Restrooms | Inside Universal Forums

Restrooms

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
Anyone else wonder why Universal uses a mixture of manual and automatic faucets in the park and CityWalk? It's also strange the new E.T. parking structure uses manual soap dispensers instead of the automatic spitters that have spread across the park.

Anyway, just food for thought...

Anyone else wonder why Universal uses a mixture of manual and automatic faucets in the park and CityWalk? It's also strange the new E.T. parking structure uses manual soap dispensers instead of the automatic spitters that have spread across the park.

It all boils down to a few things, really. The first being frequency of use. It's no surprise that one would find varying types of faucets and other bathroom fixtures. However, in my time of watching the park (and bathrooms) grow, you start to realize that the bathrooms with the most guest usage will usually get the updated fixtures before the lesser-used bathrooms. Case in point: the lower (much busier) Jurassic Parking Bathrooms have Waterfree toilets and the Dyson Air Blade hand dryers. Meanwhile, directly upstairs in the same Parking Lot, the bathroom has older, retrofitted automatic toilets and older Xlerator hand dryers. 

The second factor being cost of maintenance. For the most part, the automatic hand soap dispensers are used in busier bathrooms get a lot of use, which usually means they're maintained well. In the case of the newer ET Parking bathrooms, they are used a fraction of the amount the automatic dispensers are. Which stands to reason that maintaining them should not overshadow the just cost to replace batteries or whatever is needed to maintain them. 

The third and last thing I believe could cause this would be the stages of the park as far as infrastructure goes. The Lower Lot Bathrooms are older than the new ET Bathrooms so it stands to reason they would have different fixtures for either of those. 

I welcome anyone else's input on this subject. It has really piqued my curiosity. 
-CW

Don't they have a mixture of paper towels and air dryers, too? I recall bathrooms with the push-style faucets had paper towels and the bathrooms with automatic faucets had air dryers. Since I think push-style faucets and air dryers are terrible, there was no winning! :)

I've always been annoyed how they don't have ANY paper towels in the restrooms. Like, zero. If I have to blow my nose I'm not using toilet paper. I hate having to dry my hands under the dryers. 

Don't they have a mixture of paper towels and air dryers, too? I recall bathrooms with the push-style faucets had paper towels and the bathrooms with automatic faucets had air dryers. Since I think push-style faucets and air dryers are terrible, there was no winning! :)

Nah, no more paper towels.

If you don't like the traditional dryers, try the Dyson Airblades. Your hands won't accidentally touch the edges of the dryers like the other Dyson dryers Universal uses. 

If you don't like the traditional dryers, try the Dyson Airblades. Your hands won't accidentally touch the edges of the dryers like the other Dyson dryers Universal uses. 

Air dryers are literally 10x worse than paper towels. It tosses whatever germs you have on you into the air and onto basically everyone in the bathroom. Yuck. There is no winning indeed.

Actually, my husband just reported today that the bathrooms by Waterworld are also behind the walls... meaning the closest bathrooms to the main entrance are now either in London or the Animal Actors stage.  Not the most convenient, so I'm a bit surprised they'd do that.

Reactions: William
The bathrooms in Hogsmeade have paper towels. I'm pretty sure they are the only ones with paper towels. They also have automatic soap spritzers.

It would be really hard to hear Myrtle over the sound of dryer fans.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, no more paper towels.

Dyson Airblades are my least favorite hand dryers of all! They are ineffective, and often have disgusting gunk at the bottom.

The bathrooms in Hogsmeade have paper towels. I'm pretty sure they are the only ones with paper towels. They also have automatic soap spritzers.

It would be really hard to hear Myrtle over the sound of dryer fans.  

Yes, that's right!

Dyson Airblades are my least favorite hand dryers of all! They are ineffective, and often have disgusting gunk at the bottom.

I should clarify - the Airblade Vs are good. I'm not a fan of the traditional Airblade.

Reactions: Alexshow.
Yes, that's right!

I should clarify - the Airblade Vs are good. I'm not a fan of the traditional Airblade.

Haven't seen those, before. These look like an improvement, for sure. But I do think paper towels should still be available, too.

The best public bathrooms have motion sensor flushing, motion sensor sinks, and motion sensor paper towels. I know maintenance-wise and expense-wise it may not be worth it to them to change all the bathrooms to that, but I think that's the ideal from an actual cleanliness standpoint. 

I can't stand the stupid push button sinks where it stays on 10 seconds which is not long enough to actually clean and then rinse your hands. And if you have to push the button again midway through, you're touching the dirty fixture everyone touches before having washed their hands at all, so it's just gross and counterproductive.

Last edited by a moderator: