SeaWorld Ends Orca Breeding | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Ends Orca Breeding

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yes, and those whales certainly had a lot of value. I remember when SeaWorld sold their Ohio park. The park stayed intact but SeaWorld took their Orca with them. That non Sea World owned park, even though it had everything present except for the Orca, started a steep downward trend until it's original theme all but disappeared. I don't think that drastic of a situation will happen in Orlando. These are different times and different mindsets. But it does illustrate how essential the Orcas' were in the past.

SeaWorld Ohio/Six Flags Worlds of Adventure/Geauga Lake fiasco is more complicated than an orca leaving.

Beautiful country down there.
3b222d6b2454e22996b27e660a6ef17f.jpg

I went to BGW about once a year during/right after college. Noticed a distinct slide in quality from 2011 onward
Big time. Especially in entertainment. They went from Disneyland level shows to Six Flags type shows. Two of the shows in particular, the Irish Step Dancers (Produced by the same people that did the international theatrical show), and the trio of shows in the Italian forum theater rivaled just about anything in existence at any Disney or Universal park. We used to sit in the Italian area, drink wine, relax and watch those shows for hours at a time. And they had a great night time show in their amphitheater. And lots of drama students from W&M College portrayed period piece characters, did readings from novels,& all sorts of colorful reenactments. I had been going since the second year the park opened and it was only half the size it is now. We really loved that park and combined it with trips to historical Williamsburg, Jamestown & the plantations. We don't go anymore though. In Bev & Blackstone just ruined that park by taking so much away and putting so little back in. It no longer has the ambiance that made it someplace special.

Reactions: Disneyhead
SeaWorld Ohio/Six Flags Worlds of Adventure/Geauga Lake fiasco is more complicated than an orca leaving.
Sure, but once the Orca went the Sea World side started a quick decline. The rest of the other parks' history though is exactly as you suggested and did indeed affect the remaining Sea World portion.

They are supposedly claiming on Facebook the new, natural setting is not the Blue World projects even thought the press release sure sounds like what the new homes would be like. So, they want to distance themselves from that project name due to the fight over it in SoCal.

Here is a picture I believe of what the footprint of San Diego would have been.
images

We know know that the stadiums will be obsolete and unneeded going forward so that seems to suggest the elimination of new tanks and more of just modifing existing tanks with little actual expansion of of over all surface water. All the new features will be added to mostly the existing tanks as they remove to the stadiums. So this will likely see a net decrease in added space for the whales over the Blue World proposals. It also frees up space for other structures associated with the Orcas or just new attractions or other uses.

This is as much a cost cutting thing as it is by supposedly doing the right thing. The improvements to the Orca areas just went down in costs and size compared to what the Blue World projects were going to run and so will production costs associated with the show.

Big time. Especially in entertainment. They went from Disneyland level shows to Six Flags type shows. Two of the shows in particular, the Irish Step Dancers (Produced by the same people that did the international theatrical show), and the trio of shows in the Italian forum theater rivaled just about anything in existence at any Disney or Universal park. We used to sit in the Italian area, drink wine, relax and watch those shows for hours at a time. And they had a great night time show in their amphitheater. And lots of drama students from W&M College portrayed period piece characters, did readings from novels,& all sorts of colorful reenactments. I had been going since the second year the park opened and it was only half the size it is now. We really loved that park and combined it with trips to historical Williamsburg, Jamestown & the plantations. We don't go anymore though. In Bev & Blackstone just ruined that park by taking so much away and putting so little back in. It no longer has the ambiance that made it someplace special.

Sadly, this seems to be making it's way to Disney as well, with recent reductions in the amount of shows/entertainment at the parks. It's not just the SEAS parks.

They are supposedly claiming on Facebook the new, natural setting is not the Blue World projects even thought the press release sure sounds like what the new homes would be like. So, they want to distance themselves from that project name due to the fight over it in SoCal.

Here is a picture I believe of what the footprint of San Diego would have been.
images

We know know that the stadiums will be obsolete and unneeded going forward so that seems to suggest the elimination of new tanks and more of just modifing existing tanks with little actual expansion of of over all surface water. All the new features will be added to mostly the existing tanks as they remove to the stadiums. So this will likely see a net decrease in added space for the whales over the Blue World proposals. It also frees up space for other structures associated with the Orcas or just new attractions or other uses.

This is as much a cost cutting thing as it is by supposedly doing the right thing. The improvements to the Orca areas just went down in costs and size compared to what the Blue World projects were going to run and so will production costs associated with the show.
Some pretty good points. I think you're right on that this will be a net cost savings over what Blue World proposals would have cost. And, perhaps, its the real reason for the policy reversal. Kind of like the political spin room.

Reactions: Donald Razorduck
This will last long enough for the activists to move on. Then SeaWorld will find a reason to restart the breeding program.

I don't think this will have to happen. I think they will just take in rescues. Especially if other Orca programs go defunct. People will push for the best captivity program to take them which will be Sea World. Orcas will be in those parks and be the mascot for a very very very long time.

Reactions: amityboattours
Some pretty good points. I think you're right on that this will be a net cost savings over what Blue World proposals would have cost. And, perhaps, its the real reason for the policy reversal. Kind of like the political spin room.

I'm almost certain of it. Also, say if Chimelong comes along and buys SEAS and they have finally got their Orca program going, they wouldn't be bound by this and they bring new Orcas over from their supposed waiting in the wings stock.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I think this was a smart move by Sea World. While I don't agree with all the Blackfish BS and can't stand PETA, this move was probably the smartest thing they could do right now. I don't see this as a win for the animal rights activists...I see this as Sea World moving their chess pieces in a way that could see them win.

