Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 186 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Obviously she’s not popular to the extent of the big 6. But if we’re going to the extent of including Daisy, Toadette, Kamek, King Boo, Captain Toad, Bowser Jr, the Koopalings, and Poochy (of all characters), the absence of Rosalina and ESPECIALLY Wario sticks out like a sore thumb. If you’re a Mario character that’s popular enough to be playable in Smash Bros, you should probably be in this land.

Daisy has an advantage due to age, but Rosalina has had a much higher impact with her appearances. I suppose if you stopped playing around GameCube, Daisy would be more iconic?
Rosalina is more popular within the Nintendo fandom but Daisy is hands down more iconic.

Okay, I'm stopping here because this is becoming a bit too familiar to a certain video game board...

*shudders

It’s nit picky to want to see the main characters as AAs and not just mostly the generic baddies? Also everyone would’ve guaranteed flipped over seeing a full size advanced AA Bowser likely from Creature Technology again like Kong was.
I think “wanting to see it” is a perfectly acceptable. I’d have loved to see a Bowser AA.

My issue is people pretending not having a single Bowser AA or any Mario AAs is a huge knock against the land, when theme park geeks are the only people who will ever care about them.
My thought process was the same until I saw the ride and saw why no one on Team Koopa or Mario could do that as it’d break some of the illusion, so I get going 100% in on it but I hear that point.

I do know that about AAs, but the Navi River Journey AA can’t even pull of a realistic fight scene between them, I think there would have to be a ton else going on around them to make them feel animated enough, similiar to how it worked out in MK. Especially on a ride
Crazy lifelike AAs also break down *all the time*

Obviously she’s not popular to the extent of the big 6. But if we’re going to the extent of including Daisy, Toadette, Kamek, King Boo, Captain Toad, Bowser Jr, the Koopalings, and Poochy (of all characters), the absence of Rosalina and ESPECIALLY Wario sticks out like a sore thumb...if you’re not in the general public.

Just a quick clarification there. I understand your wishes come from being a super fan. But you have to realize that most of the public: 1. Know about Mario from Mario Kart. 2. Have no idea who those other characters are. Even Wario. I’d barter that if you showed his picture to the public, they’d tell you he’s Mario’s brother or at best “evil Mario.”

Reactions: Clive and Pacific
I haven’t played a great deal of Mario games since the SNES generation. Very briefly played some Mario Kart on Wii and Super Mario Bros on DS. The bulk of my knowledge comes from the early iterations of the characters (I’m 37), but have a passing recognition of the characters introduced since because I follow gaming in general. As a more “general audience” fan of the property, here’s my take:

I only care that Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach/Toad, and Bowser are present. The lack of those would have “ruined” the land. Yoshi, Toad, goombas, and koopas, are expectations but wouldn’t make or break the land. Anything beyond that is cherry.

I think “wanting to see it” is a perfectly acceptable. I’d have loved to see a Bowser AA.

My issue is people pretending not having a single Bowser AA or any Mario AAs is a huge knock against the land, when theme park geeks are the only people who will ever care about them.

Crazy lifelike AAs also break down *all the time*

I think we're spending too much evaluating what we perceive the land to lack versus the quality of what's there. I think the Yoshi ride is a bit lacking, for example, but overall this land is PACKED with great stuff. Mario Kart has some jaw-dropping tech, gorgeous sets, and covers a lot of franchise/character ground. The puzzles iterate and meaningfully gamify the wand spots by building to a climactic, interactive boss encounter. We get physical realizations of Mario environments and characters that have never before existed. It's spectacular stuff!

This does make me recall the tedious articles - some from reputable outlets! - that lamented the physical limitations of the Wizarding World when it first debuted. Stuff about how goblins didn't actually operate as cashiers, or that we didn't actually see house elves milling about. There are always practical realities of what can be included and integrated into a theme park setting.

I think we're spending too much evaluating what we perceive the land to lack versus the quality of what's there. I think the Yoshi ride is a bit lacking, for example, but overall this land is PACKED with great stuff. Mario Kart has some jaw-dropping tech, gorgeous sets, and covers a lot of franchise/character ground. The puzzles iterate and meaningfully gamify the wand spots by building to a climactic, interactive boss encounter. We get physical realizations of Mario environments and characters that have never before existed. It's spectacular stuff!

This does make me recall the tedious articles - some from reputable outlets! - that lamented the physical limitations of the Wizarding World when it first debuted. Stuff about how goblins didn't actually operate as cashiers, or that we didn't actually see house elves milling about. There are always practical realities of what can be included and integrated into a theme park setting.
Well said. @Joe and I talk a lot about how theme park fans are obsessed with stuff that “didn’t happen” because unbuilt rides can never disappoint. A lot of us often focus on what we imagined for years, rather than realizing what we got is pretty damn good or great, and was never gonna live up to our dreams

Well said. @Joe and I talk a lot about how theme park fans are obsessed with stuff that “didn’t happen” because unbuilt rides can never disappoint. A lot of us often focus on what we imagined for years, rather than realizing what we got is pretty damn good or great, and was never gonna live up to our dreams
The movie is never as good as the book, because nothing can compete with the power of your own imagination.

Something that took me a while to grasp is that this is essentially a high tech and cutting edge "children's" area. It just shouldn't be compared to Potter and Galaxy's Edge because even though Mario is for everyone, its main audience (especially in Japan) are children and families. This is unlike Potter and Star Wars, which have larger demographic reach (and have also covered more media than Mario prior to theme parks). Took me a while to realize that but, yeah...

This is the Toontown of the 21st century.

My expectations were warped Day 1 (May 2015, when this was first announced) because I just wasn't looking at it that way. Universal desperately needed something like this (especially in the US parks).

Super Nintendo World is a children's area that parents will be able to stomach.

Unlike......KidsZone......

Last edited:
Other than playing MarioKart with my son on his Gamecube a few times about 15-20 years ago, I have no real knowledge of any of these characters or games. You all are talking a foreign language to me! I do not like shooter rides like Midway Mania or Buzz lightyear, I think they are lazily made. MIB is fun because you don't need to shoot anything to enjoy it. This ride though looks like a lot of fun and it is on another whole level. I think the entire place looks like great fun even though I have no idea who most of those characters are. I'm looking forward to having a version of this at USH. Also, I think the Yoshi ride looks great visually, even though I have no idea what's happening on that either, lol.

Something that took me a while to grasp is that this is essentially a high tech and cutting edge "children's" area. It just shouldn't be compared to Potter and Galaxy's Edge because even though Mario is for everyone, its main audience (especially in Japan) are children and families. This is unlike Potter and Star Wars, which have larger demographic reach (and have also covered more media than Mario prior to theme parks). Took me a while to realize that but, yeah...

My expectations were warped Day 1 (May 2015, when this was first announced) because I just wasn't looking at it that way. Universal desperately needed something like this (especially in the US parks).

I wasn't going to say it because some people on here are probably going to take that personally, but yeah, this is a kids land. A lot of parallels with Seuss Landing. Sure adults can ride and love the land and main attraction, but it's for kids. It really was meant to replace KidZone and it would have filled that hole. As the main draw of EU, it really gives me the "EU is Uni's MK" vibe. Of the 4 major lands, 3 are kid/teen properties. But that's another discussion.

There's a fun childlike wonder that's oozing through Mario's Universe....Any Nintendo forum will show you that most people don't get it

Something Universal does really well is nailing the feeling and tone of an IP

And this land nails the feeling I got when I played MK on the N64 for the first time

Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
This is from a video from 2016. It was always going to be family-friendly attractions. When you compare the ride height limits for SNW to Potter, you kinda see who they’re targeting.

View attachment 14018
I thought family friendly ment like Indiana Jones Adventure and Forbidden Journey "family friendly" at the time. I assumed they ment a mix of varying thrills, not the whole land being the same amount of thrill. But I get this now.

I thought family friendly ment like Indiana Jones Adventure and Forbidden Journey "family friendly" at the time. I assumed they ment a mix of varying thrills, not the whole land being the same amount of thrill. But I get this now.
I would not consider FJ or IJA “family friendly”. Great rides, but FJ is a puke machine, and IJA really throws you around

But they’re not the “same amount of thrill.” The thrill level of Yoshi and Mario Kart are vastly different. Physically, they’re similar. But when the ride experiences are considered in total? Nope.