Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 661 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We keep drifting from Kong, folks. Brian has asked to keep the conversation on that ride as much as possible.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Why exactly is “business is going to business” an acceptable excuse? Is there any cut that it couldn’t be used to excuse? Corporate culture isn’t some immutable force, it’s a series of human choices. How is it a defense?

Thanks for glossing over the "I can’t get worked up" part. I didn't say it was acceptable or an excuse. I know there's going to be decisions out of my control. I've let my displeasure known. All you can do. The next step is to let 'em know with your wallet.

Thanks for glossing over the "I can’t get worked up" part. I didn't say it was acceptable or an excuse. I know there's going to be decisions out of my control. I've let my displeasure known. All you can do. The next step is to let 'em know with your wallet.
I didn’t intend to gloss over it - “I can’t get worked up” seemed to indicate that, for you personally, “business is gonna business” is an excuse that limits your irritation at the decision. What cut or other action could Universal take that you wouldn’t view as just “business doing business?”

I didn’t intend to gloss over it - “I can’t get worked up” seemed to indicate that, for you personally, “business is gonna business” is an excuse that limits your irritation at the decision. What cut or other action could Universal take that you wouldn’t view as just “business doing business?”

Everything they do is "business is gonna business" :lol:

What will be my breaking point, though? If they start removing AP benefits while also not adequately investing in the parks. I love the AP perks, and obviously, big things are coming - so while I may not like this change on the micro, I still love Universal's offerings on the macro.

The best example I can give is giving up our Disney AP in a post-COVID world. They weren't adding enough, and took away certain benefits while also increasing costs, all while requiring reservations. That was my wife and I's breaking point. Haven't been in 4 years.

Now that rezzies are no longer required, some new attractions opened, and we have a 1-year old - we're looking at becoming a passholder again.

The only positive I can see for this move is that the Kong AA was always recommended to view with the glasses off. Now I don't have to use the energy to take the glasses off, since there's no glasses. Plus plus plus kudo to that Efficiency Committee for that energy savings. ;) :lmao:

To this point, I'd again love to know if they bothered to relight the ride to accommodate the lack of what are essentially sunglasses indoors... or if all the show scenes are now way too bright.

Reactions: SpatulaShack
Everything they do is "business is gonna business" :lol:

What will be my breaking point, though? If they start removing AP benefits while also not adequately investing in the parks. I love the AP perks, and obviously, big things are coming - so while I may not like this change on the micro, I still love Universal's offerings on the macro.

The best example I can give is giving up our Disney AP in a post-COVID world. They weren't adding enough, and took away certain benefits while also increasing costs, all while requiring reservations. That was my wife and I's breaking point. Haven't been in 4 years.

Now that rezzies are no longer required, some new attractions opened, and we have a 1-year old - we're looking at becoming a passholder again.
Though this is a bit off topic....I'd guess they won't do anything drastic to cut AP benefits. Two reasons:
*AP's are a 'major' source of their attendance. You especially see it on Saturdays, that are never ever slow, no matter the season.
*I'd think they learned their lesson when they dissed their AP's members during the year Hogsmeade opened in Hollywood, resulting in a much slower than expected land debut. and then had to perform a zillion different incentives to get them back.

Last edited:
I have read through the last few pages and....boy. Having been on these threads for 12 years, I would have never expected such a guttural reaction to Universal making changes to a 3D ride. I'm not saying anyone's reasons for their thinking are wrong. In the height of the "SCREENZ" era, I just never would have imagined reading some of the responses I've read.

My opinion? Taking away glasses on a ride that was never meant to be an anchor attraction doesn't sway me too much. This has always been a "meh" ride. I go for the queue and that animatronic. Even with the glasses, the 3D was half-rate at best and has started showing its age. I was on it for the 2nd time in the last 6 months this past weekend and it's painful to keep up with the graphics. Same can be said for Supercharged. Even though Kong may have grown into a more beloved attraction than it was meant to be, I agree with @Brian G. - @Casper Gutman , you can argue until you're blue in the face, but "business is going to business" is the reality. No amount of online conversation is going to deter the machine that is American consumerism.

We will look back at this in a few years and laugh (hopefully) at this for what it is (hopefully) - just something that preoccupies us until Epic.

