Star Wars Launch Bay | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars Launch Bay

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ahh. Okay. Explains why so many middle aged people are stoked for this. Sounds like todays Harry Potter movement?
I look forward to the attractions though much like Potter. Never too late to gain a fan.
It's similar to Potter in theory, yes. The entirety of the series was written as original and then made into film as an 8-movie franchise.

I think as far as the impact it had on film though, the best modern comparison is Avatar. James Cameron literally changed the entire film industry with the release of Avatar, which is pretty much what Star Wars did way back in the day.

The original, Original Trilogy was taught in several of my college courses as the perfect example of story telling in a movie. It also was the beginning of ILM, which pretty much created the special effects and CGI industry.

I'm not die-hard Star Wars in any sense but there is a big level of respect that I have for what it is and has accomplished.

To fully understand it.... you would need to travel back to 1977 and be a kid somewhere between the age of 8 to 15. You would have to give up the internet and cell phones and there would only be 3 channels on TV. You would have to figure out what you wanted for Christmas by looking in the SEARS Wish book. It would need to be a Friday night and after eating pizza for dinner, your parents decide to take you and your friends to the movie theater. Then you'd sit for 2 hours with your jaw to the floor and realize you just saw the future.

Also, it can't be said really anymore that Disney has simply closed stuff without replacement.

Idol = Frozen Sing-a-long
Animation = Launch Bay
Sparrow = Mickey Mouse M&G (pulling higher hourly capacity)
Sunset Showcase (Newly built) = Club Disney/Club Villain
AFI Showcase (Backlot gift shop/prop room) = Watto's Grotto
SS1 = Third TS Track (currently being built)

Plus, GMR and ST2.0 have both seen upgrades over the last year. The only thing that has closed and yet to see anything done with it is the actual Backlot Tour itself. So while the park may not be Disney's best representation by a long shot, I think we all make it out to be much worse than it actually is.
None of those are new attractions!!!! They are cheap meet n greets, store overlays, or a temporary show moved from one place to another.

None of those are new attractions!!!! They are cheap meet n greets, store overlays, or a temporary show moved from one place to another.
:) I could not agree with you more... Attraction is a word anyone can manipulate to fit their own opinion but I go by Orlando's theme park standards and a shop or M&G are just side dishes to a theme park but if you are going by National Parks/Zoo Standards then yes, a shop or M&G with Patsy the Panda are major upgrades to a park that does not offer anything greater than that.

You just described two different kinds of attractions and a common practice that is used to get people to buy more stuff.
and that's called greed. A word many people underestimate, and a word Walter E. Disney was against... but the new Corporation seems to be just fine with it. Common practice does not make it right

I went last Thursday and it is cool, but keep in mind I am a huge Star Wars fan, so I would get excited with anything Star Wars, BUT!!! putting my reality goggles on, I don't consider this more of an attraction than Animation was... It is technically a gallery with some props and models "and they did a great job with it, well themed rooms". The extras would be M&G (when it rains it pours), there's a cool Jawa walking around the Cantina themed room (Great photo op), and the 10mins movie which it's optional (you can line up for just the gallery and by pass the movie queue), but nothing major... just people involved in the making of Ep. VII talking about their experience with the making of... and what Star Wars meant to them from childhood till now. Nothing much about the movie itself and after this Friday when the movie releases, there would not be much point to this movie. and that's about it!! Oh yeah! and just like Animation, It serves as a collector's store. You can actually buy a full Stormtrooper replica suit for about $9,000.00 USD. So! is it cool? Yeah! is it something I would do more than 3 times? No, and I still think this would've been an amazing exit to a major SW ride, not a stand alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder what they have planned for this spot after the land opens. I imagine there wouldn't be much need for it then.

Wonder what they have planned for this spot after the land opens. I imagine there wouldn't be much need for it then.
I have a feeling all of animation courtyard is going to get bulldozed eventually. The area doesn't fit in with the way DHS 2.0 is going and it's also a dead end. DHS needs less dead ends and more continuous walking paths.

I have a feeling all of animation courtyard is going to get bulldozed eventually. The area doesn't fit in with the way DHS 2.0 is going and it's also a dead end. DHS needs less dead ends and more continuous walking paths.
Agreed. Actually, I can see most of the buildings staying. All they really need to do is bulldoze one building so that it continues on and connects to Sunset Boulevard.

To fully understand it.... you would need to travel back to 1977 and be a kid somewhere between the age of 8 to 15. You would have to give up the internet and cell phones and there would only be 3 channels on TV. You would have to figure out what you wanted for Christmas by looking in the SEARS Wish book. It would need to be a Friday night and after eating pizza for dinner, your parents decide to take you and your friends to the movie theater. Then you'd sit for 2 hours with your jaw to the floor and realize you just saw the future.
I was 13. We had 4 channels (ABC, NBC, CBS (most of the time) , and PBS). The TV didn't have a remote and we didn't have a microwave. A basic calculator cost $140. Computers were something in movies and at NASA. Before the movie we went to Burger Chef to get the free Star Wars poster.

I have never heard of Burger Chef before. Did they become something else?
In 1968, Burger Chef was the 2nd largest national burger chain behind McDonalds. They were owned by General Foods. They sold Burger Chef to Hardee's, who have abandoned the brand name.

In the early '70s they introduced the Funmeal nine years before McDonalds introduced the Happy Meal.

You obviously didn't watch the final season of Mad Men :D

Burger Chef was really good. Kind of the best of McDonalds and Burger King in one place.

Really,
I want a Rey meet and greet. And then the "grab a beer with Poe" meet and greet. ;)
Really, they should have a meet-and-greet with Kylo, Rey, Finn, Poe and BB-8 (seperate ones for each character). Cover all their bases, make everyone happy. I know I'd visit each character at least once.