Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading | Page 62 | Inside Universal Forums

Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Most of the effects have been fantastic lately. Only issues are the heat effect with Doc Ock (can only really feel it in the back row) and the second water effect has been pretty weak. Really great overall though, glad they've been keeping most of the effects in top shape.

Not sure when they increased the amount of fog after you get hit with the levitation ray, but it makes the effect 10x more effective. I even heard a few gasp last time I rode
I've also noticed the green lighting in the SCOOP when you get hit, it's also a really cool detail!

And I've been some days in the past few months where the SCOOPs are all noticably damp when you first sit down because of how intense the first Hydroman effect is, especially when I arrive later in the day after the ride vehicles have run through countless times haha!

I love what Spielberg has to say towards the end of that clip.

"This was the one ride, on paper, that none of us thought could be done. We thought the design group was about five years ahead of their time. And they delivered this, surprised all of us."

In a lot of ways, Spider-Man still feels ahead of its time, and still right at the cutting edge. It's been often imitated (by Universal themselves, and others), but nothing has yet surpassed it. For me, anyway.

It's possibly the most perfect theme park attraction of all time. The merging of physical and practical sets, the wonderfully thrilling but not intense movement profile, the use of lighting, heat, water, vibrations, and live pyro to make the experience feel really tactile and alive, but not corny and forced in a Shrek 4-D kinda way. The perfect encapsulation of the IP and characters in a bite sized portion that feels absolutely complete as a story and experience. The really wonderful HD redo of the visuals, and the incredible soundtrack and Voice Acting performances that tie it all together. Even the comic book theming in the queue with the coloring making the office feel like you were walking through an actual panel of a comic, and the multiple well-animated and funny saturday morning cartoon pre-show videos throughout.

Other rides may have more. More budget, more scenes, more drops, thrills, animatronics, etc. We've even got other Spider-Man dark rides now to compare it to. But I don't know of many others that utilize those qualities in such an incredibly effective way as Spider-Man at IoA. How cool that we've been able to experience this for so long.

They’re the same as the ones from Japan, but I believe many are actually new, it just took us this long to upgrade. New vehicles have real screens on the front is how to tell the difference. But they run smoother and have slightly better everything.
I thought I noticed some new cars on it the last month or so. Some of the cars looked brand new as they were noticeably shinier and less rashed up than some of the cars.

The only thing I didn't like about the ones I think were new was that the ride audio was a lot lower than on the older cars that are still in use. Not sure if that has anything to do with the quality of the new speakers or it could even be as simple as them needing to adjust the volume on the sound. I didn't notice the screen on the dash being real though. I'll have to look for that this weekend.

Last edited: