The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 198 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also BBTM and everything else going on at Disney World as well.

Well that too, but I believe Disney is serious in "turbocharging" WDW as well.

Epic Universe will be the focus in 2025-2026... but after that WDW could have some serious talking points.

Not sure what USH has in store post-F&F, but something family-related is absolutely necessary.

Disney Forward will definitely cause USH to get their act moving. WDW new stuff, when it gets announced, will push USF.

Orlando didn't change their plan of attack when WDW was building Avatar, Toy Story, Star Wars, and the Epcot overhaul.

UO already has their plans, anchored by a new park.

• Love
Reactions: OrlLover
Orlando didn't change their plan of attack when WDW was building Avatar, Toy Story, Star Wars, and the Epcot overhaul.

UO already has their plans, anchored by a new park.
Yes, Epic was their main plan and answer.....,With Epic open they'll go after the full, longer vacation guest. They'll need constant refreshes to keep that interest against a rising WDW.

Yea Uni Orlando has been on a roll lately and they haven’t stepped off the gas yet.

While WDW finally seems to be waking up and preparing to move full steam ahead.

All I'm trying to say is that, as of now, anything that comes to fruition from Universal Orlando isn't a "response".
I'd also argue that none of the upcoming Walt Disney World projects are "a response." Just because one thing happens after another thing does not make the two things connected. A lot of this stuff is fun narrative fodder for nerds like us, but I'm not convinced it's actually how these decisions are made.

I'd also argue that none of the upcoming Walt Disney World projects are "a response." Just because one thing happens after another thing does not make the two things connected. A lot of this stuff is fun narrative fodder for nerds like us, but I'm not convinced it's actually how these decisions are made.
I don't agree. Best Example: WDW Imagineers plans for GESWL was a small improvement around the lake and a flat ride or two. Disney Board toured newly opened Diagon. They were super impressed, and kind of shocked. They went back to the GESWL planners and told them to do something on the order of Diagon's land quality and scope. Up until Potter, Disney lagged in new attractions, mainly because they considered Orlando a 'mature market', plus Universal and Sea World were considered inferior competition. Most everything WDW did after the Potter opening was in response to Universal and Potter. What's been happening since 2010 in the Orlando market has often been responses and/or a war for market share. And, how plans change. They were ready to build Nintendo at USO, walls up even. Then the land deals materialized and that was all delayed to Epic years down the road. The best laid plans of theme parks sometimes go awry.

All I'm trying to say is that, as of now, anything that comes to fruition from Universal Orlando isn't a "response".
Don't think they were saying that, just that UOR can't step off the gas cause they debuted a new park. Well aware that UOR has had plans for LC/USF for years now, so looking forward to how it all shapes up timeline-wise.

Don't think they were saying that, just that UOR can't step off the gas cause they debuted a new park. Well aware that UOR has had plans for LC/USF for years now, so looking forward to how it all shapes up timeline-wise.

I mean... lol
Disney's new momentum will 'force' Universal to update IOA and USO quicker than they originally planned. They probably thought Disney was in the 'sleep mode' for the decade.

and....time will tell. A lot depends on whether IOA and USO attendance will remain steady, or rise, after Epic opens. Or will Epic severely cannibalize IOA and USO attendance? Those results will have a lot to do with what happens in the future.

Universal has not caused me to wonder about their commitment to adding things to the parks for well over a decade now. Disney has constantly made me wonder what they're doing - from going through several CEOs, several WDI leaders, and several parks heads PLUS two times when they've basically said they view the WDW as "done", so call me skeptical of these mythical Disney plans Universal must respond to.

Also, it's Universal Studios Florida (USF) not Universal Studios Orlando (USO) for 34 years.

Disney Forward will definitely cause USH to get their act moving. WDW new stuff, when it gets announced, will push USF.

I'm not so sure. With UNI opening up Epic next year, they could probably maintain their current schedule of additions/replacements and still be in good position. No matter what WDW announces, those rides won't open for 3-4 years. Universal Orlando could do a Lost Continent and Rockit replacement without rushing and open those by or before Disney's new rides at WDW. Plus starting a new ride at Epic.

I made this comment without reading the most recent posts. So, I'm just repetitive.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. With UNI opening up Epic next year, they could probably maintain their current schedule of additions/replacements and still be in good position. No matter what WDW announces, those rides won't open for 3-4 years. Universal Orlando could do a Lost Continent and Rockit replacement without rushing and open those by or before Disney's new rides at WDW. Plus starting a new ride at Epic.
Don't underestimate Disney's ability to fast track an attraction. If they are incentivized (which they appear to now), they can put up things very quickly. They put up that giant Poly DVC Holiday Inn very quickly. SWGE only took 3 years to construct.

Don't underestimate Disney's ability to fast track an attraction. If they are incentivized (which they appear to now), they can put up things very quickly. They put up that giant Poly DVC Holiday Inn very quickly. SWGE only took 3 years to construct.

Hopefully, you are correct. I figured that they built the new Polyday Inn (not my idea) because it had a direct income generation benefit. I guess that it depends how far along they are on the planning and storyboarding for the new rides.

Still, I am a little anxious to see what UNI does with Lost Continent. Like so many have said, it has felt like such an underwhelming area where the facades are so awesome.

To me, the whole question of "Who's responding to who?" is kind of irrelevant. Whether or not a move is internally deemed to be a response to something the other company has done, the important thing is that things continue to be built at each resort.

Also, it's Universal Studios Florida (USF) not Universal Studios Orlando (USO) for 34 years.
I think we all clearly understood what was being referenced and the point that was being made.

Honestly my heart goes out to this land, once considered probably THE best in IOA. And ever since WWOHP, Lost Continent has just been dying the slowest death.

And when UOR said the closure will help make way for exciting new experiences for guests, they must have meant need to save money from running it for Epic Universe because pretty sure there has been zero movement inside this entire year.

Pretty much this. The primary determinant of how both companies perform is mostly macroeconomic and I’ve always thought both go about their business decisions on their own. I think people just get passionate about it and over-blow it into something more than it is.

Universal has not caused me to wonder about their commitment to adding things to the parks for well over a decade now. Disney has constantly made me wonder what they're doing - from going through several CEOs, several WDI leaders, and several parks heads PLUS two times when they've basically said they view the WDW as "done", so call me skeptical of these mythical Disney plans Universal must respond to.
Welcome to the reality of having to justify why WDW should get something ahead of DCL, Hong Kong, Paris, and Shanghai should get something when they’ve been waiting longer for an addition.