Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 649 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'd imagine they want everything good by 2025. It's just a matter of when. Sadly, IDK when "when" is.
Hopefully soon, unlike USF, IOA can handle an attraction closure for them to properly address the issue. Probably not anytime this year unfortunately as IOA needs indoor attractions during the summer months when it rains, but possibly later this year... which is unfortunate.

In April/May it'll be a full year of the attraction bypassing the outdoor portion... so what are we waiting on? I'd imagine they want the ride to be in proper working order prior to the attendance boost from Epic.
Technically the ride is in working order? It isn't like the Yeti where the entire point was it lurching and swiping at the car. Kong's focal point aren't the doors, it's the Kong AA. They could refurbish everything except the doors and I think it would be fine for EU's opening. I don't think it's ideal but the average first-time guest isn't likely to be bothered.

Still, and I get there's a priority of things but I hope there is some solid movement in the background for this. It's a terrible idea but if they never get it back running again my next suggestion would be to let the queue run through that instead. lol

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Ahmanet
Correct: It's significantly better than either of the originals.
Significantly better tech but not better overall. It is very much an after thought for this ride because it doesn't do anything other than grunt. For me personally, it was a waste of budget & would've been better as a photo-op like Raptor Encounter.

I'll gladly always take original Kong over this any day

Significantly better tech but not better overall. It is very much an after thought for this ride because it doesn't do anything other than grunt.
To each their own, but I strongly disagree. The articulation of the animatronic and its lifelike appearance are extremely impressive and make the attraction for me (along with the queue).

Correct: It's significantly better than either of the originals.

It's a grumpy looking head and shoulders that's been placed into a corner like an afterthought. Technically, more advanced but does nothing of interest.

The originals were full body on display hanging from a bridge with banana breath with mild interaction with the ride vehicle that served the story.

Skull Island was made during a creatively bankrupt era of screen heavy rides with little to boring stories. Kongfrontation is superior in every way and to make matters worse, it took away an expansion pad from JP.

Technically the ride is in working order? It isn't like the Yeti where the entire point was it lurching and swiping at the car. Kong's focal point aren't the doors, it's the Kong AA. They could refurbish everything except the doors and I think it would be fine for EU's opening. I don't think it's ideal but the average first-time guest isn't likely to be bothered.

Door is supposedly not the issue... it was working fine until they skipped outdoor portion. Everest is a fun coaster that even with a missing special effect, it's still great. Kong relies on its special effects to make the ride unique/interesting.

It's a grumpy looking head and shoulders that's been placed into a corner like an afterthought. Technically, more advanced but does nothing of interest.

The originals were full body on display hanging from a bridge with banana breath with mild interaction with the ride vehicle that served the story.

Skull Island was made during a creatively bankrupt era of screen heavy rides with little to boring stories. Kongfrontation is superior in every way and to make matters worse, it took away an expansion pad from JP.

Damn, Scott... LOL

Door is supposedly not the issue... it was working fine until they skipped outdoor portion. Everest is a fun coaster that even with a missing special effect, it's still great. Kong relies on its special effects to make the ride unique/interesting.
Eh, Sorta 6 of 1 deal. No, the door isn't THE issue, but the issue is happening at the door/entrance.

I will say that I agree that it's time to get around to a refurb (hopefully when they wrap up Popeyes in mid-March), I gotta disagree with the comparison. While both are in B-mode (Yeti may be in C-Mode now?), the Yeti is the crux of the attraction. The open doors, while cool, are designed to be skipped.

Still, and I get there's a priority of things but I hope there is some solid movement in the background for this. It's a terrible idea but if they never get it back running again my next suggestion would be to let the queue run through that instead. lol
I disagree, the Yeti is just one part of the coaster, but the coaster itself is the same length. Honestly as a GP person before ever stepping foot into these boards had no clue it did more or cared it did more. It was and still is a really fun coaster.

The part of Kong that is strange to me and tells me something is wrong is they tell you "I will tell you when to put the glasses on", then you begin moving and right away pass by the outdoor section and are told to put your glasses on. It feels like something is missing. My husband didn't know it should go outside until after the ride and he thought it was odd to put them on so quickly. When I told him why then he understood more. So maybe if this is longterm they should have changed that bit a little.

I disagree, the Yeti is just one part of the coaster, but the coaster itself is the same length. Honestly as a GP person before ever stepping foot into these boards had no clue it did more or cared it did more. It was and still is a really fun coaster.

The part of Kong that is strange to me and tells me something is wrong is they tell you "I will tell you when to put the glasses on", then you begin moving and right away pass by the outdoor section and are told to put your glasses on. It feels like something is missing. My husband didn't know it should go outside until after the ride and he thought it was odd to put them on so quickly. When I told him why then he understood more. So maybe if this is longterm they should have changed that bit a little.
Agree with this…one missing effect is absolutely trumped by entire missing ride scenes. A better comparison would be Everest skipping the entire portion of the ride between the first lift hill and the second.

While both are in B-mode (Yeti may be in C-Mode now?), the Yeti is the crux of the attraction. The open doors, while cool, are designed to be skipped.
It's not just the door opening that makes the scene spectacular, it's the entire approach, fire and awe of a massive vehicle going outdoor before venturing in to a massive facade. Everest doesn't skip the entire Yeti coaster segment and honestly the disco lighting does a solid job at making it appear like its moving.

Imagine skipping the city flyover on E.T., that's a more apt comparison.

It's not just the door opening that makes the scene spectacular, it's the entire approach, fire and awe of a massive vehicle going outdoor before venturing in to a massive facade. Everest doesn't skip the entire Yeti coaster segment and honestly the disco lighting does a solid job at making it appear like its moving.

Imagine skipping the city flyover on E.T., that's a more apt comparison.

I guess it all depends on what your preference is and what you're looking to get out of the ride. I still think Kong's meat and potatoes are there, but Everest (and speaking as someone who has seen A-mode) doesn't hit the same due to the Yeti's issues.

Reactions: amar831 and GA-MBIT
That outdoor sequence sets up the entire ride. And the ambiance and kinetic energy it brings is irreplaceable. Kong's one of my fav attractions, but it significantly is lessened when the outdoor section is skipped, as they often did early mornings even before the breakdown. Generally, if I didn't see the trams moving outdoors, I would skip the attraction. Crazy they're taking so long to fix this. I could understand a couple months, but not this long for a major part of the attraction.