Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 654 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And I'm going to keep saying it: if Universal's internal surveys are telling them that people don't like 3D*, the solution isn't to remove 3D from the rides designed to utilize it. The solution is to build more dark rides that aren't screen-heavy to increase the variety.

*I think what that really means is people are sensing a preponderance of screen-based rides, not specifically 3D.
I agree with you. I was gonna make a joke that they’re really taking “no 3D” literally. Plus, it seems cheap as hell.

Well, at least it's a temporary move at the moment. I guess we'll see what happens March 10th.

In the meantime, let's keep the discussion focused on this change and Kong instead of bringing up EVERY SINGLE OTHER CHANGE. It's been exhaustively discussed at this point.

I'm guessing this particular Kong change is coming from one of those 'Efficiency Committees' that have been recently set up, per what an insider posted a few months back. Those type of committees, in most companies, usually follow, and implement, cost savings analysis plans. Unfortunately, those plans aren't usually employee or customer satisfaction oriented. And they can play with the statistics whichever way makes them look good. Thats what this glasses change might be sourced from. ....I'm just hoping they don't cook the surveys/question phrasing to get a pre determined outcome.

I swear if Spiderman is the next ride to remove the glasses…ugh.
I think Universal has to know it would be essentially impossible to run the ride in 2D and not totally destroy it, given all of the interactions that are meant to be happening on the front of the ride vehicle. You need the 3D to sell that the characters are literally on your SCOOP.
Universal has confirmed on twitter that this 2D test will last until March 9th.
Well, at least it's a temporary move at the moment. I guess we'll see what happens March 10th.
I believe you both, but would it be possible to see where they announced this as a test?

I think Universal has to know it would be essentially impossible to run the ride in 2D and not totally destroy it, given all of the interactions that are meant to be happening on the front of the ride vehicle. You need the 3D to sell that the characters are literally on your SCOOP.

I believe you both, but would it be possible to see where they announced this as a test?
1000003254.jpg
Not my pic but someone DM'd them asking about it. No official announcement yet.

Article time.

Universal Orlando has temporarily removed 3D from their Skull Island: Reign of Kong attraction in Islands of Adventure for "2D Testing".

In the meantime, let's keep the discussion focused on this change and Kong instead of bringing up EVERY SINGLE OTHER CHANGE. It's been exhaustively discussed at this point.
Is there a thread to discuss recent patterns and trends at the resort? Discussing each in isolation doesn't necessarily give an accurate picture of what's happening.

Reactions: Freak and Mad Dog
Don't shoot the messenger, but I have a few IoA ride ops friends and they've talked to me in the past about how the cleaning machine for the Kong 3D glasses breaks down fairly often, and they have repeatedly had to drive a truck, full of dirty glasses, down to Spider-Man to actually clean them. Maybe that has something to do with the change as well.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I have a few IoA ride ops friends and they've talked to me in the past about how the cleaning machine for the Kong 3D glasses breaks down fairly often, and they have repeatedly had to drive a truck, full of dirty glasses, down to Spider-Man to actually clean them. Maybe that has something to do with the change as well.
I'm sure that would be a pain.

That's still not an acceptable justification.

Is there a thread to discuss recent patterns and trends at the resort? Discussing each in isolation doesn't necessarily give an accurate picture of what's happening.

No. There is no need.

I'm sure that would be a pain.

That's still not an acceptable justification.

Unless the 3D downtime is them fixing/replacing it?

Unless the 3D downtime is them fixing/replacing it?
I meant a justification for removing the 3D entirely.

Obviously if something is being addressed during this "test," then that's good. I don't know why they would present it as a "test" in that case, though. They could just say that they're performing some maintenance which requires the absence of the glasses for a period of time.

Reactions: Mad Dog

SPIDER-MAN:
Be careful. Nice shades.

I’d argue this and f&f don’t need 3D where as spider-man and transformers it’s essential. I don’t think the average guest is gonna skip this because it’s not 3D. The only good part is the last 20 seconds either way.

“Be careful. Nice SCOOP.”

“What else is cool in AFLYINGTHEATER? Oh I know, t-shirt canon!”
Better than a long awkward pause lol The few times I go on Minion Mayhem that long pauses really annoys me knowing they cut the one thing that actually makes the ride okay.

“Please move all the way down the row…………………..make room for everyone around you…………..please remain seated.”