Recent Drone Photos of an Abandoned Geauga Lake (Six Flags Worlds of Adventure) | Inside Universal Forums

Recent Drone Photos of an Abandoned Geauga Lake (Six Flags Worlds of Adventure)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but a local news station posted this article today, and I thought some of y'all might like to see it.

Thanks for the photos. We used to take a day trip up to the park once every year or two (from Pittsburgh area). It was never much of a park, but it was something different to do. Usually
we were done in four or five hours,. I did like the Wolf Bobs wooden coaster though. It was generally a pretty dirty park, so it always made me appreciate having Kennywood more.

Reactions: DannyPowers
Thanks for the photos. We used to take a day trip up to the park once every year or two (from Pittsburgh area). It was never much of a park, but it was something different to do. Usually
we were done in four or five hours,. I did like the Wolf Bobs wooden coaster though. It was generally a pretty dirty park, so it always made me appreciate having Kennywood more.

I worked there for three years after Six Flags purchased it. It was really one heck of a park with both sides of the lake combined (Geauga Lake and Sea World made into one big park).

It had literally everything under the one banner. A bunch of decent coasters, a waterpark, an animal park. Unfortunately, the sheer size and operating costs were too high to maintain.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I worked there for three years after Six Flags purchased it. It was really one heck of a park with both sides of the lake combined (Geauga Lake and Sea World made into one big park).

It had literally everything under the one banner. A bunch of decent coasters, a waterpark, an animal park. Unfortunately, the sheer size and operating costs were too high to maintain.
Yes. I went there over a long period of time. First times were in the late 70's when Sea World was across the lake. I actually liked it best back then because they had a couple of nice indoor musical shows.
Later years they went all in on the coasters and it seemed that there wasn't much to do if you didn't want to ride coasters non stop. We even went there a few times after they extended the park into the former Sea World area.
I believe my last trip was two years before Cedar Point closed the park down.

Reactions: Disneyhead

Sorta a pure hubris thing to try and top Cedar Point but doing it in like 2-3 years instead of 5-10. I wonder what would have happened if they invested in hotels.

Sorta a pure hubris thing to try and top Cedar Point but doing it in like 2-3 years instead of 5-10. I wonder what would have happened if they invested in hotels.
I think that points to one of the main issues, Geauga was such a local park, while Cedar is one that folks actually traveled to go to. They were trying to make it a destination, especially with the Six Flags name, it just didn't happen.

They had a deal with the hotel down the road. It wasn't that far, and they had shuttle service; but, it was still wasn't ever near capacity.

Reactions: Mad Dog

Honestly, they should have just kept two gates and pursued a symbiotic resort strategy further.