Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser | Page 81 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
mr-burns-simpsons.gif

I also think Disney's own inflated costs bit them in the ass here IMHO but I'll wait for @HandsomePete's thoughts on that.
I’m too busy laughing to have coherent thoughts but I’ll try.

A highly immersive hotel is 100% doable but Joe is spot on that inflated costs across the board ended up being the death of this. It cost over $200M. That bought a hotel that was so value engineered that it looked nothing like the concept art that was used to justify building it. The actual cost of the building was less than $100M - that means WDI set nine figures worth of money on fire for “story” and the tech infrastructure to run the choose your own adventure app. But then… the hotel was so value engineered that the story had to carry the experience, but a purple-faced captain doesn’t exactly scream Star Wars. Basically the Star Wars-iest part of the whole thing was that you got to pal around with Chewie.

Universal could totally pull off a HP hotel - partially because they are more sensible with build costs but they now have an example of what *not* to do. Spend your money on the actual building, don’t depend on an equity performer storyline, just make it highly themed with interactivity and not some pie in the sky “live your own adventure” thing.

A highly immersive hotel is 100% doable but Joe is spot on that inflated costs across the board ended up being the death of this. It cost over $200M. That bought a hotel that was so value engineered that it looked nothing like the concept art that was used to justify building it. The actual cost of the building was less than $100M - that means WDI set nine figures worth of money on fire for “story” and the tech infrastructure to run the choose your own adventure app. But then… the hotel was so value engineered that the story had to carry the experience, but a purple-faced captain doesn’t exactly scream Star Wars. Basically the Star Wars-iest part of the whole thing was that you got to pal around with Chewie.

This hits the nail on the head, not just with this project but with several others.

The easiest solution is to tear down the back building with the cabins and make a tower with Star Wars themed rooms. Add in a pool. Front building with lobby, store, restaurant, and interactive play areas stay. You can still run the dinner show. Staff the interactive areas the same way to they do cruises/other hotels.

I dunno what you do about the bus loop, but they can figure out transport. Maybe run the shuttle more frequently.

The easiest solution is to tear down the back building with the cabins and make a tower with Star Wars themed rooms. Add in a pool. Front building with lobby, store, restaurant, and interactive play areas stay. You can still run the dinner show. Staff the interactive areas the same way to they do cruises/other hotels.

I dunno what you do about the bus loop, but they can figure out transport. Maybe run the shuttle more frequently.

I think this probably poisoned the well for any Star Wars hotel. Casual guests will think the new experience is still the overpriced weird thing it used to be, fans who shelled out the $$ for this and loved it will be disappointed the new thing not as immersive.

The only way you salvage this is as a 1-day experience/involved dinner theater. But even then, probably more cost-effective to tear it down, build another Hilton-like DVC or office space or something.

I think this probably poisoned the well for any Star Wars hotel. Casual guests will think the new experience is still the overpriced weird thing it used to be, fans who shelled out the $$ for this and loved it will be disappointed the new thing not as immersive.

The only way you salvage this is as a 1-day experience/involved dinner theater. But even then, probably more cost-effective to tear it down, build another Hilton-like DVC or office space or something.
A mixed regular hotel & DVC with its own private entrance to the park just seems like it would be a no brainer as far as profitability options go. And it’d be something I expect modern Disney to do anyway since they do this so much.

This hits the nail on the head, not just with this project but with several others.
This is so true - it's not just:
Sublight-Lounge.jpeg
versus
disney-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-265.jpg
... it's

HarmonioUS_Full_39828.jpg
versus
E7VXy6sXEAEwDRH.jpg:large
or

203390675_158174789677579_3974154582062315940_n-1024x1024.jpg
versus
IMG_1321-scaled.jpg

It's hit a point where other than things like coasters that go zoom I don't know if they can count on WDI anymore. I say "they" because I have a slight bit of understanding for the people who signed off on it because they're perfectly entitled to say the final product isn't what I signed off on.

