Studio Tour | Page 62 | Inside Universal Forums

Studio Tour

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Some news about the 60th anniversary:
The line in red is where a new asphalt concrete road is proposed to go, the area I carefully marked in turquoise is going to undergo some grading. Presumably this will be a new walking path and serves as our first real concrete evidence that the anniversary celebration may include a hop-off/hop-on point halfway through the tour!!
This is in addition to the three WotW houses and Psycho house getting new footings which I'm guessing is part of the general refurb they're doing to the backlot.

No need to thank me for the beautiful artistic depiction
View attachment 20429

When are we thinking this would be activated?

Some news about the 60th anniversary:
The line in red is where a new asphalt concrete road is proposed to go, the area I carefully marked in turquoise is going to undergo some grading. Presumably this will be a new walking path and serves as our first real concrete evidence that the anniversary celebration may include a hop-off/hop-on point halfway through the tour!!
This is in addition to the three WotW houses and Psycho house getting new footings which I'm guessing is part of the general refurb they're doing to the backlot.

No need to thank me for the beautiful artistic depiction
View attachment 20429

I'd have to assume (hope?) it'd kind of work like Terror Tram where whoever makes it to whatever tram is waiting hops on and leaves, because I can't imagine the headache of having to wait for everyone you got off the tram with to make it to the end and get on the same exact tram before it can get going.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Oh wow! I recall back in the 70’s or 80’s they had a break area where you could go to use the restroom, but snacks, and check out the photo ops. If they were wise, they would build a restroom along the path. You know there will be some people that will need to be relieved after that long trip lol
Probably just portable restrooms (honey wagons) like they had for guest use in the metro sets. I’ve heard different things about where the drop off zones would be. If the one I’ve heard actually happens, it would be an amazing experience. And the area would be transformed into a recreation of an old set that was there for a film series.

(Trying to be vague lol)

They paid too much for that plane to ever leave lol

I actually think it would cost more for them to get rid of it!
Technically, Dreamworks/Paramount paid for it since WOTW was their production, but you’re right about the cost to get rid of it.

Fingers crossed something Oppenheimer related shows up on the tour this year.

I'm always surprised that this keeps coming up as a suggestion in this thread when it's already been pointed out several times that trying to turn Oppenheimer into a theme park experience is just in incredibly poor taste. A fictional suburb with a downed plane from WotW in it works as an experience because it's fiction. Trying to bring literally anything from a movie about something that cost real human lives is just... wrong. Some things just aren't meant for theme parks.

I'm always surprised that this keeps coming up as a suggestion in this thread when it's already been pointed out several times that trying to turn Oppenheimer into a theme park experience is just in incredibly poor taste. A fictional suburb with a downed plane from WotW in it works as an experience because it's fiction. Trying to bring literally anything from a movie about something that cost real human lives is just... wrong. Some things just aren't meant for theme parks.
Agreed. Let’s stay away from discussing Oppenheimer on the tour, again. That convo gets bad. I’d like for a return of the academy awards montage they used to do on the tour, with Oppenheimer included if it does win some Oscars. A montage is in a different light, Schindler’s and All Quiet on the Western Front were prominently featured on them. Let’s hope for something like that rather than an attraction about some “a little too serious for a family theme park” attraction or addition.

Thanks y’all!

I'd bring up a dumb thought but it feels like the kind of thing that could make sense--I wonder if Seth McFarlane's new deal with NBCUniversal/Peacock; could give them an angle to revamp the Studio Tour with him as a host.

He has the charm and knowledge that feels right, and with him based in LA; it could lead to some real fun to be had with skits and bits of comedy that could involve him (and perhaps even Ted if they'd want to border that line in the sand).

I saw Ted got pretty good amount of people watching it, along with Ted using a bunch of the backlot for scenes, at least in episode one they used a bunch of locations on the tram tour

Agreed. Let’s stay away from discussing Oppenheimer on the tour, again. That convo gets bad. I’d like for a return of the academy awards montage they used to do on the tour, with Oppenheimer included if it does win some Oscars. A montage is in a different light, Schindler’s and All Quiet on the Western Front were prominently featured on them. Let’s hope for something like that rather than an attraction about some “a little too serious for a family theme park” attraction or addition.

Thanks y’all!
Yeah, to clarify this was more along the lines of what I was thinking. I was not suggesting a full experience be built around the film, but given it's obviously part of the company's history now, some sort of acknowledgement or prop would be cool to see (like a car added to the rotating display).

Happy to drop the convo.

Yeah, to clarify this was more along the lines of what I was thinking. I was not suggesting a full experience be built around the film, but given it's obviously part of the company's history now, some sort of acknowledgement or prop would be cool to see (like a car added to the rotating display).

Happy to drop the convo.
All good for me if that’s what you meant. Thank you for clarifying. A bit ago there was a conversation about replacing earthquake with Oppenheimer that wasn’t in great taste so I just wanted to nip it in the bud before we got back there.

On that note, I do agree with you. Oppenheimer is a film Universal should be proud of and should try to insert certain things, like how they used practical effects in the film, on the tour. In an educating way, talking about the filmmaking, I think that should definitely make Oppenheimer worthy of being a part of the tour, no doubt. We’ve had Schindler’s and All Quiet and some other heavy movies be featured in the parks to showcase behind the scenes aspects before and I think something like that would be welcome on a tour that (to me) has turned into a name dropping experience rather than a learning one. And this is coming from a guy who watches the tram passes on their lunch breaks when filming and wants to yell to the tourists “don’t you want to learn more about what we do?!”

Feel free to keep the convo going in that direction. I admit I was just trying to stop a more controversial topic from popping up!

Just throwing my two cents in:

Oppenheimer is weird because I actually wouldn't mind a theme park attraction to "challenge" it's audience (this is not me implying I want an Oppenheimer experience). But with the current climate of theme park culture for like the past 30 years, yeah that would NOT work. Theme parks are still an ultimate means of escapism (unlike other entertainment mediums). The only theme park (that I can think of) that reaches a semblance of heavy themes is Animal Kingdom (conservation).

They'll throw like a car prop from Oppenheimer on the Tour I'd imagine. Movie was a huge success but they can't really do anything with it because that'd be unethical.

Anyway, I wonder when they'll announce the big changes coming to the Tour. By like Memorial Day?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico and Michael S
The World-Famous Studio Tour will celebrate its diamond 60th Anniversary and Universal Studios Hollywood will be adding "exciting entertainment" - however, more information about those additions will be shared at a later time.