Recent Debates/Problems/Etc on Forum | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Recent Debates/Problems/Etc on Forum

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And to add we do not hate Disney to hate Disney. We are disappointed in the direction the company has taken Walt Disney World as it not only is not what we fell in love with in the 80s and 90s, but we think it's going in a bad direction that'll lead to fewer attractions, higher prices, and worse guest satisfaction. We see it as cashing in on reputation for profits now. We're worried because we do care a lot about either the Walt Disney Company's offering and/or its parks. I've met people who legitimately HATE Disney, it's movies, parks, and everything.

I can agree with this statement. As many of you know I go to Disney a lot and while I love a lot they have to offer, I also dislike some of their stuff. I also sometimes give them the benefit of the doubt. The majority of people on here I have zero issues with when it comes to the negative statements they make about Disney. I think where it sometimes goes too far is when people attack the Disney "lovers" on here. A handful of times I have really cringed at a anti-Disney posts because it is going after the people who might have a more positive outlook on future things. I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing future things for what they are instead of just stating, "It is Disney, they will mess it up and you all are dreaming if you think anything else will happen". So it is more those blanket negative comments that shut down a lot of the good discussions we have on Disney. Again, it is not the majority of people on here, just a select few.

I guess I come back to the Uni dark years, eventually it did get better and some positive things occurred after many many many bad decisions. So I see nothing wrong with discussing the positive aspects of Pandora, SWL, or TSL. Because there is positives, there is some hope that some of these things will be really good, and there is a lot of stuff to discuss. But when trying to discuss the positive sometimes you get people who just say, "You are all dreaming". What if that was all stated when HP1 phase was being built? Because based on Uni history that project could have had the same negative comments, but it didn't. Good discussions occurred. This board gained its popularity because of those good discussions. So I see nothing wrong with just letting people discuss this stuff. If you just want to post a one liner dig at Disney, how about you step back and decide to not do this and let the conversation continue. I have no problem with debating how long the land will take, what cuts are being done, etc. My only issue is with cutting down people for even thinking something in Pandora might be cool or TSL might help the park, or SWL might be an awesome addition and bring in the crowds. There is no reason people can't talk about these things without being called dreamers.

Just because you disagree with it doesn't make their opinion "Anti-Disney". So to just generalize this site as "Anti-Disney/Pro-Uni" is a huge misnomer. I'll use JungleSkip as an example. I've seen him get pegged as "Anti-Disney, Pro-Uni" a lot where really he's critical of both. It just so happens he finds more to be critical of on Disney because he feels they deserve it in his opinion.

Actually, this wasn't really what I meant at all. I don't mind the well deserved criticisms of Disney, I agree with them. Some of the jokes are tiresome, but that's the same on any forum. Mostly because I've read them 50+ times before.

I'm a fan of both parks equally, I also have realistic expectations that both have their serious flaws. Universal is no longer an under-dog, so doesn't need the defence force prowling for every decision they make.

I keep dancing around it and editing my post... so I'll just come out and say it:

The two events that really left me cold were how nasty Teebin was towards Mike S and how nasty people reacted to WhyLightBulb. That's one thing, but when people are called out against their bias, it's quickly swept away by moderation.

At a certain point the optimism left the forum. I don't know why and can't place my finger on it. But the fact we are having this conversation means others have noticed too.

That's my two cents at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick and RevFreako
Actually, this wasn't really what I meant at all. I don't mind the well deserved criticisms of Disney, I agree with them. Some of the jokes are tiresome, but that's the same on any forum. Mostly because I've read them 50+ times before.

I'm a fan of both parks equally, I also have realistic expectations that both have their serious flaws. Universal is no longer an under-dog, so doesn't need the defence force prowling for every decision they make.

I keep dancing around it and editing my post... so I'll just come out and say it:

The two events that really left me cold were how nasty Teebin was towards Mike S and how nasty people reacted to WhyLightBulb. That's one thing, but when people are called out against their bias, it's quickly swept away by moderation.

At a certain point the optimism left the forum. I don't know why and can't place my finger on it. But the fact we are having this conversation means others have noticed too.

That's my two cents at least.

Fair enough. Fwiw, the 2 issues were handled privately. We did not let them slide.

Also, the info on the first page. Do you feel there are any additional info that you feel should be provided?

Reactions: brianlo
Fair enough. Fwiw, the 2 issues were handled privately. We did not let them slide.

Also, the info on the first page. Do you feel there are any additional info that you feel should be provided?

I doubt this would be possible but if a post got enough likes, could it somehow become highlighted and then going through a thread from page 1, only the highlighted posts are visible.

It could be a good way of seeing some of the more important posts?

