Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SotMK Closing

Sep 12, 2019
Disney discontinuing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.

Seems like an odd choice to me. Thought it was still a rather popular game and was something you could do without waiting in line.

Disney discontinuing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.

Seems like an odd choice to me. Thought it was still a rather popular game and was something you could do without waiting in line.
It's got a loyal following, but not a ton of people actually play it and in a time where they are trying to cut the budget, cutting the staffing for SotMK and turning the game off will help. It was run as if it was an attraction.

SotMK always seemed like a total dud to me. The concept was to pull people out of rides and into corners of the park for "activities" but it never clicked for the GP. Hell *I've* never done it.

SotMK always seemed like a total dud to me. The concept was to pull people out of rides and into corners of the park for "activities" but it never clicked for the GP. Hell *I've* never done it.
It was actually made because they knew FP+ was going to make lines longer (which means more people in the walkways), so this was supposed to be something to do while waiting for your fast pass.

It was actually made because they knew FP+ was going to make lines longer (which means more people in the walkways), so this was supposed to be something to do while waiting for your fast pass.

An when I went to the parks last month, I noticed there was now a unexpected issue here and there due to the covid procedures, the extended queue lines. When I was waiting in line for Philharmagic, the extended queue went to the left of the entrance and curled towards the castle...and essentially blocked access to the SotMK portal nearby.

Having people go to various nooks and crannies in the park doesn't work too well when the queues are sent into those spaces.

The reality is it just wasn't very fun to play. The entire first stage of the game is "hold up any card and automatically win." Sure, you can unlock harder difficulties, but you have to grind every level in the first round before getting there - and it's not like something that's really advertised. Even then, the rules aren't really explained, and a Demon Souls-like touch-and-go "figure it out yourself" gameplay style isn't conducive to a theme park.

I only played it once....if you can even call it that. My wife and I picked up a pack years ago, and I think we went to 2 or 3 screens. And that was it. Just didn’t feel like wasting time on the park doing it. Even last year where we were first time AP and visited like 7 times that year I never thought to bring my deck of cards to play.

I only played it once....if you can even call it that. My wife and I picked up a pack years ago, and I think we went to 2 or 3 screens. And that was it. Just didn’t feel like wasting time on the park doing it. Even last year where we were first time AP and visited like 7 times that year I never thought to bring my deck of cards to play.
The Pirates game in Adventureland is a much better implementation of this idea. Short adventures (20 mins max) where you can interact with the environment, and you even get to keep a map as a keepsake.

The Pirates game in Adventureland is a much better implementation of this idea. Short adventures (20 mins max) where you can interact with the environment, and you even get to keep a map as a keepsake.
That game is gone now, too. But yeah, that game I actually had a bit of fun with.

That game is gone now, too. But yeah, that game I actually had a bit of fun with.
Oh really! I remember having a lot of fun with that game. That's actually pretty disappointing. At least I now have some unique keepsakes as those maps are now gone.

Not to compare, but it seems like the interactive elements in SNW will be a much better implementation.

Heck even the interactive wand stuff is more interesting

The free Fastpass for finding two of the treasures definitely made it worth it. You could knock out two of them within 25 minutes and save good time from waiting at Pirates’ standby.