Six Flags and Cedar Fair to Merge | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags and Cedar Fair to Merge

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So to put things into perspective, someone made a Six Flags and Cedar Fair Merger Map.
image.png

Red = Six Flags
Blue = Cedar Fair

Not a fan of this merger for the same reason I wasn't a fan of the attempted SWP-CF merger. There's no way this plays out that doesn't result in parks being shuttered, especially parks like Michigan's Adventure that are the only theme park in the region. I'm not intimately familiar with the financial health of the two companies, but I wasn't under the impression either one was in great shape, and them merging together is unlikely to fix that--just ask Kmart and Sears. What's worse, now if the company goes under it'll take down the SF and the CF parks with it.

That said, I wouldn't mind having a single annual pass that's good for 42 parks lol.

Schlitterbahn New Braunfels is easily a contender for most confusing layout in a theme park.

Looking at some of these parks either company has, yeah, I'm not exactly sure where some of these parks like Frontier City or Darien Lake fit into the future. How many of these parks is the company going to want to operate when some parks likely won't grow and maintenance costs will only increase as rides age?

Last edited:
I hope it works out but....I'm not a fan of mergers at this point.

I think we need to be shrinking companies not combining more
That's all great and good when money is cheap and easy to get. That's no the case anymore. It's expensive, if you can get it in a tightening credit market as banks are stressed as is.

Reactions: Mad Dog
That's all great and good when money is cheap and easy to get. That's no the case anymore. It's expensive, if you can get it in a tightening credit market as banks are stressed as is.
The system is suppose to be

You make a Product/service and if your Product/service makes profits then it continues on if not you fail and the public is saying they don't care for what you are selling, your product cost too much etc.

This system now rewards companies from instead of innovating they just merge and become too big to fail and get a bail out when it's the leadership being unable to turn a profit

I'm just not a fan if Six Flags can't keep people coming in its on them, I used to go but the amount of rides down when ever I went along with bad ops where lines were insanely long made me lose interest (along with many area's of the park being ugly and not kept well)

Paramount has no interest in running parks again.

I honestly see no anti-trust issues with the parks they have. The ones with overlap also have outside competition. They may decide to sell some off to raise cash and reduce debts, but that may only be a couple of smaller parks.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The Department of Justice has asked for additional information regarding the merger:

Reactions: GA-MBIT

As previously announced, upon closing of the transaction, Richard Zimmerman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Cedar Fair, will serve as President and Chief Executive Officer of the combined company and Selim Bassoul, President and Chief Executive Officer of Six Flags, will serve as Executive Chairman of the combined company’s Board of Directors.

After completion of the Mergers, the following leaders will report to Zimmerman in the combined company:

• Tim Fisher, Chief Operating Officer (currently in same position at Cedar Fair)
  • Brian Witherow, Chief Financial Officer (currently in same position at Cedar Fair)
  • Brian Nurse, Chief Legal & Compliance Officer, and Corporate Secretary (currently in same position at Cedar Fair)
  • Christian Dieckmann, Chief Strategy Officer (currently in same position at Cedar Fair)
  • Gary Mick, Chief Integration Officer (currently Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer at Six Flags)
“We are fortunate to have a proven team of leaders who bring decades of park operating experience and significant expertise in integrating businesses and achieving synergy targets for the combined company,” said Zimmerman. “Their insights and complementary skill sets will be instrumental as we combine two of North America’s iconic amusement park companies and forge a new future together.”
So, basically Cedar Fair is running it all post merger, with just one Six Flags top level person as Chief Integration Officer, a role which most likely just a limited time.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Grabnar

So, basically Cedar Fair is running it all post merger, with just one Six Flags top level person as Chief Integration Officer, a role which most likely just a limited time.

That's a positive. I wonder how the park presidents from Six Flags will fare as some of them aren't that wonderful. This whole deal fills me with dread for the impact on Kings Island. I've been going since 1975 and saw the impact of the various owners (Paramount was the worst).

I'm eagerly awaiting word on annual passes. If the past is any indication, for the rest of this year they may honor existing passes sold by Six Flags and Cedar Fair between the brands. That would be a good will gesture to their passholders as they brace them for the upgrade at a higher price next year, and also bring in much needed turnstile clicks and revenues with people visiting parks they weren't able to before. This summer seems to be soft industry wide, and they could probably use the increased traffic and spending. Either that or start selling 2025 passes soon (August/September) so people get the rest of 2024 and all of 2025 at all parks. That would drive attendance for fall/winter events across the board.

Reactions: Rideguy70
I wish I could be a fly on the wall as the Cedar Fair guys take a look at the Six Flags books for the first time. Yep guys, you’ve got your work cut out for you.

If the past is any indication, for the rest of this year they may honor existing passes sold by Six Flags and Cedar Fair between the brands. That would be a good will gesture to their passholders as they brace them for the upgrade at a higher price next year, and also bring in much needed turnstile clicks and revenues with people visiting parks they weren't able to before.
This would be a terrible idea. Most people don't know they are merged so they should us that to their advantage. Wait until you can get all your park more uniformed. However the most important reason to not do that is that ot sets a precedent for the customer that the new mega pass should be the same price as before. The higher price will hurt but if you can announce it with the price they want and to be able to say now with access to X amount of new parks, that would allow them to justify the price hike.

Most passholders know all about the merger and are eager to visit the "new" parks. All you have to do is look at the passholder groups on FB to see there would be a lot of new traffic if they did this. And, the passholders already know what to expect-- they've all seen SF horror stories.