Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 111 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a video of it testing for anybody curious.

Yes, I remember that. I guess that mock up was built somewhat shorter than the tallest person in the world standard. It even looks short to the naked eye. Someone had a foot or so missing from his measuring tape (probably value engineered budget 'cut') :lol: Otherwise they would have caught the problem before they had to shut it down.

Reactions: Mike S and Scott W.
Pretty sure it's going to be made to look like a wooden sign

That's a shame, I really love the contrast and simplicity of it, I think it will get lost against the background slightly. It looks like it's hanging as well which would add to the wooden board style.

@Quint, you don't by any chance have a high res version of this you could upload to imgur.com or somewhere and I could apply a texture over it?

Yes, I remember that. I guess that mock up was built somewhat shorter than the tallest person in the world standard. It even looks short to the naked eye. Someone had a foot or so missing from his measuring tape (probably value engineered budget 'cut') :lol: Otherwise they would have caught the problem before they had to shut it down.

Somebody was measuring in inches and the other in cm, like the Mars Climate Orbiter all over again. Speaking of tall people on rollercoasters, I once went on Kumba sitting beside Shaq. No idea who he was and was a bit miffed that I couldn't see my onride photo because they were holding bits of paper over the screens to stop people taking photos of it.

Here's a shot from today with the marquee in place. Theming coming, I suspect.

That reminds me of the Everest sign. An anecdote about the EE sign: I arrived at AK on a day when they had just lowered part of the wall in front of the EE attraction entrance. As I had already read the "AK making of book" I recognized the virtually every imagineer working that day. They were just stringing up the fabric sign. A few imagineers that arrived from other areas on the project quickly spoke out with, "That's the permanent sign?" and "That's what Joe wants?".

A good example of how one can be a major player on a project and yet still not know half of what's happening or how the final product details will look.

Anyway, that Kong sign reminds me of the EE sign.

That reminds me of the Everest sign. An anecdote about the EE sign: I arrived at AK on a day when they had just lowered part of the wall in front of the EE attraction entrance. As I had already read the "AK making of book" I recognized the virtually every imagineer working that day. They were just stringing up the fabric sign. A few imagineers that arrived from other areas on the project quickly spoke out with, "That's the permanent sign?" and "That's what Joe wants?".

A good example of how one can be a major player on a project and yet still not know half of what's happening or how the final product details will look.

Anyway, that Kong sign reminds me of the EE sign.

Was there not a story along the lines of; the imagineers put up bunting but had spent a while making it look distressed and well used and the next day they returned, somebody had trashed it and replaced it with brand new and clean bunting?

Wasn't someone on here saying they're aiming for early May softs?
Someone said May, another said June. I would be ecstatic with early May softs since I'll be there May 7-17. I wouldn't have to wait for the Autumn vacation to experience Kong. You know, I would think they'd want to open Kong & Hulk as soon as the can (without Gringotts' type issues being present), since they're a bit short of capacity at the Studio's with two attractions and one large show closed, and the imminent KidZone deconstruction on the horizon.

Reactions: JoeCamel and Ryno27
Someone said May, another said June. I would be ecstatic with early May softs since I'll be there May 7-17. I wouldn't have to wait for the Autumn vacation to experience Kong. You know, I would think they'd want to open Kong & Hulk as soon as the can (without Gringotts' type issues being present), since they're a bit short of capacity at the Studio's with two attractions and one large show closed, and the imminent KidZone deconstruction on the horizon.

I doubt May happens, but it'd be nice.

And I don't think KidZone will close until after this year, but who knows.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
Was there not a story along the lines of; the imagineers put up bunting but had spent a while making it look distressed and well used and the next day they returned, somebody had trashed it and replaced it with brand new and clean bunting?

I dunno... I wasn't doing the forum theme park thingy back then. The highlight was the budget manager imagineer on the project who came up on the guest path and leaned on the wall nearby to me. He chatted with the working persons on the sign and then I engaged him in conversation. He didn't have a chance and sang like a canary...

Design work before they can start construction. Sounds like their plans weren't as detailed as I thought they were based on what Iwata said about the detailed pitch in 2014 that got Nintendo on board.

I don't think it has anything to do with needing to design more and everything to do with them needing to keep things open for now.

Reactions: IzzyB
Status
Not open for further replies.