Possible Imagination Overhaul | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Possible Imagination Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think everyone may as well forget about the old Epcot. It's fading away and never coming back. The Festivals do great so they're not leaving. They haven't found their sweet spot yet for the rest of the park though. It'll probably be in transition for a long time since DHS will probably get the bulk of capital expansions. They really do need to do something with Innovations plus Imagination. Maybe they'll add a Summer Festival since summer is starting to seem one of their weaker parts of the calendar year in respect to what it could be.

Reactions: Ryan and Cole
I think everyone may as well forget about the old Epcot. It's fading away and never coming back. The Festivals do great so they're not leaving. They haven't found their sweet spot yet for the rest of the park though. It'll probably be in transition for a long time since DHS will probably get the bulk of capital expansions. They really do need to do something with Innovations plus Imagination. Maybe they'll add a Summer Festival since summer is starting to seem one of their weaker parts of the calendar year in respect to what it could be.

See, I've accepted that Old EPCOT Center is never coming back.

But that doesn't mean I have to like the possible Fantasyland-ing of Future Epcot. :lol:

I don't get how people can accept old EPCOT Center not coming back and then get angry at Epcot using IPs? Isn't half of what EPCOT purists like is the originality?

IPs are the future for both Disney and Universal. I just want them to use the right and appropriate IPs.

It still comes down to Disney just giving people what they know they want/can sell versus giving something original that the GP didn't know they wanted like they used to do. That's what happens when you have bean counters running things rather than creative people.

I don't get how people can accept old EPCOT Center not coming back and then get angry at Epcot using IPs? Isn't half of what EPCOT purists like is the originality?

IPs are the future for both Disney and Universal. I just want them to use the right and appropriate IPs.
Accepting the reality of a situation doesn't mean you have to like what has and is continuing to happen.

Reactions: *Q* and JungleSkip
using IPs for new attractions are here to stay. Especially after what Universal has done in the past decade. IPs are more then just "easy sells" to the public. They also help fuel merchandise sales, and help with cross promoting the source material. Notice all the rides that were built without an IP in Disney...now have matching IP entertainment/media. Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Tomorrowland...There isn't one thing in Magic Kingdom that isn't tied to some sort of IP....maybe Hall of Presidents?

Bottom line, is this isn't going to change any time soon. Potter has pretty much assured us of that.

Reactions: Cole
also Inside Out is the perfect IP for a revamped Imagination ride...If you've seen the movie you'd know why.

also Inside Out is the perfect IP for a revamped Imagination ride...If you've seen the movie you'd know why.

It'd be perfect if it wasn't a movie, sure.

Accepting the reality of a situation doesn't mean you have to like what has and is continuing to happen.

This x100000000000. Sure I get it. Doesn't mean I have to like it. What it does mean is that I can continue skipping MEHpcot.

Strange to me that a board that is so PRO-Universal has a problem with using IPs at theme parks. All of UOR rides are based off IPs...with the exception of HRRR...which is based on popular music.

but why? It's clear that Epcot needs some serious help. If that help involves IPs then so be it.

To me it negates what gives EPCOT its identity. I liked that I could go there and outside of Meet and Greets not run into character overload. If it's going down an opposite path, I don't need to spend any time there. Just me, and I'm comfortable with that. Plenty at the other parks to keep my attention.

Reactions: *Q*
Right, it just seems a little pretentious to be extremely excited about a new Kong attraction at Islands of Adventure, but not excited about a beloved IP going into Epcot, just because "It wasn't the original intention".

I understand getting upset about using IPs in World Showcase, which has some semblance of actual geography...although it's still really just a giant fantasy land with famous landmarks and Americanized foreign cuisine.

So if they decided to build a Harry Potter sized attraction at Epcot, you're telling me you wouldn't go for uh..."reasons"?

Sorry, just can't back that line of thinking.

Right, it just seems a little pretentious to be extremely excited about a new Kong attraction at Islands of Adventure, but not excited about a beloved IP going into Epcot, just because "It wasn't the original intention".

I understand getting upset about using IPs in World Showcase, which has some semblance of actual geography...although it's still really just a giant fantasy land with famous landmarks and Americanized foreign cuisine.

So if they decided to build a Harry Potter sized attraction at Epcot, you're telling me you wouldn't go for uh..."reasons"?

You're approaching the viewpoint all wrong though. USF and IOA were both designed to implement IP's. Disney has 4 parks currently, with MK being IP heavy and DHS about to get even more IP heavy. Skip's point is you have an original park but are eventually going to offer more of the same.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe

Good for you. :thumbsup:

You're approaching the viewpoint all wrong though. USF and IOA were both designed to implement IP's. Disney has 4 parks currently, with MK being IP heavy and DHS about to get even more IP heavy. Skip's point is you have an original park but are eventually going to offer more of the same.

Exactly. If EPCOT is going the DHS/MK direction of an IP-heavy park, why am I going to bother spending money there? I get enough of that with USF/IOA/MK/DHS. DAK still offers an awesome change of pace. I'd rather cut MEHpcot out for a water park.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Epcot isn't supposed to be a fantasy style park like MK, IOA, etc. it's supposed to be about celebrating human culture and accomplishments. Not shoving Disney characters in your face to make people want to drag the kiddies. I don't mind the characters if they fit, but Frozen doesn't fit in WS.

I for one agree with everything rhino is saying. If epcot came out today it would be impossible to market. WS is one thing but only one IP in futureworld (a washed out land that has multiple lion king and nemo in it) replacing a terrible ride is blasphemy? Times are changing and unfortunately original ideas don't sell anymore. They can't build a communicore, horizions or spaceship earth again, nobody would care!!!! A couple IP's will not only help the park, but make it better. Futureworld was always tomorrowland 2.0 anyways

I for one agree with everything rhino is saying. If epcot came out today it would be impossible to market. WS is one thing but only one IP in futureworld (a washed out land that has multiple lion king and nemo in it) replacing a terrible ride is blasphemy? Times are changing and unfortunately original ideas don't sell anymore. They can't build a communicore, horizions or spaceship earth again, nobody would care!!!! A couple IP's will not only help the park, but make it better. Futureworld was always tomorrowland 2.0 anyways

Yes, god forbid you MAKE them care by building an awesome attraction.

Reactions: TJwny and *Q*