Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Scream n’ Stream

Aug 17, 2009
Another drive-thru haunt coming to Central Florida.

Scream n' Stream offers guests the opportunity to drive STRAIGHT INTO the movie screen and enter a 90's slasher-style horror flick. From the company's website:

“The year is 1991. A group of teenagers have broken into an abandoned Drive-In Theater on the edge of town, to goof around and have some fun. Soon, it becomes late and they decide to go home in order to make curfew. Except they discover that their car won't start. The fuel line has been cut. Horrified, the teenagers realize they are not alone. Hours from town on foot with no way to get help, the teenagers are forced to find help. Except someone is out there, lurking in the shadows. Watching them. Waiting for a chance to terrorize its victims.”

A completely unique style of haunt, fans can expect a contactless mix of special effects, live performers, and detailed sets to tell the story. Chris Louis, Scream n' Stream's Production Manager, described the experience as "interactive theater." For audio, cars will be able to tune into a specialized FM station pumping a spooky soundtrack to fit the entire "film." Each scene will have individual speakers to broadcast the specific dialogue or other audio.

For safety reasons, no actors will approach the vehicle and no scares are intended to "startle" the driver (or anyone else in the car). Drivers are expected to maintain a 3mph speed and drive steadily along a marked path. The entire experience is expected to last between 10-15 minutes.

Oh! And there's one more thing! You might just have to choose which path to take, determining the outcome of your "movie" experience!

Someone is going to get seriously injured star one of these. Scaring While Driving seems like a bad combo.

Yeaaah. I'm interested, but also incredibly skeptical. I keep waiting for more details on how these can possibly work while still being worth it.

Yeaaah. I'm interested, but also incredibly skeptical. I keep waiting for more details on how these can possibly work while still being worth it.
Drive to scene. Stop. Scene runs. Drive to next scene. Rinse and repeat. Have you never done a haunted hayride?

• PLEASE NOTE: For safety reasons, this haunted drive-thru will not be intensely or startling, sudden, or surprising. Performers will not come up to your car or "jump scare" you in the Haunted Drive-Thru.
  • Every passenger must have and wear their own seat belt.
  • Drivers must present a valid driver's license.
  • All drivers will sign a liability waiver before entering this Drive-Thru Haunted House.
  • There is a speed limit inside the Drive-Thru Haunted House of 3MPH.
  • No performers or props will touch or come close to your vehicle at any time. We are not responsible for damage to your vehicle.
  • Drivers who are behaving erratically, failing to follow posted guidelines and limits, or appear to be under the influence will not be permitted into the Scream n' Stream event and a refund will not be provided.

Figured this thread could use an update on how things are shaping up as the event gets near:

Additionally, their Twitter has stated that Oct. 17th is near a sell-out.

Went here Sunday night for my birthday. Came away really impressed. Performing cast were on-point, but so were ops. Despite a larger number of cars, everything ran smoothly, never felt in danger from other vehicles. Waited probably 30 - 35 minutes, but with a/c and the radio, we didn't really mind. Contrast that with, say, Scream-Aggedon, where I waited in a packed queue in an un-air conditioned building. Or anything HHN on a hot September night.

It's wayyyy out there in Ponciana, but the old gothic Florida venue adds to the creepy atmosphere. Plenty of ancient trees dripping in Spanish moss. Layout makes the most of the (relatively) limited space so the haunt has a satisfying length with a satisfying climax hidden until you reach it. A/v equipment worked perfectly, sound was great. Sets tended toward the minimalist--this is outdoors, not a soundstage--but were still clever. Cast brought their A-game, could tell they were having fun getting a scare. My only constructive criticism would be could've used maybe a third more actors.

"Is it worth it?" Well, not gonna lie, $50 steep for a solo. But it's priced by car, not guest, so if you can get 4 people in your vehicle, it becomes a bargain as small haunts go--I've done comparable length haunts that were $20 a head. I very much enjoyed the event, glad I went. Really got me in the Halloween spirit. So yes, very worth it for haunt fans.

BTW, no need to get out of your car after unless you're doing an air boat ride. A cute baby alligator display, a sad "tiki" bar (tiki in name only), and a kitschy Florida gift shop. But be sure to tune into the in-house station during the event, tho, it had some really atmospheric background music. Perfect to set the mood.

This event was sort of resurrected as the kid-friendly "Jolly Creek Holiday Festival"--same guy behind it, same location. The Grand Society Orchestra (recently fired from their gig at the Grand Floridian) plays Christmas music, with light displays and a chance to take a selfie with Santa in his gator-pulled-airboat.

But one night only, December 17, they are transforming into Krampus Creek--"a large outdoor, socially-distanced, holiday village with a twisted take... all based on the folklore of Krampus" (public domain versions, not the movie used at HHN a couple years ago). Walkable event (as is Jolly Creek), not a drive-thru. $24 a person but early online discounts. Don't know a lot else, but it sounds like an interesting idea if you're a Halloween junkie.