanks all. Also, @Disneyhead , that would be awesome, thought they'd have to add danger puking zones instead of splashing zones lol

The design shown by @Tyc00n96 does seem interesting to me, I like corkscrews and helixes ;)
The biggest question is seating. Im cool with two across seating like VC or the staggered seating like Diamonback. Both are unique for B&M especially down here.

I always thought they should have developed a standup suspended coaster. The problem with standups has always been how far away you head is from the track and the movement being magnified by the distance. Having that standing harness suspended from above would be interesting...

Reactions: anihilnation
I always thought they should have developed a standup suspended coaster. The problem with standups has always been how far away you head is from the track and the movement being magnified by the distance. Having that standing harness suspended from above would be interesting...

No, for goodness' sake, just no!! To be fair, I've long thought that standups should go the way of the dodo bird. Neat concept but just didn't translate well for me.

Reactions: Freak
While it's marketable to have the first of something, the first of any B&M always seems to be an ultra-conservative version. Oblivion is basically lift hill, drop, back into the station. Surely there has to be a train/seating innovation of some sort and not just a two-abreast launcher.

I think I'd rather have what they're building outside SW in Abu Dhabi to be honest.

Universal was just building a churro stand in their pre-announcement social media, SeaWorld is just doing a landscape project in their social media:

Location wise definitely seems nice to me, even if this is not super duper new deluxe type coaster, I actually feel pretty good about it so far. Mako too, for instance, I think is nice because of the way if follows the water.

Reactions: shiekra38
Location wise definitely seems nice to me, even if this is not super duper new deluxe type coaster, I actually feel pretty good about it so far. Mako too, for instance, I think is nice because of the way if follows the water.
Yeah, I think it will look good along there if the fan renderings are at all accurate.

I also hope this is a phase one for that area of the park, with maybe a flat ride or two being added along there so it's not all by itself along that pathway. I always thought that area could have nicely been themed as a "boardwalk" along the lakefront with a classic flat ride like a wave swing and maybe a troika themed like the ones they added in San Diego.

Reactions: anihilnation
I think this will be more of a family coaster than IB

I bet it will ride like a Wing, but with the launch aspect

Thunderbird at Holiday World has a pretty fun launch and I'm expecting the same sort of feel

I'm still a bit skeptical of how that will translate without the "wing" schtick

My fear is this will be the equivalent of a less whippy blitz, a less floaty Hyper, a less interesting wing, and a less forceful sit down/floorless

But maybe that's what they want lol

Last edited: