Superman (DCU) | Inside Universal Forums

Superman (DCU)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My precise reaction. Not interested, or impressed with what Gunn has brought or will be doing with the DCU thus far.
Going with Gunn to lead DCU always felt like a weird choice to me. He’s a talented writer/director and has a good creative vision, but it always felt like the decision was inorganic, more based on trying to lure Marvel fans to the other side along with a myriad of other optics issues they thought his hiring could solve.

Reactions: chris.g
My precise reaction. Not interested, or impressed with what Gunn has brought or will be doing with the DCU thus far.
Yeah, I’m a bit ambivalent, but I’m gonna give it a shot for sure. The only DCEU projects I’ve cared about in recent memory have been James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad and Gunn’s other project, Peacemaker, so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt while the slate is clean.

I think casting an older actress for Lois Lane is actually pretty good. I was always of the camp that Diane Lane would have made an excellent Lois but was instead saddled with the Ma Kent role. More believable that a hard boiled journalist would be older than a guileless hick coming to the big city for the first time.

I have no idea who either are but cool

I just hope they can make superman work this time. I also hope brainiac is the main villain, and not Lex.....I've seen Lex and he's much better as a behind the scenes bad guy vs the big bad

Reactions: Ahmanet
I have no idea who either are but cool

I just hope they can make superman work this time. I also hope brainiac is the main villain, and not Lex.....I've seen Lex and he's much better as a behind the scenes bad guy vs the big bad
I think as far as actors go, they knocked it out of the park with Henry Cavill and that film is a bit underrated and it’s more on WB for never making a sequel with him.

Yeah, I’m a bit ambivalent, but I’m gonna give it a shot for sure. The only DCEU projects I’ve cared about in recent memory have been James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad and Gunn’s other project, Peacemaker, so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt while the slate is clean.

I loathe Gunn being the head of DC films because it feels like such a gigantic waste for his peak, prime capabilities to be in charge of super hero films for the next decade or two. His films are so uniquely unruly yet heartfelt and while I've loved GotG, Suicide Squad and Peacemaker, I want the guy to be able to stretch his wings more.

At the very least he's an intelligent guy who should have the wherewithal to be able to command such a huge thing. Though I will say one of the things that struck me when they talked about the upcoming projects that would begin the new DCU involved multiple seemingly similar groups of lesser known, anti-hero, off-beat hero teams, alarm bells started ringing. GotG worked. Suicide Squad, while similar, worked. I don't know how many times you can use that same trope before it just wears on me.

I loathe Gunn being the head of DC films because it feels like such a gigantic waste for his peak, prime capabilities to be in charge of super hero films for the next decade or two. His films are so uniquely unruly yet heartfelt and while I've loved GotG, Suicide Squad and Peacemaker, I want the guy to be able to stretch his wings more.

At the very least he's an intelligent guy who should have the wherewithal to be able to command such a huge thing. Though I will say one of the things that struck me when they talked about the upcoming projects that would begin the new DCU involved multiple seemingly similar groups of lesser known, anti-hero, off-beat hero teams, alarm bells started ringing. GotG worked. Suicide Squad, while similar, worked. I don't know how many times you can use that same trope before it just wears on me.
Well he's connected very close to main WB Studios. Perhaps he can move into more of a producer-only/creative role as DC-Head and he'll have the option if he wants to pitch a film to WB and let them know he has a non-DC film he wants to work on or something and maybe he can do his own non-comic book thing that way still every once in awhile.

Well he's connected very close to main WB Studios. Perhaps he can move into more of a producer-only/creative role as DC-Head and he'll have the option if he wants to pitch a film to WB and let them know he has a non-DC film he wants to work on or something and maybe he can do his own non-comic book thing that way still every once in awhile.
I would love to see that but I'm not getting my hopes up. Also not at all to say dude doesn't deserve the Brinx trucks backing up to his house monthly from WB or that he probably does genuinely love super heroes and DC comics so there's a reason he accepted the gig.

I'm just being selfish for more movies I personally love.

I would love to see that but I'm not getting my hopes up. Also not at all to say dude doesn't deserve the Brinx trucks backing up to his house monthly from WB or that he probably does genuinely love super heroes and DC comics so there's a reason he accepted the gig.

I'm just being selfish for more movies I personally love.
I do think he genuinely is a very big comic book fan. If you go back to 2014 when promoting GOTG1, he talked about how much he loved both Marvel and DC all the way back then.

Reactions: Ahmanet
I’ve seen David in Hollywood and Rachel in Maisel. I think the fact that both of them come from period pieces is interesting.

I wonder if that speaks to the characterization or version of Americana Gunn’s Superman will have. Especially with The Boys like team of superhero’s that live in this new world. Goodness vs Super. I really think this new version of Kent will be more wholesome, at least in the beginning. The man is literally the embodiment of hope. As far as story beats, I can kind of see it as Steve Rogers being thrust into the modern world.

I knew she would get the role once the audition list was released ... a lesser known actor for Superman also works.

Two good castings so far, let the villain speculation begin (not counting the Avengers rip offs)

Reactions: Nico
I’ve seen David in Hollywood and Rachel in Maisel. I think the fact that both of them come from period pieces is interesting.

I wonder if that speaks to the characterization or version of Americana Gunn’s Superman will have. Especially with The Boys like team of superhero’s that live in this new world. Goodness vs Super. I really think this new version of Kent will be more wholesome, at least in the beginning. The man is literally the embodiment of hope. As far as story beats, I can kind of see it as Steve Rogers being thrust into the modern world.
I hope they kind of incorporate some stuff from the Superman & Lois CW show. I thought that was a good character focused show that explored Clark & Lois on a deeper level.

Reactions: Ahmanet and Nico