Considering that Universal is about to debut their own "Individual Lightning Lane" soon, which will drive additional revenue to the parks division, it'll make the removal of 3D even harder to justify/defend. They'll probably generate enough revenue in one week to cover the annual expense of having 3D on the ride.

Business is business, but goodwill is also valuable. You can't tie revenue directly to great service/experiences, but boy does it make an long-lasting impact. Universal has gained business from some of the eroded goodwill at WDW... does Universal really want to dip their toe in this game prior to their largest expansion since 1999?

I'll give Universal the benefit of the doubt and hope they revert course next week when the testing period ends.

If only this cacophony of voices carried the same energy for positive changes. :lol:
I can't speak for everyone, but I think we're generally positive on here. Maybe some of us have to be a bit more louder/consistent with our negative feedback because Universal doesn't get the same level of pushback that WDW gets. WDW increased prices today, and the WDWMagic forum is already up to 7 pages... Universal increased tickets back in October (APs in Spring) and there was little discussion. I think holding Universal accountable to "Disney standards" is a very positive thing (outside of construction schedules).

It's great that Universal is finally working on improving its quick service locations, but those projects should take place in a recurring pace (Mel's was in really bad shape prior to its closure and food options were bland throughout the parks). Same with maintenance on attractions like E.T., MIB, JPRA, Universal should have never let maintenance get away to inexcusable levels on those attractions.

Is this.. confirmed? Where have I been?
Not yet, but it does look like they're gearing up for its debut soon. Along with the new app, Hagrid's queue just finished its expansion, it was needed anyway, but they'll definitely need it as the standby line will be impacted. I would love to be wrong here though, I don't think Hagrid to this day can support additional express users.

I have read through the last few pages and....boy. Having been on these threads for 12 years, I would have never expected such a guttural reaction to Universal making changes to a 3D ride. I'm not saying anyone's reasons for their thinking are wrong. In the height of the "SCREENZ" era, I just never would have imagined reading some of the responses I've read.
In all fairness it was about screens. The ride has the same amount of screens as before. Just those screens are worse than they were before since they took away 3D
If only this cacophony of voices carried the same energy for positive changes. :lol:
I mean I praised them for JP and said when I rode it everything looks really good and we were all impressed by that ride. Also, I stated Mel's menu looked good for a diner. I am pretty equal in my positive comments when they do something good as I am when they do something bad. And I get business is business, I just really have never experienced making a ride worse. Sure time ages rides, but making it worse seems like an odd choice to be.

To this point, I'd again love to know if they bothered to relight the ride to accommodate the lack of what are essentially sunglasses indoors... or if all the show scenes are now way too bright.
It felt brighter - and dare I say…clearer? That was the one nice thing about it being 2D is that you can see finer detail in the backgrounds.

That said, not worth the trade off at all.

I think almost all of us on this forum gives kudos to Universal when they deserve it. Of course, if we're being objective, rather than subjective, we give criticism also where it's unfortunately deserved. Most everyone here is pretty even handed. Operations since covid haven't been as smooth as before covid, so that might be the primary reason we're not quite as rose colored glasses as we were from 2010 to 2019. But we still say good stuff about Universal, on the whole. Most of the mean spirited, and/or rude, posters don't post much anymore. And that's a good thing. ;)

I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek, but hit dog will holler and all that.

While we're on Day 4 of Kong debate - which everyone is unilaterally saying sucks, let's check over the nice new things that are happening around the Resort.

Portofino Redo? Seems kinda cold. Let's hop over to Mel's, since that opened today... one comment, and it was budget-related.

I never said y'all were never positive, you just don't keep the same energy across both sides. Sure, I may tend to lean towards the positive things - mostly because I like things that make me happy, and you get a lot more with honey than vingear.

Just sayin

I can't speak for everyone, but I think we're generally positive on here. Maybe some of us have to be a bit more louder/consistent with our negative feedback because Universal doesn't get the same level of pushback that WDW gets. WDW increased prices today, and the WDWMagic forum is already up to 7 pages... Universal increased tickets back in October (APs in Spring) and there was little discussion. I think holding Universal accountable to "Disney standards" is a very positive thing (outside of construction schedules).

1. WDWMagic is a bigger forum than ours. I'd expect more pages.
2. You need to get off that Disney v Universal hill.

Considering that Universal is about to debut their own "Individual Lightning Lane" soon,

IDK about all that...