(Rumor) New Potter Attraction to Replace Fear Factor Live? | Page 66 | Inside Universal Forums

(Rumor) New Potter Attraction to Replace Fear Factor Live?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yes, really not fair to judge Star Trek popularity on this very minor 'attraction?'', which really isn't much different than the Potter green screen video you were able to perform in and purchase in the small Diagon Alley shop.
Correct, but we should judge box office results, which is a test of how many people truly care about the IP. The most recent trilogy only ever topped out at $467M Worldwide with 2013’s Into The Darkness.

These days, Star Trek is much closer to the popularity of a Bourne/John Wick than a Potter/Star Wars/Marvel. The people that care will always watch, but it doesn’t have four quadrant, mass appeal (and to be frank, Star Trek has a very old fan base).

Mission Impossible would be a great get though. I would suggest redoing Bourne to be MI eventually, but I think MI deserves more than a show that heavily relies on screens as the star of the show rather than the stunts.

Correct, but we should judge box office results, which is a test of how many people truly care about the IP. The most recent trilogy only ever topped out at $467M Worldwide with 2013’s Into The Darkness.

These days, Star Trek is much closer to the popularity of a Bourne/John Wick than a Potter/Star Wars/Marvel. The people that care will always watch, but it doesn’t have four quadrant, mass appeal (and to be frank, Star Trek has a very old fan base).

Mission Impossible would be a great get though. I would suggest redoing Bourne to be MI eventually, but I think MI deserves more than a show that heavily relies on screens as the star of the show rather than the stunts.
Yeah. I don' really have an opinion one way or another, on the present day merits of Star Trek as an attraction and/or land. I was just pointing out that it's unfair to judge it's merits on the green screen pay to play small scale
more merchandise than semi attraction that existed previously.....That said. The Star Trek Experience that was in Vegas, is still my fav attraction of all time, even though that was apx. 17 years ago. And the Quark's Bar was far superior
to the GESWL Olga Cantina. But, as you said, the Star Trek fan base is old and time may have passed it by. But it does have some interesting possibilities.

TPU backs up claim that Potter VR attraction taking over Fear Factor

I read this as a problem for Creative, but this is fascinating. The fact it’ll be in a New York Gift Shop gives me way less faith in this than I already had.

I read this as a problem for Creative, but this is fascinating. The fact it’ll be in a New York Gift Shop gives me way less faith in this than I already had.
With Universal developing this for several years, and with the use of a larger space, I’d like to believe it’ll be a fully themed attraction for Orlando, and not like just an arcade experience.

TPU backs up claim that Potter VR attraction taking over Fear Factor

Interesting point that Alicia brought up on her Theme Park Stop site in an answer to a question of mine. . Generally I had two reasons that I was lukewarm, at best, for this attraction/experience. Studio's is a very good park,
but it's out of balance with too many screen attractions (all good though except for F&F).. So the park screams for a 'practical, limited screens', new attraction. My second point was I guessed capacity would be very low. But Alicia has allayed
that second concern by saying the capacity would be pretty decent, actually better than Hagrid's coaster. That's the good part. Of course any expansion of Potter/Diagon will be good for attendance, even an
virtual/augmented reality experience. Though many in the fan community probably don't want more Potter in USF/IOA, the general public can never get enough Potter, so that's a good thing for Universal. More money
usually equates into more non Potter attractions down the road. Potter has fueled Universal's very considerable expansions in attractions and hotel resorts. It will continue to do so, no doubt. It's a 'Magic' franchise in
more ways than one.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
As long as Universal takes a screen ride away and transform it into a dark ride (like pets) I'm fine the VR thing is getting into the park (no upcharge, no pay to play crap). That piece of land is underused and should have butts in seats. I hope Universal will consider a good, big, sit down show in the park too but I guess Islands is in more need...

With Universal developing this for several years, and with the use of a larger space, I’d like to believe it’ll be a fully themed attraction for Orlando, and not like just an arcade experience.
I agree.... but what that means exactly I’m not so sure yet. I expect a wonderful queue as Universal never disappoints on those, but I’m curious to see what sets it apart from NY.

Reactions: knoxmyers
Waste of prime real estate if this goes down as now seems likely. This bit from the TPU article is particularly pertinent to my feelings:

"Why would Universal create a virtual reality attraction, you say? Isn’t virtual reality normally something you do at home with Oculus Rift or maybe at a local strip mall? Why would you want to travel to a world-class theme park to do an experience virtually instead of a dark ride or a roller coaster? Great question for the heads of Universal Creative who still don’t understand that more screens don’t equal more fun. Especially when those screens are strapped to your head."

I just don't know why Universal thinks a park swimming in simulators and simulator-adjacent rides needs another one.

As long as Universal takes a screen ride away and transform it into a dark ride (like pets) I'm fine the VR thing is getting into the park.

That would be a trade-off I'd be fine with if they happened concurrently... but it sure sounds like any hypothetical dark ride is now off the menu until post-EU. So still 5 or 6 years away. And a lot of things could change even during that time that could push a dark ride further off.

Depending on the tech it could be fine. Everyone wants to ride a broom and VR is really the only practical way. FOP set up is fine, but not all encompassing.
It’s also adding an attraction in a worthless FF spot. Net positive no matter what.

