The Future of PortAventura | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of PortAventura

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Why do you think not?
Because us dropping info on USGB has nothing to do with Portaventura

And if one party were trying to leverage a better deal, the conspiracy would be to get other buyers to walk away from a sale not whatever mental gymnastics this conspiracy would be

Correct me if anyone thinks I’m wrong, but I’ve noticed many theme park YouTubers have talked about the potential USGB with much interest and excitement. Except The Main Street News (maybe they are busy), because I get the impression they are so enamoured with wanting Universal to set up shop at PAW?

Of course it could be a great destination for a Universal type resort. With existing attractions and future potential. But I feel the only caveat here is after purchasing the resort, then rebranding, remodelling and anything else needed they may as well have just built a ground up park. For what it’s worth even if it costs more overall. I feel Universal are in the business of brand new parks built from scratch, as they want to create something unique. And to wave at the mouse across the way and be like “hey look at what I just built, what are you doing?”

Correct me if anyone thinks I’m wrong, but I’ve noticed many theme park YouTubers have talked about the potential USGB with much interest and excitement. Except The Main Street News (maybe they are busy), because I get the impression they are so enamoured with wanting Universal to set up shop at PAW?

Of course it could be a great destination for a Universal type resort. With existing attractions and future potential. But I feel the only caveat here is after purchasing the resort, then rebranding, remodelling and anything else needed they may as well have just built a ground up park. For what it’s worth even if it costs more overall. I feel Universal are in the business of brand new parks built from scratch, as they want to create something unique. And to wave at the mouse across the way and be like “hey look at what I just built, what are you doing?”
Have been saying this ad nauseum, it would end up costing a lot more in the end unless the brand is spun off so it's a Universal lite type park

I think it depends more on the return they can get at each location. Building in the UK might cost less, but could they spend a little more to end up with potentially double the amount of visitors?

There are a lot of pros that PortAventura has over building in the UK imo. Salou is already located in a tourist area, has better weather, an airport just 10 minutes away, and Spain overall gets way more visitors vs the UK, meaning there's a bigger potential market. If the rumors are true, it sounds like they're still considering all their options so I wouldn't be surprised if they end up going with Spain.

I think it depends more on the return they can get at each location. Building in the UK might cost less, but could they spend a little more to end up with potentially double the amount of visitors?

There are a lot of pros that PortAventura has over building in the UK imo. Salou is already located in a tourist area, has better weather, an airport just 10 minutes away, and Spain overall gets way more visitors vs the UK, meaning there's a bigger potential market. If the rumors are true, it sounds like they're still considering all their options so I wouldn't be surprised if they end up going with Spain.
Add me to the list of people who would like to have just a few more unique rides as a reason to visit spain. Universal can probably build a major new ride and send all the influencers there and increase attendance at least 30 percent in the first year just like potter did.

But wouldn't that taint the brand?
If they can do smaller family parks under a new brand, I suppose they could also do some sort of "adventure" parks concept too.

The question may be whether or not they are prepared to gobble up more amusement parks and create a branded concept worth duplicating, or if it would just be a one-off... Cause right now at least, it feels to me like the company is more interested in duplicating success around the world instead of one-offs.

Reactions: tielo
I think that at this point is pretty clear that Portaventura is not going to get bought by Universal. I thing that Universal had their eye on this park for long time, but also had their other locations like Germany and UK, and at the end they have decided for UK. Maybe in some years if Universal GB goes to plan they are going the get a Universal park on continental Europe but in another location.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
We have seen evidence of Comcast execs there as late as mid-November, so way after they purchased the land in Bedford. It seems like they still want to keep the option of a sale open for the time being.

But wouldn't that taint the brand?
Buying a rollercoaster park instead of creating something new like the new parks they've built these recent years seems like it would taint a brand a lot yes

I think that at this point is pretty clear that Portaventura is not going to get bought by Universal. I thing that Universal had their eye on this park for long time, but also had their other locations like Germany and UK, and at the end they have decided for UK. Maybe in some years if Universal GB goes to plan they are going the get a Universal park on continental Europe but in another location.
Can someone please explain where the lore of Germany comes from, I keep see it spoken with such confidence and everytime im like Where did this even come from?

also here is a tweet thread
GCT39MTXoAAexOU

Last edited:
Reactions: tielo

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts