Seaworld Stocks Plunge 84% | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Seaworld Stocks Plunge 84%

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
There status is actually "Data Deficient."

I basically said as much.

This means that depending on which population you are actually revering to they are either endangered (like the Southern Resident group), doing great, or not enough information is known.

World populations are not endangered or listed on any countries endangered list.

They don't actually sell them to other parks either (Loro Parque does have some on loan but the trainers their lived in Orlando for over two years to gain knowledge on how to take care of them and SeaWorld trainers watched over them for another five years after they were moved).

Oh, they "loan" them now for free. How noble. Almost like China loaning their pandas for free (doesn't happen).

And why is it they continue to breed them?

Oh, they "loan" them now for free. How noble. Almost like China loaning their pandas for free (doesn't happen).

The loaned Orcas in Loro Parque are actually there for free whether you want to believe it or not.

They could stop the breeding program, but that would result in the pods not being sustained and dying off, preventing any further controlled research on Orcas.

I am simply stating true facts and correcting false ones. You believe what you want.

Except SeaWorld DID counter the attacks from Blackfish and PETA. You just had to look for it. They didn't create their own doc that played looped on CNN and Netflix.

Research of Orcas... that's a good one. Do you work at or for SeaWorld?

Orca migration is well known all over the world, and teams of scientists are positioned at those times to study them in their natural environment. Enough Orcas die and wash up every so often for scientists to study their guts and biology.

SeaWorld has tried to counter Black Fish...the problem is that in the social media age, opinions get magnified. The people that are against Sea World are a very loud and aggressive voice. I've never seen Blackfish, and I even understand why people would feel "uncomfortable" going there. The hypocrisy is these same people that aren't buying tickets to Sea World, are still buying tickets to Animal Kingdom, or their local zoos.

In my opinion, SeaWorld should have completely ignored this film, and kept it out of the media as much as possible. Reassuring people that you are "doing the right thing", still makes them think you may be doing the wrong thing. You need to let the film and idea leave the public conversation for a while. That's the only way these things go away these days. For every Tweet about "get the facts" a hundred more angry tweets show up.

If the animal rights people were smart they would stop trying to get SeaWorld to release the Orcas and instead go to Washington to lobby for a bill to make the Orca breeding program illegal. Until that happens then SeaWorld is within their rights to have that breeding program just like any other zoo or aquarium. That would actually be the smart way to do it since the whales aren't likely to be able to survive in the wild. The current whales could die out in captivity with no more to replace them as they die.

Reactions: Teebin
regardless of the argument as to whether SeaWorld is a terrible organization whose main goal is world wide orca captivity or if they are benevolent saints of the animal kingdom who only want to provide plentiful fields, plains, and watery playgrounds.

The reason PETA attacks them is because they can. SeaWorld is in a weaker position than other groups and PETA has the money to fight them. If SeaWorld was still owned by Busch there isn't a chance they would be attacking. This is also the reason they aren't fighting Disney on AK or the government on zoos. They would lose and come off as more crazy than usual weakening their brand in the future.

regardless of the argument as to whether SeaWorld is a terrible organization whose main goal is world wide orca captivity or if they are benevolent saints of the animal kingdom who only want to provide plentiful fields, plains, and watery playgrounds.

The reason PETA attacks them is because they can. SeaWorld is in a weaker position than other groups and PETA has the money to fight them. If SeaWorld was still owned by Busch there isn't a chance they would be attacking. This is also the reason they aren't fighting Disney on AK or the government on zoos. They would lose and come off as more crazy than usual weakening their brand in the future.

I agree. I don't think they really care about the welfare of animals so much as they do about getting attention for themselves. I think they started out with good intentions and as time went on the organization somehow got corrupted. I would like to know if they do end up shutting SeaWorld down if they would be willing to make up for the money that SeaWorld spends on their rescue operations and conservation. That is the one thing they always fail to bring up. Without the parks SeaWorld doesn't have the money to fund any of that.

I agree. I don't think they really care about the welfare of animals so much as they do about getting attention for themselves. I think they started out with good intentions and as time went on the organization somehow got corrupted. I would like to know if they do end up shutting SeaWorld down if they would be willing to make up for the money that SeaWorld spends on their rescue operations and conservation. That is the one thing they always fail to bring up. Without the parks SeaWorld doesn't have the money to fund any of that.
This is why I think SeaWorld should release ALL animals, keep the "Sea" theme and start building more ride that can compete with attractions in the area (Orlando), and finally shut every single conservation programs and funds to wildlife (those animals were cute back in the 80s but now they are all just a pain in the rear end). I think the main question is Are you pro or against animal captivity (regarless of the reason for it), and if the answer is "against" then all National Zoo and Parks (including DAK) should be shut down.... PROBLEM SOLVED people, but no.... because it's not about the animals, it's about the drama. Beside the fact that if we solve this problem then there would be no more reason for PETA to exist

Research of Orcas... that's a good one. Do you work at or for SeaWorld?.
Just cause my opinion of the situation is counter to yours does not mean I work for SeaWorld.

