Scream 7 | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Scream 7

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They're skipping Halloween '25... why? It can't possibly be because the movie won't be done yet (these are not complex or effects-heavy films to make).

Honestly, this franchise needs (and has needed) a total reboot. Set the story a couple decades after the original SCREAM (i.e. those events are known and happened), but move forward with entirely new characters... and probably an entirely new look for the killer. We have got to move beyond the Sidney Prescott mythos and all the characters connected to it.

They're skipping Halloween '25... why? It can't possibly be because the movie won't be done yet (these are not complex or effects-heavy films to make).

Honestly, this franchise needs (and has needed) a total reboot. Set the story a couple decades after the original SCREAM (i.e. those events are known and happened), but move forward with entirely new characters... and probably an entirely new look for the killer. We have got to move beyond the Sidney Prescott mythos and all the characters connected to it.

I'm guessing they're (still) figuring out what direction to even go in. Deals may be up in the air, and the script is probably nowhere near where it needs to be (and will require additional surgery once the final leads are confirmed).

I'm not particularly interested unless they get everyone from 5 and 6 back.

Thought they were doing that pretty effectively with 6 but then we all know what happened.

Reactions: Freak
I'm not particularly interested unless they get everyone from 5 and 6 back.
The more characters return of any kind, the less interested I am at this point.

Sucks it has been delayed until 2026. I'm not deeply attached to the "Core 4", especially since the twins should've been dead at least twice.
SCREAM VI was unforgivably toothless/precious with those characters.

Somebody needed to get the Randy treatment (which was a controversial and tough-to-swallow -- but correct and needed -- creative decision).

Thought they were doing that pretty effectively with 6 but then we all know what happened.
One of those characters is the daughter of Sid's boyfriend. That throughline would have still been there.

I don't want any character connections.

There needs to be character connections on some level otherwise you lose the heart/soul of the movie/franchise.

Because I was robbed of a proper 3rd season of the MTV series, I wouldn't mind them finding a way to merge the two.

Although Hayden's character Kirby is supposed to get a spin-off, honestly, she could stumble upon the "Brandon James" murders of the TV series as a way to bridge the gap.

If they brought back Stu for the Sidney/Gale showdown. Just do it well.
/End spec rant

There needs to be character connections on some level otherwise you lose the heart/soul of the movie/franchise.

Yeah, I dunno. I hear your point belloq, but if you're going to remove any meaningful reference or connection to the original Scream franchise, what really is the point of the movie being called Scream? Why not do a completely different slasher, especially if you also tweak or change the costume/mask of the killer?

I didn't love all the legacy sequel elements of Scream 6 and 7, but I felt they generally did a good job bridging the two generations while making room for new characters and ideas. I do agree that someone major should've gone under the knife in 7, though, as relieved as many were to see the Core 4 survive.

Yeah, I dunno. I hear your point belloq, but if you're going to remove any meaningful reference or connection to the original Scream franchise, what really is the point of the movie being called Scream? Why not do a completely different slasher, especially if you also tweak or change the costume/mask of the killer?
I think SCREAM as a brand owns the "meta commentary on the horror genre within an actual horror movie" thing so thoroughly that to do it in a standalone movie would be seen as just ripping it off.

I also think it's good for horror franchises to take some big swings once in a while (HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH, WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE) for the sake of freshness.

And I ALSO think that Hollywood needs to get this whole "legacy sequel" thing out of its system sooner than later.

I also think it's good for horror franchises to take some big swings once in a while (HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH
the original plan was to have a different "Halloween story" movie each entry, but people wanted Michael Myers.

WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE) for the sake of freshness.

And I ALSO think that Hollywood needs to get this whole "legacy sequel" thing out of its system sooner than later.
Hate to break it to you, but New Nightmare is/was a "legacy sequel".

the original plan was to have a different "Halloween story" movie each entry, but people wanted Michael Myers.
That's correct. SEASON OF THE WITCH flopped.

It's also better than every HALLOWEEN sequel that came after it.

Hate to break it to you, but New Nightmare is/was a "legacy sequel".
Not by my definition, which requires a certain amount of time to have passed to capitalize on nostalgia. FREDDY'S DEAD was only three years earlier.

But even if it were, it's still a wild creative departure from what the series had been up to that point.