Sapphire Falls Resort | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

Sapphire Falls Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
View attachment 2534

Sorry for flipping out on this hotel but I seriously do not get the theme. Why is there a mid-century starburst lamp in a carribbean hotel? It has no business being there. Where are the wicker chairs? The pastel colors? The beachy-breezy vibe? I know I'm being a snob but from a designer's POV, this is a huge missed op.

It could be a Puffer fish? :blank:

Sorry for flipping out on this hotel but I seriously do not get the theme. Why is there a mid-century starburst lamp in a carribbean hotel? It has no business being there. Where are the wicker chairs? The pastel colors? The beachy-breezy vibe? I know I'm being a snob but from a designer's POV, this is a huge missed op.

You're not being a snob at all. That chandelier belongs in the date driven Cabana and not here. Some Tommy Bahama wicker might have been sexy. Everything in that picture is pedestrian.

I can only surmise that in an attempt to not go too tacky and cheap looking in the design, they accidentally made it too bland and boring.

Exactly. I actually like it. I prefer clean lines to an overly busy theme in hotels. I think it looks classic, and won't look dated, and tacky in two years.

Reactions: Joel
You not familiar with how cruise ships board? Same idea today. This won't be happening again after today.

And they opened 3 since they became a Resort, but only 1 since they became "relevant" with Cabana Bay, and that opened in sections and not during the middle of Summer.
I've never waited close to 90 mins to board a cruise ship. It's always a fairly quick process.

I've never waited close to 90 mins to board a cruise ship. It's always a fairly quick process.

I used to work in the industry. It can take as quick as 30 to as long as 2 hours depending on time and other factors.

Obviously it was a problem with RFID, as well as the influx of all the people checking-in. Point is, no way to prevent that.

And for what it's worth, I spent some time socializing with the people in line and most of their answers were "it's the first day it's open, things happen."

Seems like that was the general consensus too among the higher-ups I spoke with too. The only real issue people seemed to get upset about was the pool closing due to lightning in the area.

I used to work in the industry. It can take as quick as 30 to as long as 2 hours depending on time and other factors.

Obviously it was a problem with RFID, as well as the influx of all the people checking-in. Point is, no way to prevent that.

And for what it's worth, I spent some time socializing with the people in line and most of their answers were "it's the first day it's open, things happen."

Seems like that was the general consensus too among the higher-ups I spoke with too. The only real issue people seemed to get upset about was the pool closing due to lightning in the area.
I'm not saying things should've been expected to be perfect on opening day. As I said this morning, there would likely be some hiccups.

I just have to think there could've been away to speed things along a bit. They had to have anticipated it. I don't know how things were there exactly, but I'd think they could've moved things along quicker should they have had a lot of TMs with iPads to get through guests twice as fast.

Good post.That seems to sum up the events of the day..........(Note: when you use the Wizard type Avatar it gives you the appearance of added wisdom. Good move :))

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian G.
I'm not saying things should've been expected to be perfect on opening day. As I said this morning, there would likely be some hiccups.

I just have to think there could've been away to speed things along a bit. They had to have anticipated it. I don't know how things were there exactly, but I'd think they could've moved things along quicker should they have had a lot of TMs with iPads to get through guests twice as fast.

Probably, but it seems as if the paying customer was content with whatever the outcome was and that's all that matters.

Reactions: Nick and Mad Dog
So about this theme...

It's a convention-style hotel, so goal is to make it simple and appeal to everyone - however there is a theme there. Basically, the hotel takes over an old age rum plant in the Caribbean, which are known for it's "Falls". So they have influences of the old rum era, with the styles of a new modern hotel. The conventioneers Universal is trying to attract probably won't care as much about it, but there is something for the fan who likes "backstories". Hell, Strong Water also has a story too. (I didn't read it, too busy getting my Mule on.)

Also doesn't help that a few things are missing since they cut it real close.

You may not like that explanation, but that's what it is. :lol:

So about this theme...

It's a convention-style hotel, so goal is to make it simple and appeal to everyone - however there is a theme there. Basically, the hotel takes over an old age rum plant in the Caribbean, which are known for it's "Falls". So they have influences of the old rum era, with the styles of a new modern hotel. The conventioneers Universal is trying to attract probably won't care as much about it, but there is something for the fan who likes "backstories". Hell, Strong Water also has a story too. (I didn't read it, too busy getting my Mule on.)

Back in the day when I loved & drank Moscow Mules, they were always served in a special small copper mug, which kept the drink super cold. Have you ever had it served that way?

So about this theme...

Oh no, not another Coronado Springs incident..Disney fans have just recently accepted it as a legitimate hotel