Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Running Universal

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Universal has officially revealed, the first ever Running Universal for May of 2019.

Universal Studios Hollywood Launches “Running Universal”; Inaugural 5K Minion Run kicks off May 11, 2019 | Inside Universal

Running Universal will kick off, featuring the Minions as the inaugural theme of the 5K run.

18-EVP-25520-Running-Universal-2019-Map_FM_web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see something like this come to Orlando. It would be a good event for the colder quieter months.

With how long ago this trademark was registered:

TESS -- Error

Hopefully we'll see an announcement about Bigfire Grill which was registered just after.

I'd love to see something like this come to Orlando. It would be a good event for the colder quieter months.

With how long ago this trademark was registered:

TESS -- Error

Hopefully we'll see an announcement about Bigfire Grill which was registered just after.
They do TM 5Ks in Orlando so certainly not a stretch they expand to public sometime. I think they're starting in Hollywood because Disney does less events out there so its easier to schedule around.

They do TM 5Ks in Orlando so certainly not a stretch they expand to public sometime. I think they're starting in Hollywood because Disney does less events out there so its easier to schedule around.

I mean, considering that DL pulled their RunDisney events due to the..events, that have occurred with Anaheim; it gives Universal a possible angle that could do wonders for them.

I mean, considering that DL pulled their RunDisney events due to the..events, that have occurred with Anaheim; it gives Universal a possible angle that could do wonders for them.
That's exactly what I meant.

Plus Universal has an edge over Disney's west coast races anyway as Disney had to utilize city streets to fill out the mileage whereas it looks like this course is going to be able to stay within the confines of Universal property.

I guess we know how we’re getting between resorts in Orlando now. That wasn’t a bus lane but a running lane.

Running through the backlot is a stroke of genius. Disney May have characters cheering you on but the idea that a celebrity might cheer you on could be a huge pull for people.

I wonder if it’s something that Universal might consider.

Did the run on Saturday. Overall a good event, but only about 70% there logistically - definitely some growing pains, which is understandable given it's their first event.

My observations:
  • Corral times/delineations were pretty much completely abandoned: it was first come, first served, which was a bad way to start the day and resulted in a 50 minute wait after the advertised start time for our "corral" to begin. Better organized races pace out faster runners at the start and then meter out in descending order, allowing corrals to be released faster and more efficiently. This was probably my biggest gripe.
  • Part of the issue is the race starts at the gateway/front street, which is very narrow and isn't conducive to a race of this scale. The solution may not be picturesque, but this ought to start in Citywalk proper or somewhere where there's more of a berth.
  • They vastly undersold the degree that grade (i.e. hills) impacted the race/runners. A good .75 miles of the race is up a fairly steep incline as you make your way back up through the backlot and then up to War of the Worlds. A grand majority (90%+) of runners walked this portion, especially because it's toward the end of the run. No good solution here since you are literally running and up down the mountain other than somehow starting with the incline and ending with a descent...
  • Character photo ops were kind of lame. Dru and the Prison Minion were the only real highlights, but the former was behind a barrier (meaning selfies only) and the rest had long, 15+ minute queues. That isn't sustainable if anyone is actually serious about running.
  • Coolest part by far was running around the Amity lagoon; I think people have become desensitized to the "cool" factor of walking on the backlot since Terror Tram gives people the opportunity to do the Grinch to War of the Worlds stretch. The Jaws set was a neat moment to get a rare view and perspective, and running the shark fin/scuba attack was a nice touch.
  • Great medals, bib pickup, and water station organization.

Not sure how they're going to make the Jurassic World event all that compelling, considering they only have a handful of relevant character interactions they can pull for such a brand. Not sure I'd run that same route again, frankly.

Did the run on Saturday. Overall a good event, but only about 70% there logistically - definitely some growing pains, which is understandable given it's their first event.

