Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 99 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Yeah, a part of me wonders if it was left open to hype the attraction. If so, the plan more than succeeded.

On another note, I don't believe this twitter has been posted yet. It's fun and very new.

This is a stupid question but I can't remember for the life of me right now. Are the vehicles trackless?

So this could be a lot closer to completion than I thought. I think this will add a lot to the ride as track always added a degree of predictability to rides.

This raises a couple of questions (For me anyway)

Is the vehicle preprogrammed with the route or does it need to learn it?

How are the vehicles powered?

Well then, someone should go and tell them that there ain't no photo ops in the building except perhaps elements of the queue. I would call the Kong entrance the best photo op anyone is going to get.

As far as gifts, there appears to be little kiosks outside the exit. That's it.

I know this post is a few days old, but both pieces of news here are kind of bummers. I’m willing to pay for a commemorative photo with Kong, Universal! You’re leaving my money on the table when I’m trying to throw it at you!

Reactions: Ryno27
I know this post is a few days old, but both pieces of news here are kind of bummers. I’m willing to pay for a commemorative photo with Kong, Universal! You’re leaving my money on the table when I’m trying to throw it at you!
Keeping my fingers crossed that Teebin has bad info on this. Heck, Sunday showed us that even Belichick makes a bad call every now & then. I can't see Universal passing up big bucks on a photo op for this attraction. Maybe it's just in a different spot.

Reactions: belloq87
Battery powered. Ride is controlled through a central computer system, I think, and uses WiFi to connect to the vehicles.
^ The only thing I would add to that is that there is an electronic wire buried in the ride path to guide the vehicle. Otherwise, spot on.

Are the vehicles getting quick charged when they return back to the station or will they be using tesla size batteries and then switched in and out during the day?

The hidden wire makes things a lot simpler.

In my head I thought it would be something similar to the videos you see of a car learning a race track after getting driven around it several times. I had an image of members of Universal Creative pushing the vehicle around the track and rocking it about to programme it. :bonk:

Are the vehicles getting quick charged when they return back to the station or will they be using tesla size batteries and then switched in and out during the day?

In my head I thought it would be something similar to the videos you see of a car learning a race track after getting driven around it several times. I had an image of members of Universal Creative pushing the vehicle around the track and rocking it about to programme it. :bonk:
Now that's a funny thought. Team Members pushing a truck like vehicle with a UC Vice President standing in it all gung ho like. And then it smashes against the AA's, screen or gates. :lol:

Reactions: Scott W. and Mike S
Pretty sure the chargers are under the load station. So it will charge while passengers load

I'll be genuinely impressed if that's the way they're doing it. The average load time is what? 2mins? If the ride is meant to be about 6mins long, that's really impressive.

Upon saying that, if there is separate loading and unloading stations and I assume the vehicles would start charging the second they return to the station, they'll get double the time to charge.

I told everyone about this a month or so ago. To believe they recharge that fast, you have to know the batteries it uses. They are called capacitor batteries. Simply put, they are charged in a near instant as it is a static (clothes stick together) charge. The batteries can be powerful, but short lived if they are used. Each vehicle has banks of them.

Supercapacitor Information – Battery University

Last edited:
Reactions: anihilnation
This is a stupid question but I can't remember for the life of me right now. Are the vehicles trackless?
I really wish I understood how Track less vehicles worked. Antartica was so cool when I went on it but I for the life of me can not grasp the trackless concept. Seems as though this ride is already a winner becAuse of being trackless.

I told everyone about this a month or so ago. To believe they recharge that fast, you have to know the batteries it uses. They are called capacitor batteries. Simply put, they are charged in a near instant as it is a static (clothes stick together) charge. The batteries can be powerful, but short lived if they are used. Each vehicle has banks of them.

I've heard about capacity batteries for years but I've never heard about them actually being used. They quickly charge yes but they also quickly discharge and putting them on a ride that could be 3x as long as the charge time is quite bold. Especially if there is a delay in dispatching vehicles. I can see how having banks of them might fix it but they're usually quite chunky and heavy.

I don't doubt that universal have done their homework but I'm a bit surprised by it.

So I guess that means, if the trucks get backed up, and they're out there long enough that the charge dissipates, A UC Vice pres. will come out to commandeer the vehicle while the minion TM's push him through the attraction. See my above post. Just trying to visualize things....:lol:

Reactions: Mike S
Maybe they will have a back up power bank of more traditional batteries in the vehicles that will be charged over night.

How do the Great Movie Ride vehicles recharge? During load and unload or in the maintenance bay?

I really wish I understood how Track less vehicles worked. Antartica was so cool when I went on it but I for the life of me can not grasp the trackless concept. Seems as though this ride is already a winner becAuse of being trackless.

It's somewhat easy. They are run by serious video games. Do the pacman characters ever hit each other? No. If every pac man character was running a 10,000 pound vehicle at the same time as the game, the vehicles would never run into each other. That is how they run. Each wire in the ground is an address that the computer follows. It is strict software that runs the rules of the game.

Watch this:

Then watch this to see the real deal acting like pacman:

Reactions: anihilnation
I've heard about capacity batteries for years but I've never heard about them actually being used. They quickly charge yes but they also quickly discharge and putting them on a ride that could be 3x as long as the charge time is quite bold. Especially if there is a delay in dispatching vehicles. I can see how having banks of them might fix it but they're usually quite chunky and heavy.

I don't doubt that universal have done their homework but I'm a bit surprised by it.

Maybe they will have a back up power bank of more traditional batteries in the vehicles that will be charged over night.

How do the Great Movie Ride vehicles recharge? During load and unload or in the maintenance bay?

NO!!!!!! Who do you guys think I talk with - Mickey Mouse?

Capacitors is how the Rip Ride Rocket vehicles are powered and recharged to light the lights and play the audio. I assure you that this is how these vehicles are powered as I have been told so by the people working on it, designing it, engineering it.

And yeah, I am a really lucky guy and I know it and I really appreciate their time and knowledge.

NO!!!!!! Who do you guys think I talk with - Mickey Mouse?

Capacitors is how the Rip Ride Rocket vehicles are powered and recharged to light the lights and play the audio. I assure you that this is how these vehicles are powered as I have been told so by the people working on it, designing it, engineering it.

And yeah, I am a really lucky guy and I know it and I really appreciate their time and knowledge.
Teebs, we're just playing with you. :) And we know you don't talk to Mickey, cause he works for the other guys....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.