Shrek Queue test | Inside Universal Forums

Shrek Queue test

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 5, 2009
Miami, FL
Screamscape is reporting that a test was carried out on Shrek 4D which involved the standby queue being eliminated and guest being required to obtain a return time through either a kiosk or the UO App before entering the attraction. Fallon has also been rumored to use such technology for its queue experience along with Volcanoe Bays no standby queue system. What are the chances that this is the early groundwork for UO's return to a fast pass style system like it was in the early 2000's except this time it would be joined by a UO App on a smartphone? Does anyone have any images of the test being carried out at Shrek 4D?

I would doubt this would be adopted resort wide. Universal has invested, and continues to invest, much in capacity eating queues that are almost attractions in themselves. (F&F, FJ, Gringotts, Kong, Mummy, Spider Man, Simpsons, ET, Transformers, Doom, Hulk, MIB, and others on a lesser scale)

Reactions: SeventyOne
Blech. At best it reduces wait times to ten minutes, at worst an hour and screws up everything if a ride goes down. Plus this would defeat all the work that's gone into the queues at rides like Kong and Potter. Queues are an important feature at theme parks and so engrained in minds that people will still want to "just wait in line" for it.

Water parks work slightly better as the slides have abysmal capacity and way more to do that's active that doesn't require queueing (pools, rivers, water playgrounds, etc).

The only way I see ticketing working is like for WoC for shows with set times.

This isn't going to be a resort wide thing. Queues create capacity in the park. If you get rid of them, the max capacity in any park would plummet.

Personally, I see them moving all of their low capacity rides to this system. Plus, I'm sure they want massive amounts of testing for VB.

Well, back in Sept (methinks) they added the kiosk with return tickets for the Pteranodon Flyers at Camp Jurassic.

I too think this is more about adding this to a few low capacity attractions.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
Blech. At best it reduces wait times to ten minutes, at worst an hour and screws up everything if a ride goes down. Plus this would defeat all the work that's gone into the queues at rides like Kong and Potter. Queues are an important feature at theme parks and so engrained in minds that people will still want to "just wait in line" for it.

Water parks work slightly better as the slides have abysmal capacity and way more to do that's active that doesn't require queueing (pools, rivers, water playgrounds, etc).

The only way I see ticketing working is like for WoC for shows with set times.

I think their failsafe for avoiding an hour wait is that it doesn't give a return time (at volcano bay that is) but rather pings you when you can return. So if the ride breaks down it simply never pings you.

I think their failsafe for avoiding an hour wait is that it doesn't give a return time (at volcano bay that is) but rather pings you when you can return. So if the ride breaks down it simply never pings you.

The test with Shrek gives you a return window and the test at WnW did too. Maybe VB will be different. Plus slides break down way less often!

Any chance this could work at Minion Mayhem? That queue seems incredibly small.

Minion Mayhem needs an expansion of capacity to be honest. But like previous people have posted I could see a system like this coming to rides that have low capacity like Fallon, shrek, and minions.