My observations:
  • Corral times/delineations were pretty much completely abandoned: it was first come, first served, which was a bad way to start the day and resulted in a 50 minute wait after the advertised start time for our "corral" to begin. Better organized races pace out faster runners at the start and then meter out in descending order, allowing corrals to be released faster and more efficiently. This was probably my biggest gripe.
  • Part of the issue is the race starts at the gateway/front street, which is very narrow and isn't conducive to a race of this scale. The solution may not be picturesque, but this ought to start in Citywalk proper or somewhere where there's more of a berth.
  • They vastly undersold the degree that grade (i.e. hills) impacted the race/runners. A good .75 miles of the race is up a fairly steep incline as you make your way back up through the backlot and then up to War of the Worlds. A grand majority (90%+) of runners walked this portion, especially because it's toward the end of the run. No good solution here since you are literally running and up down the mountain other than somehow starting with the incline and ending with a descent...
  • Character photo ops were kind of lame. Dru and the Prison Minion were the only real highlights, but the former was behind a barrier (meaning selfies only) and the rest had long, 15+ minute queues. That isn't sustainable if anyone is actually serious about running.
  • Coolest part by far was running around the Amity lagoon; I think people have become desensitized to the "cool" factor of walking on the backlot since Terror Tram gives people the opportunity to do the Grinch to War of the Worlds stretch. The Jaws set was a neat moment to get a rare view and perspective, and running the shark fin/scuba attack was a nice touch.
  • Great medals, bib pickup, and water station organization.

Not sure how they're going to make the Jurassic World event all that compelling, considering they only have a handful of relevant character interactions they can pull for such a brand. Not sure I'd run that same route again, frankly.

Agreed with everything you said. We did the Sunday event. I did not understand the long waits between corrals being let in.
Awards were disappointing. Last runners were in by 8am and they make you wait until 9. No crowds around to cheer. Never seen that at a race.
I would think possibly starting and ending it on the backlot near the big blue back drop area. Spectators can still join in. Just corral off the area. Citywalk was too congested.

Agreed with everything you said. We did the Sunday event. I did not understand the long waits between corrals being let in.
Awards were disappointing. Last runners were in by 8am and they make you wait until 9. No crowds around to cheer. Never seen that at a race.
I would think possibly starting and ending it on the backlot near the big blue back drop area. Spectators can still join in. Just corral off the area. Citywalk was too congested.

Great idea, re: blue screen, so long as they can schedule around production... which may prove a challenge, as that area is very lucrative (and any constructed facilities would have to exist over several nights as opposed to the build-up/tear-down pathways used around those areas). I'm guessing they didn't want to create the infrastructure to shuttle people to/from that area and wanted to rely on Citywalk's existing facilities... but the Five Towers / Jurassic Paring garage aren't a sufficient option, in my opinion.

Definitely agreed on the award ceremony, too. My friend actually finished first in her age group and did wait for the ceremony but said it was fairly anticlimactic... and the rest of the party, including me, didn't want to stay an hour.

Two other points I forgot to mention:

One, the "discounted" Running Universal park admission was an embarrassment at $94. That's about what it costs when you buy online/in advance, plus or minus ten bucks or so. At the (high) rate you're paying for race registration, admission should be closer to $60 or so. Didn't see very much conversion on that front.

They absolutely must do a better job managing walkers vs. runners at future events. The hype man mentioned it occasionally during his spiel at the start (i.e. "walkers stay to the right, runners keep to the left"), but this was almost completely ignored with no policing or reminders during the race. That isn't a problem when the route is wide... but many areas of the race were narrow, and it led to dangerous weaving amongst racers (and was very frustrating as someone who ran the entire course).

I really really liked the event. The medal is super cool!

I did feel for the serious runners having to get through the gauntlet in the beginning though. I don't run all that fast but still had a hell of a time having to bob and weave through a bunch of people.

The giant hill at the end was a killer. Can't say I didn't like it though... as something of a fun run I liked the variety and being able to see... I guess.. my running chops. (note to self: run more hills)

The highlight for me was Bates Motel. My friends hate anything scary and refuse to go to HHN so it was really awesome being able to get up close to the motel and house. Jaws was a close 2nd... and being able to just run through Hogsmead like an idiot was a really close 3rd.

Apparently my bro-in-law did a 10k there a few years ago that went through more of the back lot. I'd be soooo down for that!

But yeah. The packet pick up and stuff were fine. The corrals should probably be split by pace... I'll think I'll be back in november. Hopefully they'll do a different route and dinosaurs are cool.

One, the "discounted" Running Universal park admission was an embarrassment at $94. That's about what it costs when you buy online/in advance, plus or minus ten bucks or so. At the (high) rate you're paying for race registration, admission should be closer to $60 or so. Didn't see very much conversion on that front.
Disney and Universal don't seem to want anyone to have a way to get a truly discounted admission anymore. Convention and evening rates are a joke if they exist at all.