Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rainforest Cafe Refurbishment

Dec 1, 2009
Orlando
New Bar and top

The Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney is adding an outside bar area called Lava Lounge and is redoing the volcano on top of the restaurant so it will erupt. The restaurant will not close during the refurbishment. The new additions are expected to be finished this fall.

403843_10150556962664330_8093464329_8842761_482347687_n.jpg

Is it bad that I just had a hysterical vision of the volcano eruption malfunctioning and exploding everywhere, melting all the flesh off the poor people milling outside in that concept art?

Yeah, probably.

Is it bad that I just had a hysterical vision of the volcano eruption malfunctioning and exploding everywhere, melting all the flesh off the poor people milling outside in that concept art?

Yeah, probably.

Funniest thing i've read all day! :lol:

This sounds like a cool idea! Who wouldn't want to get a little tipsy under a volcano?

Yeah, probably.

I'd enjoy that a lot more than the current restaurant.

Yeah, probably.
Think we could send all the Brazilian tour groups there for when that happens? :lol:

Further cementing the Rainforest Cafe as a great place to look at... but not so much to eat.

Yeah, probably.

It would be dubbed as "The Worlds Most Realistic Themed Experience.....Come get Your Face Melted Off at The New and Improved Rainforest Cafe!!!" I don't know about you but I'd sit outside and watch the carnage ensue.

dsc7674s.jpg

This picture is an EXCELLENT example of how show buildings need nothing but white paint. Average visitors see what they want you to see, because it is curious and different. I have NEVER noticed that huge hotel in the distance... and while some of you may claim that you have... I doubt it ruined your experience or caused you to sit down in deep thought. Only a 120-200mm zoom photo like this flattens the image into a horror show. Good that most of us see at 70mm.

DaMouse checked out the volcano's progress this week.

The refurbished sign:

iuBIitWvNVdIQ.jpg

The steel is still going up for the volcano:

ibwh0nrr8QlTKL.jpg

iKCBxrVuaLJN.jpg

The outdoor bar remains behind tarps but will hopefully be done soon:

iboy8jFm90LyBx.jpg

Why is this being done? Does Disney have any financial control or input into this? What is the incentive here? The two unfortunate times I have been, it was stupidly busy.

Why is this being done? Does Disney have any financial control or input into this? What is the incentive here? The two unfortunate times I have been, it was stupidly busy.

I don't believe Disney has much financial input into this, if any. The logical thing would've been Rainforest's parent company (I can't recall the name at the moment) wanting to refurb an old structure and Disney giving the green light. There's really no need to go into Rainforest when Earl of Sandwich is just a few hundred feet away. :lol: