Reedy Creek Improvement District | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Reedy Creek Improvement District

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Disney decided to insert itself into the debate over the Florida Parental Rights in Education Act which was written to prevent sexual orientation and gender identity indoctrination of small school children.

Chapek, under pressure from activist groups within the company issued a statement on the matter and said they were going to "fight" the bill, and then after some harsh words they doubled down.

Disney operates Reedy Creek as their own, essentially, private fiefdom in the state of Florida, a huge plot of land mind you.

DeSantis and the State said essentially, you do not get to act as a Vatican inside the State of Florida in which you get to issue papal doctrines to the rest of the State of Florida, that's not what you're here for, you're here to provide goods and services to the State of Florida. But not to function as your own political body in the State.

So, the action to dissolve Reedy Creek was taken, a privilege nobody else has btw, so it would essentially make them like everyone else (Universal, SeaWorld, etc)

Disney is now saying this is discriminatory. They want the special district AND insert themselves into political conversations at whim, whether it affects them or not.

Should businesses be allowed to speak out against political issues? Sure. The consequences are typically social (which btw Disney is also feeling)

The difference here is the special arrangement that Disney has with the State. Also Disney is not some small start up or something.

It's certainly lighter than when Mayor Thomas Manino of Boston, wouldn't even zone Chic Fil A in an attempt to push the business out of the city. Rahm Emanuel in Chicago said similar.

On the lawsuits, they're basically just fighting all of it, and we'll see how it plays out. Again, I think it will settle down personally

I'm not sure "lost the court of public opinion" is accurate

We've warned several times about politics and I have a big problem when you're using "prevent sexual orientation and gender identity indoctrination of small school children." as talking points, especially as that Act is now trying to be extended beyond "small school children". You've admittedly said in the past you like the stir the pot for the sake of conversation, but we can't have that at the expense of our readers. I've warned you several times over the years to dial it back, and I don't think we can allow that anymore. Consider this your final post.

So I know there's lots of back and forth around the generic question of should Disney have this much power and control, but I keep on going back to a question that's been bugging me.

Yes they have a lot more power and control than a lot of businesses, no they are not alone in being a special district, yes they probably shouldn't have that much control. BUT Florida would be a much much different state had this agreement not been put in place. It seems completely wrong to me to retroactively say we made a mistake way back when to give you this much power because it was the only way that WE (FL Gov and Disney) could have made this possible. Disney took a massive risk after a lot of thinking and said yeah lets do this.

I feel the only way the district should be modified would be with Disney's input and engagement.

Reactions: Cygnus and USO92
Is the board actually telling businesses that their taxes are being raised, which itself breaks promises that they had previously made, explicitly to fund the governers lawyer team? That's almost unbelievable. If true, that's a massive PR flub. Try to at least posture like you actually care about populism even if you do the opposite. They aren't even capable enough to keep the mask on.

Is the board actually telling businesses that their taxes are being raised, which itself breaks promises that they had previously made, explicitly to fund the governers lawyer team? That's almost unbelievable. If true, that's a massive PR flub. Try to at least posture like you actually care about populism even if you do the opposite. They aren't even capable enough to keep the mask on.
Not sure if ironic is the right word, but the vast majority of the tax base for Reedy Creek is paid by Disney in the form of property taxes. So technically Disney is paying for the attorneys to defend the board against Disney’s claims. And if the company prevails and the board has to pay plaintiff’s legal fees, Disney will be paying for the reimbursement to itself for its own lawyers.

Lol.

Disney decided to insert itself into the debate over the Florida Parental Rights in Education Act which was written to prevent sexual orientation and gender identity indoctrination of small school children.

Chapek, under pressure from activist groups within the company issued a statement on the matter and said they were going to "fight" the bill, and then after some harsh words they doubled down.

Disney operates Reedy Creek as their own, essentially, private fiefdom in the state of Florida, a huge plot of land mind you.

DeSantis and the State said essentially, you do not get to act as a Vatican inside the State of Florida in which you get to issue papal doctrines to the rest of the State of Florida, that's not what you're here for, you're here to provide goods and services to the State of Florida. But not to function as your own political body in the State.

So, the action to dissolve Reedy Creek was taken, a privilege nobody else has btw, so it would essentially make them like everyone else (Universal, SeaWorld, etc)

Disney is now saying this is discriminatory. They want the special district AND insert themselves into political conversations at whim, whether it affects them or not.

Should businesses be allowed to speak out against political issues? Sure. The consequences are typically social (which btw Disney is also feeling)

The difference here is the special arrangement that Disney has with the State. Also Disney is not some small start up or something.

It's certainly lighter than when Mayor Thomas Manino of Boston, wouldn't even zone Chic Fil A in an attempt to push the business out of the city. Rahm Emanuel in Chicago said similar.