@JungleSkip brought this up before but I agree with him: Everyone in the themed entertainment industry "knows" what everyone else is doing. I find it unlikely that UC was completely blindsided by a WB contracted VR experience in NYC. Surprised they went through with it so quickly after COVID? I can see that. Had no idea this was a thing? Yeah probably not.

Waste of prime real estate if this goes down as now seems likely.

It's actually not that large a plot of land, one that would likely be occupied by another media-based ride.

"Why build a ride that people can experience at home" because most people don't have VR systems at home. Just like people saying "why would people go to a theme park to watch stuff on a screen", it's not a great argument when you look at the whole picture. VR works well when it expands a small area into infinite space, like The Void. What better way to turn an old theater location into a high-capacity VR experience.

@JungleSkip brought this up before but I agree with him: Everyone in the themed entertainment industry "knows" what everyone else is doing. I find it unlikely that UC was completely blindsided by a WB contracted VR experience in NYC. Surprised they went through with it so quickly after COVID? I can see that. Had no idea this was a thing? Yeah probably not.

It's actually not that large a plot of land, one that would likely be occupied by another media-based ride.

"Why build a ride that people can experience at home" because most people don't have VR systems at home. Just like people saying "why would people go to a theme park to watch stuff on a screen", it's not a great argument when you look at the whole picture. VR works well when it expands a small area into infinite space, like The Void. What better way to turn an old theater location into a high-capacity VR experience.
Yeah the timing I’m sure is frustrating and the biggest surprise I’d imagine. Article is probably a tad hyperbolic overall but I just am curious what will distinctly set them apart other than the queue which I’m sure will be nice.

I had heard the "broom ride" was far in development for EU when they paused. I remember someone mentioning the models for it being trashed when they shut things down, so I guess they're rebuilding all that now...

wow...everytime there is an update on this thread its somehow worse, I guess until the headline reads "VR ride Cancelled!!!!" (which would never happen of course, maybe "Unannounced VR ride Cancelled" Ha!). I mean once @Alicia released this I considered it a done deal, until she says its not. Her reporting is top notch!

I find it hard to believe that UC was blindsided by this though, I think it was released in Mar/April that VR rides would be in the store. It was shared, liked, commented on over and over so many times online by folks that work all over the parks, in every division including UC. I suppose the answer to the park switch though is that Uni is so spooked about the store "experience" opening now that they shouldn't wait for 3/4 years to debut theirs?

Very surprising to me that this was not being forced on Uni, I had really figured with the moving around of it (frankly from the second I read about it) that this was a must being thrust on them from WB/Wizarding World, a "synergy" opportunity, part of their overall contract somehow. IMO this just illustrates why they should not be playing in the roadside attraction sandbox. No matter how gloriously themed, IMO this is no better than go karts, walkthrough card board shooting gallerys (eeek....), lazer tag, mini-golf, escape rooms, etc. Now theses all have their place (hell stick this turkey in City Walk and call it a day) just not in the park.

As far as real estate goes, it is both small and very valuable, there are other things that could be done. Keep it as a theater, give us a true wizarding battle to watch, retheme the exterior to match with London. Give us a trial of dark wizards to watch where all hell breaks loose (I know that MOM is supposedly in Epic, but hey magic, you can enter the same building form two totally different locations in HP).

So at this point, this "feels" like it will fall somewhere in between Jimmy (which is more fun than it has any right to be, but only if the Ragtime Gals are there) and Fast and Furious, which I consider an abomination, truly.

Sorry for the rant, I know I have no idea what it will be until it is here, I simply worry that USF will get bogged down with more rides that do more overall harm than good.

Reactions: Stonecoldfreak1
wow...everytime there is an update on this thread its somehow worse, I guess until the headline reads "VR ride Cancelled!!!!" (which would never happen of course, maybe "Unannounced VR ride Cancelled" Ha!). I mean once @Alicia released this I considered it a done deal, until she says its not. Her reporting is top notch!

I find it hard to believe that UC was blindsided by this though, I think it was released in Mar/April that VR rides would be in the store. It was shared, liked, commented on over and over so many times online by folks that work all over the parks, in every division including UC. I suppose the answer to the park switch though is that Uni is so spooked about the store "experience" opening now that they shouldn't wait for 3/4 years to debut theirs?

Very surprising to me that this was not being forced on Uni, I had really figured with the moving around of it (frankly from the second I read about it) that this was a must being thrust on them from WB/Wizarding World, a "synergy" opportunity, part of their overall contract somehow. IMO this just illustrates why they should not be playing in the roadside attraction sandbox. No matter how gloriously themed, IMO this is no better than go karts, walkthrough card board shooting gallerys (eeek....), lazer tag, mini-golf, escape rooms, etc. Now theses all have their place (hell stick this turkey in City Walk and call it a day) just not in the park.

As far as real estate goes, it is both small and very valuable, there are other things that could be done. Keep it as a theater, give us a true wizarding battle to watch, retheme the exterior to match with London. Give us a trial of dark wizards to watch where all hell breaks loose (I know that MOM is supposedly in Epic, but hey magic, you can enter the same building form two totally different locations in HP).

So at this point, this "feels" like it will fall somewhere in between Jimmy (which is more fun than it has any right to be, but only if the Ragtime Gals are there) and Fast and Furious, which I consider an abomination, truly.

Sorry for the rant, I know I have no idea what it will be until it is here, I simply worry that USF will get bogged down with more rides that do more overall harm than good.
Only way a trial show works is with screens. Watching actors try and fight with “magic” would be weird.