Honestly, I think Sea World should look into adding Whale Sharks and Manta Rays to their park...get some more interesting creature habitats built as well as some more dark rides and family attractions.

I'm almost certain of it. Also, say if Chimelong comes along and buys SEAS and they have finally got their Orca program going, they wouldn't be bound by this and they bring new Orcas over from their supposed waiting in the wings stock.
Yea, another good point. Blackstone put selling feelers on the market a couple of years ago, and since they didn't sell their position, I would guess there were no good offers, or no offers at all. So all of these moves, plus the new coasters, and Manby's inputs, will hopefully drive attendance, cut future costs, and enhance Sea World's value. Then Blackstone will try to sell their position again, hoping for a better outcome than the first time. I follow your logic.

I think this was a smart move by Sea World. While I don't agree with all the Blackfish BS and can't stand PETA, this move was probably the smartest thing they could do right now. I don't see this as a win for the animal rights activists...I see this as Sea World moving their chess pieces in a way that could see them win.

Honestly, I think Sea World should look into adding Whale Sharks and Manta Rays to their park...get some more interesting creature habitats built as well as some more dark rides and family attractions.

Speaking of Whale Sharks, Chimelong has an enormous Tank with the Whale Shark as the centerpiece, they have also been linked to buying two Orcas captured recently by Russia. It is believed that they will be the centerpiece of a new gate at Chimelong just announced to be getting underway. This concept art of that new gate sure hints at it. Many believe this will cause other parks in China to acquire orcas to compete and that's where my theory on SeaWorld taking in rescues from other parks come in. Some will surely fail.

Oh back to the concept, yep looks Orcy to me.

Chimelong also got over twenty elephants from some African country for a safari park that will be built along with this
0-4-1024x542.jpg

Honestly, I think this is SeaWorld prepping the for-sale sign. The sad fact is they're one of-if not the only-institution that is capable of caring for some of these animals. Once that's not a problem, they're looking for a buyer.

I really see SeaWorld going in one of two directions over the next decade.

1) Buyer buys the chain and sells all of the parks besides Orlando + San Diego (the major theme park cities). They invest that money and try to make SeaWorld a nature-based alternative to Disney/Universal. This isn't gonna happen, because there aren't many Comcast-type buyers in the market and SeaWorld is in much worse shape than Universal ever was.

2) Buyer buys the chain and sells the Orlando + San Diego parks. They use that money (it'll be quite a bit) to invest in the smaller parks. SeaWorld emerges as true competition for Six Flags + Cedar Fair. This could reignite the local theme park market, and give SeaWorld a decent niche. This is what's going to happen.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Honestly, I think this is SeaWorld prepping the for-sale sign. The sad fact is they're one of-if not the only-institution that is capable of caring for some of these animals. Once that's not a problem, they're looking for a buyer.

I really see SeaWorld going in one of two directions over the next decade.

1) Buyer buys the chain and sells all of the parks besides Orlando + San Diego (the major theme park cities). They invest that money and try to make SeaWorld a nature-based alternative to Disney/Universal. This isn't gonna happen, because there aren't many Comcast-type buyers in the market and SeaWorld is in much worse shape than Universal ever was.

2) Buyer buys the chain and sells the Orlando + San Diego parks. They use that money (it'll be quite a bit) to invest in the smaller parks. SeaWorld emerges as true competition for Six Flags + Cedar Fair. This could reignite the local theme park market, and give SeaWorld a decent niche. This is what's going to happen.

Herschend has two top notch, outside of Orlando/SoCal parks. All SEAS parks would be complementary to their existing parks with no direct competition. BGW and Dollywood. The two Marque parks, SDC and DW are continuing to add big time attractions. Just the most recent survey for SDC hinted at either a B&M Dive that's taller and bigger than any out there or a Mack launched spinner with inversions (Blue Fire spinning test) for 2019, All indications are for a big coaster already in works for 2017. These two chains are the best match for each other, they offer an experience between the typical CF or SiF park and the Behemoths called Disney and Uni in the states.

Now based on this rendering, this is absolutely their pulling g the plug on the expensive outlay the Blue World was to be all dressed up as a Concern/Goodwill PR troll. Congrats OJWs, no expanded tanks, just the same ones with some theming.
105741b33610423f9b54730b680e2847_future_seaworld_header_resize3-new-encounter.jpg

Meanwhile, airfare to Hong Kong and ferry to Chimelong will run about a 1100 a head where you can catch a real Orca show in a couple of years.

I think SeaWorld has a pretty unique space in Orlando with Kraken, Manta and Mako soon. They're all world class coasters and if they go for the more extreme side of things with all the educational things they're doing, I'm sure they'll be a success again.

Thinking about cancelling the breeding programme it does seem a little strange that they're stopping the orcas primal instinct to reproduce unless they've got some ridiculous birth control. A condom for an orca could be used as a wacky inflatable arm flailing tube man.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I think SeaWorld has a pretty unique space in Orlando with Kraken, Manta and Mako soon. They're all world class coasters and if they go for the more extreme side of things with all the educational things they're doing, I'm sure they'll be a success again.

Thinking about cancelling the breeding programme it does seem a little strange that they're stopping the orcas primal instinct to reproduce unless they've got some ridiculous birth control. A condom for an orca could be used as a wacky inflatable arm flailing tube man.
I believe they are referring to the artificial breeding. If the orcas are feeling it, then we may have another Baby Shamu.

Reactions: IzzyB