On the lawsuits, they're basically just fighting all of it, and we'll see how it plays out. Again, I think it will settle down personally

I'm not sure "lost the court of public opinion" is accurate

There is so much wrong with this I don’t even know where to begin…

Not sure if ironic is the right word, but the vast majority of the tax base for Reedy Creek is paid by Disney in the form of property taxes. So technically Disney is paying for the attorneys to defend the board against Disney’s claims. And if the company prevails and the board has to pay plaintiff’s legal fees, Disney will be paying for the reimbursement to itself for its own lawyers.

Lol.
I've wondered if an attempt to raise property taxes for litigation costs might get its own legal challenge. From the RCID replacement bill:

"Section 24. Ad valorem taxes.—The board of supervisors shall have the power to levy and assess an ad valorem tax on all the taxable real and tangible personal property in the district to pay the principal of and interest on any general obligation bonds of the district, to provide for any sinking or other funds established in connection with any such bonds, and to finance and defray the cost of any of the projects or activities of the district authorized by the provisions of this act or under law, provided that the district’s ad valorem taxing authority shall be limited to serving or benefitting the property owners of the district."

Reactions: Nick

Gov. Ron DeSantis’ tourism oversight board is firing back against The Walt Disney Co. with its own lawsuit.

The five-member board voted Monday to sue Disney in state court just days after the entertainment giant sued DeSantis, the board and other state officials in federal court.

“We have no choice now but to respond. … We’ll seek justice in our own backyard,” board chairman Martin Garcia said.

The suit will ask the courts to uphold and enforce the oversight board’s actions voiding Disney’s agreements that gave the entertainment giant control over development in Central Florida, he said.

Disney did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

As far as I’ve heard, the federal case would take precedent over this filing, which is at the state level (so if Disney won the federal case, the state case is meaningless regardless of outcome).

This new lawsuit by the sham board could end up being deferred / delayed until a decision comes through for the initial lawsuit.

Reactions: Thatguyoverwhere

Welp....
Yanno', when someone is suing you for retaliation, this is one of the things you really don't wanna' do, unless you want to add another piece of evidence to the pile.

Last edited:
The mess keeps growing.

Disney on Monday expanded its federal lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, accusing the Republican leader of doubling down on his “retribution campaign” against the company by signing legislation to void Disney’s development deals in Orlando.

Disney’s amended lawsuit also noted that Florida’s Republican-led Legislature passed legislation last week targeting Walt Disney World’s monorail system.

“Governor DeSantis and his allies have no apparent intent to moderate their retaliatory campaign any time soon,” Disney wrote in its additions to the civil complaint it filed in U.S. District Court in Tallahassee in April.

DeSantis’ office did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment on the amended complaint.

If Disney does win it will make an interesting movie/TV show.

I also wish so badly I could warm WDW to another state, that state was built on Disney

The mess keeps growing.

That's putting it mildly, since when you look at the new quotes from the Governor that Disney has added to the expanded lawsuit, he's just handing them more evidence on a silver platter.

I know I'm reiterating this, but if you're being sued for claims of retaliation, this is yet another thing you really don't wanna' say on the record.

I know I'm reiterating this, but if you're being sued for claims of retaliation, this is yet another thing you really don't wanna' say on the record.
Let's just say it moved me.... TO A BIGGER HOUSE!

But yeah, I can't tell if it's ignorance or a belief that the courts will just rubber stamp whatever they do.

“Does the state want us to invest more, employ more and pay more taxes or not?” Disney CEO Bob Iger rhetorically asked today of the on-going attacks on the Mouse House by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis.

“There’s .. a false narrative that we’ve been fighting to protect tax breaks as part of this,’ the politically savvy executive added of the on-going war of words in the media and the courts with the would-be 2024 White House candidate. “But in fact, we’re the largest taxpayer in Central Florida paying over $1.1 billion in state and local taxes last year alone.”
Related Story
Disney Pulling Some Content Off Streaming In Strategic Rethink

“This is about one thing and one thing only, and that’s retaliating against us for taking a position about pending legislation,” Iger also noted of Disney’s initially fumbling response to Florida’s discriminating ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law. “And we believe that in us taking that position, we’re merely exercising our right to free speech,” the CEO went on to say echoing language he has used before in the battle with DeSantis.
“There are about 2000 special districts in Florida, and most were established to foster investment in development,” Iger noted. “It basically made it easier for us, and others by the way, to do business in Florida. And we built a business that employs, as we’ve said before, over 75,000 people and attracts tens of millions of people to the state.”

“So, while it’s easy to say that the Reedy Creek Special District that was established for us over 50 years ago benefited us, it’s misleading to not also consider how much Disney benefited the state of Florida.”