Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

One of three things is happening here:

1) The graphic is a placeholder that got mistakenly tweeted. There is no internal opening plan.
2) They inadvertently or intentionally got ahead of an imminent announcement about California reopening strategies and know something we don't.
3) They are aware that the state does not plan to imminently change their reopening strategy and are openly putting a line in the sand, especially as reopening now seems to hinge on efficacy of the vaccine rollout.
I think it’s 2 and 3.

As I said in the CGA thread, even if the state changes their mind at the last minute about letting them reopen again, I think they will pursue legal action and open anyway. There’s no way any of the parks can survive being shut down another summer. Going more than a year with no clear path on reopening is ridiculous.

I think it’s 2 and 3.

As I said in the CGA thread, even if the state changes their mind at the last minute about letting them reopen again, I think they will pursue legal action and open anyway. There’s no way any of the parks can survive being shut down another summer. Going more than a year with no clear path on reopening is ridiculous.
Agreed. This game the state is playing has gone on long enough. If we can crowd inside Walmart and Costco then we can go to a dam theme park. Especially one like SFMM that is all
Outside.

There’s no way these parks can survive being closed any longer. It’s clear most of the public is ready to head back to the parks. Just look at the sold out food events at Knott’s and DownTown Disney always having hours long lines in the Grand Californian parking lot to enter. For some counties, it’s going to be nearly impossible to reach orange/yellow tier that is currently needed to reopen.

I mean... it was a mass announcement that was reposted to every SF park in the chain. And many of them do have set reopening dates. So I'm not reading much into this.

To me, it's sort of wishful thinking... but, also based on falling rates and increased vaccinations, it's a possibility.

Also keep in mind that WCR was supposed to open in summer of 2019, and we all know how that turned out.

All the California parks have petitioned to have theme parks moved from yellow to orange. They must be pretty confident that the news will come back in their favor. This is all politics.

One of three things is happening here:

1) The graphic is a placeholder that got mistakenly tweeted. There is no internal opening plan.
2) They inadvertently or intentionally got ahead of an imminent announcement about California reopening strategies and know something we don't.
3) They are aware that the state does not plan to imminently change their reopening strategy and are openly putting a line in the sand, especially as reopening now seems to hinge on efficacy of the vaccine rollout.

I am thinking it's #3. I am sure they are all looking at the data of vaccine rollouts and planning a potential line in the sand for now. Six Flag's post on Facebook was a little different than the one they shared on Instagram, stating that they are opening in 2021 (no season attached) and that it was all subject to change with state guidelines, etc.

I got the impression from what Cedar Fair said/posted the state was already on board with a state wide park re-opening plan/timeline.

^I don't believe that's the case. If I'm not mistaken, I thought Cedar Fair was just totally prepared work with the state into guidelines. But as far as I know, there's nothing official from the State. It's just the parks trying to lean on the state a bit.

Which I'm all for... I said from the very beginning, Orange Tier should be fine. Yellow Tier, the current standard for park opening, may not happen for years, if ever (even with vaccines, since they'll be a non-trivial population who won't get them---likely the same people who don't wear masks in the first place, so I suspect Covid will exist in some form for a long, long time).

Maybe they just announced it prematurely? Disney was supposed to have their food festival in March, but they haven't announced anything. Maybe they got word and are preparing for the opening, there's been no activity on the union Facebook group about the festival thing.

Didn't see it posted but a Car drive through event focusing on classic cars is coming next month....its one ticket per car (as it should be) so I will head to that im sure

Guessing park opening day, along with adding more pressure for AB420 to go through. I'd even say this may be a push with both Magic Mountain and Discovery Kingdom being used to add tension on both north and south California.

Last edited:
Many members are saying they've received emails that the Cruisin' in the Park car event is now free for members/AP. (I haven't gotten one yet, but I'm still at work and haven't been able to check).

Also noted, prices for the event have gone down for everyone else... it's now $49 per car, assuming there are 4 or fewer people in the car. It does go up if you have more than 4 people in your car.

Many members are saying they've received emails that the Cruisin' in the Park car event is now free for members/AP. (I haven't gotten one yet, but I'm still at work and haven't been able to check).

Also noted, prices for the event have gone down for everyone else... it's now $49 per car, assuming there are 4 or fewer people in the car. It does go up if you have more than 4 people in your car.
Yes. Already made reservations.

Attachments

• C7797614-A422-49C6-A2EE-67B00A82405F.jpeg
    C7797614-A422-49C6-A2EE-67B00A82405F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
From various outlets, including Park Journey and Behind The Thrills: Six Flags Magic Mountain is looking to reopen the park in Early April; as initial reservations for April 1st were placed by numerous individuals.

Park Journey has taken down their posts, while Behind The Thrills is keeping it on.

The "April 1" reopening graphic is all over their site, though clicking it directs to a 404. It's also listed as the official opening date on the broader Six Flags pages. However, if you attempt to make a reservation, there are no dates or times available.

Kind of an embarrassing and confusing launch, to be honest.