Reactions: Macfr3ak
This may have not been directed towards me but... I think news releases related to the topic should be included as well as summary of the rumors.

People don't hate Disney, they hate that the standards they use to have went down the drain while at the same time Universal standards went up. I mean why should we reward a company and say its okay for them to put out a mediocre product. They need to be held to standards; right now Universal is positively trending. They should be praised so they continue to do better and I'm sure if Universal slips in their standards many of this posts most likely will and should be harsh on Comcast as well.

I doubt this would be possible but if a post got enough likes, could it somehow become highlighted and then going through a thread from page 1, only the highlighted posts are visible.

Could news items be pinned?

@BriMan I really like how the 1st post on the Kong thread looks, but could there also be links to other official documents or links to the first post that mentions them? I'm thinking permits and the such.

Reactions: Brian G.

I think it looks good and I am happy to hear that. Thank you for addressing my concerns!

Reactions: Brian G.
Could news items be pinned?

Pinned in what way?

@BriMan I really like how the 1st post on the Kong thread looks, but could there also be links to other official documents or links to the first post that mentions them? I'm thinking permits and the such.

I would love to, but I'm not about to go through 300 pages between 10 or so different "major project" threads. :lol:

Here's what I've noticed as I peruse through the threads...What I see as the main issue is of tonal ignorance. Let me explain...

This isn't a bash on anyone because I'm just as prone to do this as the next person. It's been mentioned before but I'll reiterate it...You can't tell how people are saying what they're saying on the interwebs. This is honestly the biggest pitfall for any progressive kind of conversation. The mediation/solution here is simply understanding that not every word spoken is an attack on your opinion. The other side of that is knowing your role. This is a theme park forum, not a freaking democracy of corporate power that has a proverbial ladder leading to the top. We're here to discuss theme parks and the inner workings of the very places we love. Your opinion is just that...an opinion. If you're not one of the few people on these boards that has genuine information from trusted sources then all you have to go on is an educated guess formulated around what you see/hear happening around these boards and elsewhere. That's it. Deal with it.

Unfortunately, as others have said, we're not always going to get along. That's ok. We don't have to. It's the beauty of human life: difference. That's acceptable. What's not acceptable is handling moments of confrontation like children. Obviously the only thing I have to go on with these boards (in terms of age/maturity) is how you go about conducting yourself. This includes your manner of approach, your knowledgeable and respectful presentations, and lastly, your grammar. For the most part I've deducted that the majority of us are adults.

If so, why is that we can't handle disagreements like adults? This isn't grade school anymore. As disappointing as it is, it seems that many people in our world are still operating out of a high schoolers mindset. Simple solution: grow up and deal with uncomfortable situations like a mature adult (to the best of your abilities).

I love theme parks. You love theme parks. I love understanding how they work and the amount of time it goes into making it work. You do too. Don't ruin the beauty of it all by being childish. Let our common interest be the motivation to strive for peace amongst ourselves. Enough of this pre-pubescent banter.

Much love.

Reactions: anihilnation
ALright so im LATE to this thread didnt notice it was going on even though i believe i was on in between posts here.

IM SO GLAD THIS THREAD WAS CREATED!

I just want to say that i can agree with many posts in here about first timers. Heck i've been part of the forums for a bit and every time i go to post something i still feel like a frist timer second guessing how i'm going to get my thought/idea in writing to not be called out for it. HOWEVER, i will say its just part of being new to a forum like being new to school or a new job. It takes time to settle in and get a feel for people as we all have our way of being and that is only magnified further on the internet where you wear a mask of sorts.

I will echoe some thoughts and then i will insert quoted posts after i just spent about 30 minutes reading this whole thing.. lol

BriMan - You do a phenomenal job with this site. Truly.

HTF - Im glad to see you back on here more often!

JungleSkip - Your input is always welcoming and thought producing man.

MadDog - I agree with all the positive feedback you have received. you are a prime example of how gratitude and disagreement should be handled. I find my self thinking of how you would write things when writing as of late.

Scott - Love the activity and your readiness to respond to others

Testtrack - Excelent modding, thank you

lastly Izzy - The one person I have ever had a back and forth disagreement with and it was all only cause of tone being taken out of context you are a great member to have on this forum and love reading your posts and reading your side of things.

i left some out but with out everyone on here this site wouldn't be.
=========================================================================

It's great to see Hate To Fly assuming a real active role again. He's what originally brought me to the site and I really felt something missing during his "almost" absence. His light handed, friendly approach, plus his knowledge, add so very much to OU. :thumbsup:

This.

