Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Why don't you like him? He's directed some good stuff and I'm excited he's directing this.

I don't particularly love anything he's done. Star Trek was fun enough, but I have no desire to have Trek and Wars both have the same creative force behind them. Add to that that I've either disliked or actively hated everything Ardnt's done, and I have low hopes for Star Wars.

I don't particularly love anything he's done. Star Trek was fun enough, but I have no desire to have Trek and Wars both have the same creative force behind them. Add to that that I've either disliked or actively hated everything Ardnt's done, and I have low hopes for Star Wars.

:stunned: Even Toy Story 3?

I've gone over this so many times. Probably in this thread.:lol:

Overly and unnecessarily melodramatic, not funny in the slightest, and boring. The only Pixar film I saw in theaters and wanted to walk out of.

That's the first time I've heard that from ANYONE. IMO Toy Story 3 is in the top 5 Pixar films.

Ugh. Can't wait for all the lens flares.

Such a predictable and boring choice.

Your wish is my command..new Star Wars logo :lol:
starwarslensflarelogo.jpg

Possible casting news/rumor

Nordling here.

So now that we have a done deal on the choice of director for STAR WARS Episode VII, the collective geekthink can now start wondering just what in the hell the new trilogy will be about. Michael Arndt’s screenplay must be as tightly locked up as the nuclear codes at this point, so speculation is all we can do.

We all know - or at least, we've been told by some sources - that the new trilogy involves the original characters in some way, along with new characters. Maybe we’ll even see some characters from the Prequels show up in some fashion. What we don’t know is how it all ties together. But here’s an interesting bit of information, brought to us by our friends at Slashfilm…

Matthew Vaughn was definitely in discussions with Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm about directing. That much we know. What’s interesting is that according to sources Vaughn may have had the idea of Chloë Grace Moretz in the lead role. Does this mean that the main hero of Arndt’s script is a woman? Or is this something that Vaughn came up with on his own?

We can’t be sure, but I think that it would be a little on the far side to imagine that Vaughn would have been able to dictate story terms to Lucasfilm. Then again, he’s not the director now either, and we don’t know how close it came down to it (although Vaughn’s name was making the rounds ever since Episode VII was announced). Making the main lead a heroine would be a great way to bring a bunch more people into the fold, and frankly, it’s probably long overdue for STAR WARS. The idea of a female lead for Episode VII should be exciting news. STAR WARS shouldn't just be a boy's club.

So… what’s next? Casting, obviously. Bringing back any actors and actresses interested in returning. Remember, Harrison Ford's worked with J. J. Abrams before, with REGARDING HENRY (although Abrams was not the director, he wrote the script). Perhaps Abrams was key in getting Ford's involvement (although we're in pure fan speculation on that). Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher have, by accounts, already been approached. It would be nice to get Billy Dee Williams in on this too.

And since it’s J. J. Abrams, I think the real Star War will be between him and the marketing department, as Abrams fights to keep his movie as secret as possible for as long as possible, while marketing will want to put everything out there in a toy explosion. We’ll keep you up to date here at Ain’t It Cool.

Nordling, out.

It worries me that Lucasfilm and Disney would talk to someone like Matthew Vaughn and balk at any story input he had, like making the main character a girl. Now that we know Abrams got the gig, I sincerely hope they just let him do his thing. Lucas is out of the picture, he should get little input, Disney should sit back and count their money. I'm not a big Abrams fan but you hired the guy, let him tell the story he wants. And for God's sake, let the series mature a little bit.

With the resounding amount of complete disdain that a ton of people have towards the prequels, I at least hope the creative minds have recognized those faults and will let the team behind the new movie do what they want to do. What scares me is if they craft characters and locations that are engineered just to sell merchandise. It will obviously happen, but the movie needs to be an organic process, not going down a checklist of things the marketing department wants in the film.

With the resounding amount of complete disdain that a ton of people have towards the prequels, I at least hope the creative minds have recognized those faults and will let the team behind the new movie do what they want to do. What scares me is if they craft characters and locations that are engineered just to sell merchandise. It will obviously happen, but the movie needs to be an organic process, not going down a checklist of things the marketing department wants in the film.

At the very least, I can't imagine Abrams allowing any sort of Jar-Jar in his films. Maybe a polar bear, but not a Jar-Jar. And that's a very good thing.

At the very least, I can't imagine Abrams allowing any sort of Jar-Jar in his films. Maybe a polar bear, but not a Jar-Jar. And that's a very good thing.

What was that stupid thing they had with Scotty?

I agree they need to be more mature, ala ESB, in their direction with these. The Clone Wars is pretty mature for a cartoon, with the ocasional gaff, but over alll the art direction and tone are really good.

There's a difference between just a tiny bit of comic relief versus the comic relief being in practically every damn scene of a dramatic film.

Star Trek wasn't bad. If it's like that or Super 8 then Episode VII should turn out well. Hell, even MI:3 wasn't terrible (but after MI:2 it's hard to get any worse.)

One of IGN's editors made a good point though regarding J.J. Abrams. The guy has done some good original work here and there but regardless if Star Wars Episode VII is good or not, Abrams has suddenly established the reputation of being a director who can only regurgitate established franchises. He did the Spielberg thing with Super 8, he rebooted Star Trek, Cloverfield was a Godzilla homage, he did MI3, and now Star Wars. Has he an original concept in his mind somewhere?