Orca migration is well known all over the world, and teams of scientists are positioned at those times to study them in their natural environment. Enough Orcas die and wash up every so often for scientists to study their guts and biology.
Research is not just of an animal's physical biology (Which isn't even accurate with dead animals. Think of our understanding of our own bodies before things like X-rays and Cat-Scans, which showed us our body processes while they were still working). Research also includes stuff such as understanding an animal's psychology, which can not be done on a dead animal.

The fact that their conservation status is "Data Deficient" should indicate that not enough is known on the animal.

Reactions: maxairmike
Yeah I have known about their more nefarious practices for quite some time, hopefully better than most people do and I'm glad they don't because it really is heartbreaking. I merely choose not to go into them too much or post too many links because it doesn't take far to get to things people shouldn't see.

Yeah I have known about their more nefarious practices for quite some time, hopefully better than most people do and I'm glad they don't because it really is heartbreaking. I merely choose not to go into them too much or post too many links because it doesn't take far to get to things people shouldn't see.

Like I said about them somewhere else. They are the "do what I say not what I do" types. That and please give us money.

If Peta is against animals held in captivity, then why are they not against jails and prisons for humans? Humans are just animals after all ...
Uh, humans in prisons are criminals. They committed a crime. The animals in captivity aren't criminals. Animals can't be criminals because they don't have the capacity of reasoning.

First of all, I think PETA actually attacked Disney's Animal Kingdom at the beginning: "Even in planning stages, various Florida based animal rights groups and PETA did not like the idea of Disney creating a theme park where animals were held in captivity. The groups protested, and PETA tried to convince travel agents not to book trips to the park"- This was taken from Wikipedia.

Finally, can someone that defend SeaWorld with passion remind me when was the last time that an animal KILLED a cast member in Animal Kingdom? We are not just talking about the cruel treatment to animals but we're also talking about human lives who are endangered. It is normal that 3 trainers died at SeaWorld? Fact: It is NOT.

Uh, humans in prisons are criminals. They committed a crime. The animals in captivity aren't criminals. Animals can't be criminals because they don't have the capacity of reasoning.

First of all, I think PETA actually attacked Disney's Animal Kingdom at the beginning: "Even in planning stages, various Florida based animal rights groups and PETA did not like the idea of Disney creating a theme park where animals were held in captivity. The groups protested, and PETA tried to convince travel agents not to book trips to the park"- This was taken from Wikipedia.

Finally, can someone that defend SeaWorld with passion remind me when was the last time that an animal KILLED a cast member in Animal Kingdom? We are not just talking about the cruel treatment to animals but we're also talking about human lives who are endangered. It is normal that 3 trainers died at SeaWorld? Fact: It is NOT.

Trainers at zoos fall victim from time to time just a white tiger finally decided to munch on a guy with thick German accent was. We must release all elephants, now!
Elephant kills keeper at Springfield, Missouri, zoo - CNN.com

In fact, I bet this isn't the only death involving elephants in zoo setting much less a show setting.

I believe in free will. A person chose an occupation and sometimes that involves risks. My Father was a pilot/crop duster. I sat as a 13 year and watched a wind shear flip him over on a landing once after aerial seeding rice. He walked away. I had a friend that crashed in a bean field in east Arkansas this summer. This time, we picked up pieces It's a job both loved and it involved risks. They did what they did under their own free will.

Anywho, there's tens of thousands of acres in East Arkansas that is managed for migrating waterfowl every year. We flood three fields at a cost in the thousands and manage about 120 acres of old grown bottomland hardwood. We provide food and habitat for 10s of 1,000s of ducks, geese and other birds every year. We hunt and harvest about 200 to 400 ducks off of it in total. If the likes of PETA gets their way, I and other hunters couldn't do that and I will tell you habitat will disappear once again. My woods that provide a home to 100s of species will go to the mill for hundreds of thousands of dollars and Mr. Bobcat will have to find somewhere else to live in a sea of flat agricultural fields that willnot by artificially flooded to provide wintering grounds. Virtually all those 10s of 1,000s of acres would go bye bye. PETA folks just don't grasp it. Take away sportsmen buying Federal Migratory Stamps and National Wildlife Refuges lose a huge chunk of their funding.

Idiots, the whole lot of them.

Peta folks should be fighting real injustice like slaves used on the Thai fishing boats harvesting the seafood used to make Buffy the Cat's food.
Let me know when zit poppers like Harry Styles cancels an announced show in Bangkok in protest of that. That might cost him some pounds and have to forego a 300 pair jeans bedazzled by some kid in a sweatshop somewhere going on their 12th hour of the day.

Last edited:
What human is killed working in zoos is really missing the point. Handling wild animals is a dangerous trade... kind of like Nascar.

The deaths merely helped focus eyes on other, more important matters of Orca lifestyle and environment.