Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rate Your Favorite Horror Night Years

IMO the event was more intense at IOA. Back then the scare zones were just over the top and worked so well within their environments. I also think the creators of HHN were being a little bit more creative back then with concepts, house locations, and offerings. Not saying everything always worked because I assure they didn't. Many people will tell you they hated the IOA years due to the crowds and lack of appropriate haunt venues. i mean some of the worst houses ever came from those years. But in the end IMO the event just seemed to be so well tied together at IOA and offered non stop scares all the way around the park, except in Suess.

This. I remember literally fearing for my life as a little kid in Island Under Siege and the Terror Mines. The streets were more energized and such and it just felt better at IOA. I just don't feel the higher scare factor at USF. Partially because I'm older and harder to scare, but its just not as scary as it was in IOA. The closest I've gotten to that lately is HHN 21. I will vouch for the crowds and waits stinking massively, but the themes, icons, and overall streets flowed much better at the other park. Also, Body Collectors, All Nite Die-In, and Screamhouse? Enough said.

Well technically Body Collectors used the Jurassic Park Discovery Center sooo.... :lol:

You guys remember the scare actors who dressed up as those Dino looking things and jump out of the bushes in the JP area? Also the guys on the stills who wore those guerrilla suits and blended in with the vegetation in JP and the rocks in the old Lost Continent turn by Flying Unicorn? We used to just hang out in that area just to see them scare the holy monkeys out of people. They were the greatest and nobody ever saw them since the blended in.

Hell yes I remember them! The stilt guys in front of Unicorn just past the Griffon statue was amazing. My wife and I would spend most of our night inbetween JP and the LC. From the moment you entered JP from TL to the moment you exited LC into Suess it was just non stop. I am gonna look for a picture of those rock guys to show those who have never seen them.

My favorite years-
1) 2009 Ripped From The Silver Screen
2) 2008 Reflections Of Fear
3) 2006 Sweet 16
4) 2010 20 Years Of Fear
5) 2011 Lady Luck
8) 2012 One You're Inside
7) 2007 Carnival Of Carnage

Hell yes I remember them! The stilt guys in front of Unicorn just past the Griffon statue was amazing. My wife and I would spend most of our night inbetween JP and the LC. From the moment you entered JP from TL to the moment you exited LC into Suess it was just non stop. I am gonna look for a picture of those rock guys to show those who have never seen them.

Hahaha, I'd love to see those pictures. Some of the best guest scares I have ever seen came from those guys. They got me once that's for sure lol. There were also those tree guys on stilts in JP, may have been the following year. They would just stand next to a tree and you would never know they were there. Man I miss those days

Favorite to least..

1. House Always Wins (21)
2. Ripped from the Silver Screen (19)
3. Twenty Years of Fear (20)
4. Carnival of Carnage (17)
5. There Is No Escape (22)
6. Reflections of Fear (18)

1. Carnival of Carnage (17)
2. Reflections of Fear (18)
3. Twenty Years of Fear (20)
4. The House Always Wins (21)
5. Ripped from the Silver Screen (19)
6. There is No Escape (22)

Apologies for reviving this thread, but I really wanted to chime in here with my thoughts.

Been going to Horror Nights for 16 years, and it's been a blast every time.

(list goes from favorite to least favorite)

1. Reflections of Fear (2008)
2. Islands of Fear (2002)
3. You Don't Know Jack! (2000)
4. What's Your Breaking Point? (2004)
5. Tales of Terror (2005)
6. The Director Will See You Now (2003)
7. Primal Scream (1998)
8. Ripped from the Silver Screen (2009)
9. The House Always Wins (2011)
10. Carnival of Carnage (2007)
11. Last Gasp (1999)
12. I.C.U. (2001)
13. Sweet 16 (2006)
14. Twenty Years of Fear (2010)
15. What Evil Has Taken Root? (2013)
16. There is No Escape (2012)

I am admittingly among those that believe HHN has gone downhill in the past two years, but even then it is still an event that I highly recommend for all newcomers.

Last edited:
I actually attended the 3rd year of the event (was in the Disney College Program). It was called Fright Night back then I believe. So it will always be my favorite as it was something nobody was doing at the time.

1. Reflections of Fear - 2008
2. 13 - 2003
3. Islands of Fear - 2002
4. Ripped from the Silver Screen - 2009
5. Sweet 16 - 2006
6. What's Your Breaking Point - 2004
7. Carnival of Carnage - 2007
8. 21 - 2011
9. Twenty Years of Fear - 2010
10. Tales of Terror - 2005
11. What Evil Has Taken Root - 2013
12. 22 - 2012

I hope we see a return to IOA in the near future. Whether it's half the park or the entire thing I really miss the event over there. I understand capacity blah blah... it can be done. The event just feels sssooo tired at USF. Bring me back to zones that I could actually get startled in. Houses that weren't right on top of each other.

If the event ever goes back to IOA or not overall A&D need to pull their notes from 2008 and return to that formula. I know it's not good to live in the past but it's due time for them to change from this bland, money making formula. Bring some personality back to the event we all love.

Last edited:
Saw the link to this thread over in the 26 speculation thread and thought I'd chime in. I've attended 12 out of the past 16 years.

My 5 favorite years for houses:
1. 2009
2. 2007
3. 2011
4. 2014
5. 2008

My 5 favorite years for scare zones:
1. 2008
2. 2006
3. 2015
4. 2010
5. 2011

My 3 least favorite years overall:
3. 2000
2. 2013
1. 2012

I've been attending every year since 2013:

#1 HHN 27 (Speechless, except for altars)
#2 HHN 25 (Everything was pure awesome)
#3 HHN 26 (Mazes were awesome, but zones killed some of the tone)
#4 HHN 24 (Everything was good, but the next 3 years just blew it away)
#5 HHN 23 (Houses were alright, Walking Dead killed the overall event atmosphere)

Each year I've attended from my favorite to least favorite. Note: None of the years I've attended are "bad" to me. Some years are just stronger than others.

1. HHN 30
2. HHN 32
3. HHN 31
4. HHN 28
5. HHN 29
6. HHN 27
7. HHN 25
8. HHN 26
9. HHN Lite (Does this one even count? lol)