As for what they'll do with it - they could fill the dining room three times every night with park guests but no idea if they'd bother with that given they'd need to run buses instead of the box truck spaceship to handle the ingress and egress. I doubt they'll bulldoze it because it's generally hidden and they'd have to take the write off and while we know it's there, if you painted it go away green the GP would be none the wiser.

It's hit a point where other than things like coasters that go zoom I don't know if they can count on WDI anymore. I say "they" because I have a slight bit of understanding for the people who signed off on it because they're perfectly entitled to say the final product isn't what I signed off on.

This reminds me of a story. When developing RoL they budgeted for one show then completely went over budget and had to trim it back (probably some engineering changes due to WoC damage from the earth quake and general WDI tomfoolery). Staggs sat there and said “this is not the show I asked for”. Then they had to beg for more money.

This reminds me of a story. When developing RoL they budgeted for one show then completely went over budget and had to trim it back (probably some engineering changes due to WoC damage from the earth quake and general WDI tomfoolery). Staggs sat there and said “this is not the show I asked for”. Then they had to beg for more money.
That sounds like WDI alright.

So the building is a TERRIBLE hotel with small rooms, no windows, no pool. No future as a hotel.

So do they turn this into Imagineering offices to replace part of what was going to Lake Nona?
While I dont think they will remodel the rooms

I think if they redo and area and have an inside pool with a bar added and prices were reasonable I think it can still work as a hotel

I'd stay there if it wasn't too much for the easy access to the park and staying in a Star Wars themed hotel

Its the price of thousands a night that killed it. If it become a new Premium hotel with rooms priced more competitively I think it will do well.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
It's sad that all these cast members may lose their jobs - but I mean.. did Disney REALLY think it would last at those prices?

Good news - Star Cruiser CMs have a "home" resort that isn't the SC for breaks. The only CMs I'm worried about are the actors.

So talking to some people and things sound rougher than leading on. Sounds like lots of Cast Members were leaving, the place was not well run, then lump on the rest of the mess. Sold-out cruises only hold the narrative together for so long. Disney was NOT ready to run something like this. AT ALL.

Good news - Star Cruiser CMs have a "home" resort that isn't the SC for breaks. The only CMs I'm worried about are the actors.

So talking to some people and things sound rougher than leading on. Sounds like lots of Cast Members were leaving, the place was not well run, then lump on the rest of the mess. Sold-out cruises only hold the narrative together for so long. Disney was NOT ready to run something like this. AT ALL.

I had a feeling this wasn't sustainable when it became clear that there was no system in place to help the actors track who they had developed relationships with and what progress they had made in various quests/activities. That alone is shockingly burdensome for any performer, even at the equity level.

This is so true - it's not just:
Sublight-Lounge.jpeg
versus
disney-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-265.jpg
... it's

HarmonioUS_Full_39828.jpg
versus
E7VXy6sXEAEwDRH.jpg:large
or

203390675_158174789677579_3974154582062315940_n-1024x1024.jpg
versus
IMG_1321-scaled.jpg

As for what they'll do with it - they could fill the dining room three times every night with park guests but no idea if they'd bother with that given they'd need to run buses instead of the box truck spaceship to handle the ingress and egress. I doubt they'll bulldoze it because it's generally hidden and they'd have to take the write off and while we know it's there, if you painted it go away green the GP would be none the wiser.

Very well said, another "great-but-not-so-great" example is what happened with the Mary Poppins project. What should have been a very simple addition like a carousel ended up being presented as an indoor teacup ride with multiple pre shows and a vastly overblown budget, all for something that never got built.

I had a feeling this wasn't sustainable when it became clear that there was no system in place to help the actors track who they had developed relationships with and what progress they had made in various quests/activities. That alone is shockingly burdensome for any performer, even at the equity level.

But Disney somehow spent tons of money on a lightsaber that you see for five seconds!