Still, the internet can be a very hard place to judge tone and intent.
which i have noticed has been a main source of all of this lately.

anti Disney bias, I agree but I think more to the point is there are legitimate concerns about the issues Disney faces and the way management is running the parks.
Let's not get butt hurt when some one critiques something. If we are criticizing it, it is cause we care. and i for one have bashed Disney but I am also an AP member of both parks and some one who spends alot of money on both properties i do however feel the need to agree with many ideas of lack of focus on parks.

I think this would help a great deal. Reason, a lot of backlash can be received if you don't do your duty of skimming through previous pages of a thread. That however can be very time consuming sometimes so if you jump the gun and say something you were not aware f has been discussed it may find you wanting to crawl back into a cave.

To wrap up my very long post (VERY SORRY) this site is by far an exceptional site. It really doesnt compare to any other site on this topic of themeparks. I ended up here almost exactly the same way MartyMcFly did and tried to dive right in until i noticed there was levels to this "stuff". I was though a COMPLETE ROOKIE to all forums in general unless myspace tumblr or facebook are considered a forum in any aspect... lol

Thanks all! and lets all get a long and agree or disagree respectfully!

EDIT: Can't leave out Teebin and Disneyhead :bang:

Last edited:
ALright so im LATE to this thread didnt notice it was going on even though i believe i was on in between posts here.

IM SO GLAD THIS THREAD WAS CREATED!

I just want to say that i can agree with many posts in here about first timers. Heck i've been part of the forums for a bit and every time i go to post something i still feel like a frist timer second guessing how i'm going to get my thought/idea in writing to not be called out for it. HOWEVER, i will say its just part of being new to a forum like being new to school or a new job. It takes time to settle in and get a feel for people as we all have our way of being and that is only magnified further on the internet where you wear a mask of sorts.

I will echoe some thoughts and then i will insert quoted posts after i just spent about 30 minutes reading this whole thing.. lol

BriMan - You do a phenomenal job with this site. Truly.

HTF - Im glad to see you back on here more often!

JungleSkip - Your input is always welcoming and thought producing man.

MadDog - I agree with all the positive feedback you have received. you are a prime example of how gratitude and disagreement should be handled. I find my self thinking of how you would write things when writing as of late.

Scott - Love the activity and your readiness to respond to others

Testtrack - Excelent modding, thank you

lastly Izzy - The one person I have ever had a back and forth disagreement with and it was all only cause of tone being taken out of context you are a great member to have on this forum and love reading your posts and reading your side of things.

i left some out but with out everyone on here this site wouldn't be.
=========================================================================

This.

which i have noticed has been a main source of all of this lately.

Let's not get butt hurt when some one critiques something. If we are criticizing it, it is cause we care. and i for one have bashed Disney but I am also an AP member of both parks and some one who spends alot of money on both properties i do however feel the need to agree with many ideas of lack of focus on parks.

I think this would help a great deal. Reason, a lot of backlash can be received if you don't do your duty of skimming through previous pages of a thread. That however can be very time consuming sometimes so if you jump the gun and say something you were not aware f has been discussed it may find you wanting to crawl back into a cave.

To wrap up my very long post (VERY SORRY) this site is by far an exceptional site. It really doesnt compare to any other site on this topic of themeparks. I ended up here almost exactly the same way MartyMcFly did and tried to dive right in until i noticed there was levels to this "stuff". I was though a COMPLETE ROOKIE to all forums in general unless myspace tumblr or facebook are considered a forum in any aspect... lol

Thanks all! and lets all get a long and agree or disagree respectfully!
Excellent post. You did a nice summary of the gist of what this was all about. And, thank you much for your kind words. To sum it up the best I can without using too many words: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: IzzyB and Macfr3ak
I've found this community to be a pretty nice place to gather new info. on the parks, learn some things I never knew. There are also a bunch of cool, friendly and helpful people here. I've only had one encounter with someone who I will not name that could have escalated but I choose to not respond.

But all in all, it's the internet and it's a forum, so people will have their differences and that's that. :fight:

I honestly don't know how to approach this, and this may be the wrong way about handling it - but it needs to be said and hopefully we can iron the kinks out.

In recent months, I've seen debates get heated; where some responses get a little too venomous - and certain groups have established lines in the sand where it's always the same people trying to zing each other. In addition, I've received several complaints about negativity becoming a little more prevalent; especially as of late.

So in a way to sort of kumbaya this, please air out any grievances you've had with this forum or members, or even me, and we will try to see if we can find a common ground to make sure this forum doesn't evolve into a :poop: show and bring it back to the original point of the forum - discussions without having to feel intimidated or unwelcome in their searches.

Let's try to be honest, but respectful as well.

Thanks
This is exactly why I left WdwMagic and came here

Reactions: SkiBum