Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 163 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
2 more full days left folks!

Do we think anybody has filmed a good full POV ready to be posted on the 4th? I know TDR has videos already edited and lined up to post on "opening day", but I believe they only go over food and merch offerings in the land.. I could be wrong but he doesn't ever do POV videos I don't think..

I'm also hoping we get different items to throw in different scenes. Bob-ombs would be awesome... and Fire Flowers would be so much fun.. maybe even some squid ink for that finale
I hope we do at least. I'm sure several people have filmed the ride already but (at least some people) are waiting until the actual opening day.

I think other items will be neat! It would definitely give the game more variety. But again all I've heard so far are Shells.

Some more info on MK from the Reddit AMAs:

Q: Are there any secret targets in Mario Kart, and are there physical targets in the ride? Also, is that one large rotating set-piece that they've patented a while ago in the ride?

A: As far as I could tell, they are no physical targets, everything is in the AR. While it's probable there is some kind of secret or Easter egg in the ride, I didn't find any. As for the large rotating set-piece, I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. Could you maybe send a photo or point out where it is in a video? I'm sorry, I just don't remember.

Q: Are there any animatronics at all on Mario Kart?

A: Specifically animatronics, no, I don't remember any. They're all either AR or some kind of screen.

Q: So how good does the AR look on the ride? I have VR at home but I've never tried AR I'm curious if it has the same sort of 3D effect? Also do the cast members have to attach them to the cap for you? I could see how that could be a bit hard for guests to do. Also really surprised with what you're saying about physical props and stuff, sounds really cool overall. How fast does it feel?

A: I think the AR looks really cool, and the 3D effect is pretty good to me. It's kind of hard to explain, but the leaked video gives you a good idea. You would have to ride it yourself in order to decide whether or not it is 3D enough for you. The cast members hand out the caps, but they do not put it on for you. There is a waiting room you get to see how the ride works, and that is where you're given time to put it on and fit in on right yourself. The ride itself is not very fast, but it's not really meant to be. The focus is on the AR and playing the game, not being a faster paced ride. The speed is fast enough to give a sense of constant movement, but it is slow enough to get a somewhat good look at your surroundings I would say.

Q: How fast is Mario Kart / do they add any effects to increase the sensation of speed? How accurate is the AR? When you were looking at the goggles, was there any indication of how it is able to track your head location?

A: The ride itself is not really all that fast from what I remember, but that pace is somewhat fast. You will probably be caught up in the AR and playing the game that you won't really notice how fast or slow the ride is. The AR is really accurate when I rode. Wherever I looked it showed the proper things in the right area and in real time. How it tracks my head, I'm not too sure. I think maybe some kind of sensors in each area?

Q: My biggest worry is that, since they will rely on screens so much, that the Mario Kart ride is less thrill and more Kong Skull Island. What was your experience like?

A: You are right, it does rely on the AR quite a bit. However, it does have more movement than something like Kong Skull Island. And instead of just "look at the screens", you are literally playing a video game, which I think makes up for it.

Here are the links to both posts if you want to follow along:

Edit: One more interesting answer was just posted, bold is mine for emphasis:

Q: If you could compare Mario Kart to any ride at Disney or Universal in terms of basic design, what would that be? Or if not, is it completely unique?

A: I'm not too familiar with Disney rides, so I'll try to explain with Universal ones. TLDR: I would say both the vehicle shape and the ride itself are most similar to MIB, but there were some Spider-Man - esque movements as well. The vehicle is four person, with two in front two in back. The back two seats are elevated. To me it felt like the MIB vehicle, but it is more rectangular, meaning its length is longer its width compared to the proportions of MIB. The vehicle moves on a track and spins around, so the entire unit acts like MIB as well. But the part you sit in moves kind of like Spider-Man on top of like a big block. All in all it is a unique ride on it's own, but that's what I would compare it to.

Reactions: CyborgDinosaur
One more...

Q: So is Mario Kart as amazing as it sounds? Hearing that it has so many screens/AR kind of scares me.

A: I really enjoyed Mario Kart, but yes it does utilize the AR quite a bit. What makes it good in my opinion is the physical sets which are incredibly good, and the fact that it's like you're literally playing a video game while on a ride. Although the moving characters and AR animations can be kind of distracting from the physical sets. I don't think you need to worry though, it's not just "look at the screens" like Kong Skull Island. It's definitely more than that.

