SeaWorld Orlando General Updates | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Orlando General Updates

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Underage people going outside to drink/get high then coming back in. This is why for Halloween events Six Flags and most other regional parks have the same policy. It also helps keep other contraband (weapons, etc.) out. Go through once and you can figure out holes in Security to sneak stuff in on a second time through.

With the problems that Fun Spot had to prompt them to institute a chaperone policy this is not surprising at all.
People will still do these things beforehand. This is clearly a budget cut because they will do anything to save a penny.

I’m very surprised SeaWorld hasn’t raised there ticket prices tbh. Could weed out some of the loitering.

I’m very surprised SeaWorld hasn’t raised there ticket prices tbh. Could weed out some of the loitering.
They can't, lower ticket prices are their entire business model. They rely on in-park food & merchandise sales to make a profit. They'd rather take a loss on ticket sales and make it up with in-park spending.

In Q1, they generated $166M in admission tickets, operating costs were $165M.
Food/Merch revenue was $132M and costs were only $23M.

It's not sustainable in the long term, especially if they have to increase wages next year to combat Universal's hiring spree. You can only raise chicken tender prices so high ($19.79 + surcharge free) where people just don't buy it at all.

(yes there are other factors in play, this is just a simple explanation)

As I said-- this is not "trap people to make them spend money on food", this is a security issue. It's a limited policy for a specific reason.

I heard that BGT had a similar incident and despite added security and police in the park there were still issues. They really don't want to take a chance on more problems.

A very SeaWorld approach at fixing this issue considering most of the bgt takeover kids came 1-2 hours before incidents started. They need to quicken the security response time if they really want it to stop (obviously chaperone policy first). They knew days before at BGT, had addition police presence, and still couldn’t get security to the continually forming group until the fighting actually started

As I said-- this is not "trap people to make them spend money on food", this is a security issue. It's a limited policy for a specific reason.

I heard that BGT had a similar incident and despite added security and police in the park there were still issues. They really don't want to take a chance on more problems.
I'm sure this is related to these events... but how effective is it?

SeaWorld has abysmal security check and understaffed... should fix that first instead of a policy that is quite useless.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I don't claim to be an expert on any of this, but this is a common thing for parks to do when they have problems like this.

My background with theme parks goes back to Six Flags Great Adventure, the first park in the world to install metal detectors way back in 1987. The park had problems with guns, drugs, knives, gang fights, and robberies.

Years later when it came to Fright Fest they were having similar issues and instituted the same "no re-entry" policy just for those specific times when there was a potential threat to peace and security in the park. I don't know the details of why, but I know they determined that having people leaving the park and returning was contributing to the problem. Whether it's people drinking, getting high, bringing in contraband, or whatever it apparently helps the situation.

This is not a permanent policy change, this is a "we are doing this today for safety" temporary thing.

The hits just keep on coming...

In a nutshell, tips from non-tipped positions (e.g. counter service) will first be used to subsidize Sea World's guaranteed wage v. minimum wage. Only when that difference is covered will the remaining amount in the tip pool be distributed as a "bonus" to those TMs.

At this point, Corporate clearly doesn't care anymore. Just sell the parks already. Maybe we'll get lucky and August Busch will buy them back privately.

The hits just keep on coming...

In a nutshell, tips from non-tipped positions (e.g. counter service) will first be used to subsidize Sea World's guaranteed wage v. minimum wage. Only when that difference is covered will the remaining amount in the tip pool be distributed as a "bonus" to those TMs.

At this point, Corporate clearly doesn't care anymore. Just sell the parks already. Maybe we'll get lucky and August Busch will buy them back privately.

Good lord. Proud to have cancelled my AP. I hope others do too

What is going on at these parks? And is this a recent development? I had some coworkers talking about the "rough" crowds at SeaWorld and how it's not the people you see at Disney/Universal.

I was like hey I'm a SeaWorld person. :lmao: Maybe I've been lucky but I just see a normal mix of families when I go?

Reactions: IzzyB
What is going on at these parks? And is this a recent development? I had some coworkers talking about the "rough" crowds at SeaWorld and how it's not the people you see at Disney/Universal.

I was like hey I'm a SeaWorld person. :lmao: Maybe I've been lucky but I just see a normal mix of families when I go?
I think the issue is that there's an obvious difference in staffing levels/quality that tends to give people a bit more freedom as to what is allowed in the park. You can tell SeaWorld is operating at a very relaxed (aka who cares?) pace. It's not uncommon to see guests (most of them probably APs) use the backstage gate between Pipeline and Seafire to cut to the entrance instead of making the loop around the restaurant after fireworks.

I don't claim to be an expert on any of this, but this is a common thing for parks to do when they have problems like this.

My background with theme parks goes back to Six Flags Great Adventure, the first park in the world to install metal detectors way back in 1987. The park had problems with guns, drugs, knives, gang fights, and robberies.

Years later when it came to Fright Fest they were having similar issues and instituted the same "no re-entry" policy just for those specific times when there was a potential threat to peace and security in the park. I don't know the details of why, but I know they determined that having people leaving the park and returning was contributing to the problem. Whether it's people drinking, getting high, bringing in contraband, or whatever it apparently helps the situation.

This is not a permanent policy change, this is a "we are doing this today for safety" temporary thing.
My guess is that these issues are happening with guests entering later in the day and so by not allowing re-entry you are not having to deal with these people PLUS re-entry people and you can make sure the security proceeders are easier to follow with less people coming thru the gates.
I think the issue is that there's an obvious difference in staffing levels/quality that tends to give people a bit more freedom as to what is allowed in the park. You can tell SeaWorld is operating at a very relaxed (aka who cares?) pace. It's not uncommon to see guests (most of them probably APs) use the backstage gate between Pipeline and Seafire to cut to the entrance instead of making the loop around the restaurant after fireworks.
I agree there is a huge staffing difference, however, they many times open that backstage gate, They did the one day during Christmas because we were directed that way. I think it depends on crowd levels and if they need to have people go more than one way.

Reactions: GAcoaster