Test Track 2.0 | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Test Track 2.0

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Construction update from AmusementPics:

iYHEo1wo4KclD.jpg

ibnh7Ll79goXnD.jpg

iFggbV1iyzMic.jpg

You can see the outline of the already installed giant "TT" framing:

iQj10f7zPXONu.png

For reference, here's the concept art:

iCQQDyB2FaJpa.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cwoolboy
It really, really is. Coming from a company that still does amazing three-dimensional facade work as of recent (e.g. Mission: SPACE facade before it was left for dead, both new castles in New Fantasyland, Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, etc.), this toothpick hot-dog stand with a two-dimensional cardboard cut-out on it is atrocious.

And perhaps at first glance it's relatively okay, but it has less aesthetic and structural qualities than a disinterested middle school stagecraft class' potential output.

I've seen Disney's best, and this is honestly worthless junk. The inside had BETTER be up to par.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
I just want to point out a few differences. In the concept, there is just one row of scaffolding directly underneath the right tip of the T, while in the current outline we see two more rows of scaffolding extending past the tip. And also in the current outline the bottom of the T is all one straight edge, while in the concept the bottom of the T is different on the left and right side. And also on the concept there is only one row of scaffolding on the left. Also on the concept that big circular Test Track thing is much farther back then it will actually be, assuming that hole is where it's going. Is it typical for concepts to have these kinds of minor differences? Or can we hope to see atleast some of the scaffolding leave?

Last edited:
It really is not that bad. I mean what would you rather have instead? The inside of the ride will make up for it. I do not think it looks all that bad.

Geez, if you HAVE to ask

motionoutsideday.jpg

I agree with violarum, its really poor and on another message board, I even asked around if that scaffolding was supposed to be temporary for those years when Test Track was being built, and then removed, like the Wand.

It screams temporary rock concert stage which doesn't fit in with a futuristic car ride at all.

Meh. It's not that terrible, but from Disney I expected more. Don't know why, but I did. Oh well, guess I'm just too naive.

Last edited:
I just want to point out a few differences. In the concept, there is just one row of scaffolding directly underneath the right tip of the T, while in the current outline we see two more rows of scaffolding extending past the tip. And also in the current outline the bottom of the T is all one straight edge, while in the concept the bottom of the T is different on the left and right side. And also on the concept there is only one row of scaffolding on the left. Also on the concept that big circular Test Track thing is much farther back then it will actually be, assuming that hole is where it's going. Is it typical for concepts to have these kinds of minor differences? Or can we hope to see atleast some of the scaffolding leave?

The differences in the scaffolding in the concept art is probably just a lack of detail by the concept artist. If you look closely at the left side, the same style of scaffolding is shown, making it more than likely just an oversight.

As for the bottom of the two T's, that may actually be my own error with the red outlined graphic I posted. Obviously, a tree is in the way, preventing closely examining where the framing exactly is.

And concept art is simply that, A CONCEPT. Not every little detail will always be the same from the drawing to end product. For example, take FLE's facade for the mermaid ride. Here's the early concept art from a few years ago:

iIxLyGIYnLvXP.jpg

Here's the modified concept art that was released this past August to reflect the finalized design:

iZPRFT7gV4tZm.jpg

Here's the actual facade that was built:

iQ9f2Bz0AhU4m.jpg

Last edited:
Hey no blame to ya I looked really closely and couldn't see anything. If anything I thank you for taking the extra time to draw the outline. And thank ya for the clarification, haven't really observed concepts closely in the past, and got a kick inside me all of a sudden to do more than just check back every once in a while and try to get more into the business.

It's pretty obvious that the concept art was never intended to public consumption, probably thrown together as a 'compromise' when OPs and WDI couldn't come to an agreement on what to do with it.

The awning was built to hold a preview center/car demo while Test Track was being built (check Martin's tribute videos for photos/video). Once open, combined with slow dispatch times and frequent break downs, the lines for TT would extend outside. The canopy was kept. Then OPs came up with the rule of having shade for all CMs, and voila, we have the canopy.

The canopy is a direct result on removing the WoM outside concourse and the lower capacity of Test Track. As was evident by construction and concept art, it was not meant to stay, but in the end did. I wouldn't mind it so much if it just wasn't so big and blocked the awesome view of the pavilion.

:lol:

It's not that I don't like it. I'm just indifferent towards it. I do like the actually entrance itself, but I'm just "whatever" on the scaffolding.

I'm really happy with what they did with the actual entrance as well. Glad that's getting more themeing than being a garage.