The ironic thing about that one short clip of the ride we've seen is that the poster probably chose to post that portion because that's the portion that impressed them most. Little did they know, it's the physical sets the masses wanted to see :grin:

Unless the video was of just the sets, then all people would want to see is how the AR worked. People want what they don't have.

Ok, my last one for the evening:

Q: The Mario Kart ride looks stunning from what I've seen. But I want to know, compared to the other rides in the park, is it one of the better ones/how would you rank it.

A: In USJ, it's objectively the most well made ride in the whole park. It's safe to say I would rank Mario Kart in the top threshold of attractions at any Universal park. I think it's really that good. I encourage you to see how I have described it in other comments and form your own opinion, but yeah, it's definitely up there.

Q: You’ve clearly visited the Orlando resort - where would you rank Mario Kart amongst other Universal rides? Ie, as good as Spider-Man?

A: I like it better than Spider-Man personally. The things that make it unique are the amazing physical sets, and the fact that it's really like playing a video game while riding an attraction. For me, that sets it higher than most other rides. I might even say it is THE best ride, at least for its type.

Q: How quick would you say Mario Kart is? Comparable to like space mountain or the mummy or more terminator and spiderman?

A: Oh, nothing like Space Mountain or Mummy, it's not a thrill ride. I would say it's pretty similar to MIB, not quite as fast as Spider-Man because it gives you some time to really look around and play the game.

Ok, my last one for the evening:

Q: The Mario Kart ride looks stunning from what I've seen. But I want to know, compared to the other rides in the park, is it one of the better ones/how would you rank it.

A: In USJ, it's objectively the most well made ride in the whole park. It's safe to say I would rank Mario Kart in the top threshold of attractions at any Universal park. I think it's really that good. I encourage you to see how I have described it in other comments and form your own opinion, but yeah, it's definitely up there.

Q: You’ve clearly visited the Orlando resort - where would you rank Mario Kart amongst other Universal rides? Ie, as good as Spider-Man?

A: I like it better than Spider-Man personally. The things that make it unique are the amazing physical sets, and the fact that it's really like playing a video game while riding an attraction. For me, that sets it higher than most other rides. I might even say it is THE best ride, at least for its type.

Q: How quick would you say Mario Kart is? Comparable to like space mountain or the mummy or more terminator and spiderman?

A: Oh, nothing like Space Mountain or Mummy, it's not a thrill ride. I would say it's pretty similar to MIB, not quite as fast as Spider-Man because it gives you some time to really look around and play the game.
Better than Spidey and FJ. That’s high praise.

...I checked one last time before bed.

Q: Can you describe the game aspect of the ride? What controls do you have at your disposal?

A: There are two ways to earn coins (the points in this game): steering and hitting enemies.

The steering part is simple, you have a steering wheel that you can turn left and right. On the AR at different points in the ride, you will see a red arrow on either the right or the left pointing in their respective directions. When it shows up, you have to turn in the correct direction and hold it until the arrow disappears. This earns you some coins.

The main way to earn coins is hitting enemies with Koopa shells. You get an item box a few times throughout the ride, and they are loaded with around 30-50 shells depending on which point in the ride you are. There are buttons on the steering wheel, and pushing either one shoots one Koopa shell. You aim by looking around, but there isn't anything like crosshairs or something so it's not easy to just hit everything. When you hit enemies, like the Koopalings or Bowser, you earn coins. The shells are colored different colors depending on which seat you're in, but they all act like green shells.

I hope that gives you a good idea.

The main way to earn coins is hitting enemies with Koopa shells. You get an item box a few times throughout the ride, and they are loaded with around 30-50 shells depending on which point in the ride you are. There are buttons on the steering wheel, and pushing either one shoots one Koopa shell. You aim by looking around, but there isn't anything like crosshairs or something so it's not easy to just hit everything. When you hit enemies, like the Koopalings or Bowser, you earn coins. The shells are colored different colors depending on which seat you're in, but they all act like green shells.

Well that answers a question of mine, since I was curious on how you'd be aiming with the controls on the wheel. Aiming with where you're looking is another unexpected use of the tech!

Better than Spidey and FJ. That’s high praise.

Most certainly, and with what we've seen so far and heard, just like Spidey and FJ did for their respective attractions, MK could very well set a high bar for this type of attraction.