SeaWorld and those Darn Sesame Rights | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld and those Darn Sesame Rights

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'll never get why if you are paying for these rights why you'd move all the SS stuff to another park in San Deigo

I'm not again the little park, its cute but ZERO reasons to not also have a land in Sea world SD, you can sell merch there then and more people want to ride themed rides over what we have now

But yeah, I'll be honest and the taxes have never bugged me because of the situation of being told you can't open but also pay us, but this feels like it could slowly become the end to this partnership

But yeah, I'll be honest and the taxes have never bugged me because of the situation of being told you can't open but also pay us,
It’s not taxes. It’s rent.

I can’t imagine for a second why SeaWorld should or would get a break on its rent when none of the rest of us did (including most commercial real estate buildings!)

It’s not taxes. It’s rent.

I can’t imagine for a second why SeaWorld should or would get a break on its rent when none of the rest of us did (including most commercial real estate buildings!)
I don't think they should get special treatment but also think the way some businesses were treated was BS

Doesn't matter, they will have to pay but I least understand the rent thing when the people charging you are also the ones keeping you shut down.
On the SS rights, its a dumb game to play and kinda hope SS finds a new partner. If Disney or Universal had even mini parks like Sea World did with the SS characters it would be like 10 times busier, so this could lead to a better us of the IP anyway

This is the same company that exploited the pandemic by charging you 5% on every in-park purchase for "supply constraints" related to Covid... and then kept it as a revenue source.

They still raised prices in addition to the fee, so the fee is just an additional slap in the face.

I hope they lose the rights and a proper park operator gets them. SeaWorld needs to learn the hard way of losing a very popular IP that seems to keep their parks afloat. It may not be the draw to the parks, but they are certainly a significant chunk of the merchandise sold in the park.

I honestly believe these decisions are being made from leadership that intends to sell off the parks. There is very little fat left to cut from the park experience, can't imagine what else beyond cutting operating days.

This is a “why pay if we don’t have to” issue. With this and the back rent on SWSD they’re trying to argue in court that they didn’t owe anything because of the pandemic closures. Best case scenario they save millions of dollars, worst case they still owe the money and have to pay it.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
At least Orlando wise, would universal really need another kids area when they have two shiny new areas with minions and dreamworks?
Maybe Hollywood, but even though they have the rights internationally, I don’t see the need for universal to pick up the rights domestically, as cool as it would be.

Reactions: mccgavin
At least Orlando wise, would universal really need another kids area when they have two shiny new areas with minions and dreamworks?
Maybe Hollywood, but even though they have the rights internationally, I don’t see the need for universal to pick up the rights domestically, as cool as it would be.
The Sesame Street demographic is a bit younger than Minions/DreamWorks... so it could be a great strategic choice. Where to put it? No idea.

The Sesame Street demographic is a bit younger than Minions/DreamWorks... so it could be a great strategic choice. Where to put it? No idea.
I don’t think there really is a place for it? I mean maybe you could replace supercharged with a sesame dark ride, but I don’t see supercharged closing soon. A SLOP esque sesame ride would be cool and good for UOR tho, I just don’t think a ride like that is that parks priority rn. Especially with Pokémon in the apparent pipeline