The Icons and Lore Thread | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Icons and Lore Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Lol I wasn’t being serious, Chance is the only icon I’ve ever experienced so she just holds a special place in my heart that’s all.
Gotcha! Sorry, it's hard to read emotion on a forum sometimes haha. Well, then that's a different perspective and I can respect it. Might I say you're in for a treat this year, if some things go the way they're supposed to go, you'll be getting a pretty cool history lesson and not just in the Icons house.

Now that I'm older and married, I tend to get annoyed at attention seekers, so that's where I'm coming from when it comes to her. I'm annoyed at Jack's attention seeking behavior too, and I don't like clowns nor do I find them scary, but his supernatural backstory is too juicy to hate.

Speaking of Chance, has there ever been a specific backstory for her? I remember at 26 she mentioned that she was part of Oddfellow’s Circus before meeting Jack so I’m curious if anyone has more insight?
If there is one, I'd be glad to listen and change my opinion, but the only thing I've seen is that Jack stitched her together to be his girlfriend and that she's modeled after Harley Quinn, which is just lazy writing. Just as lazy as the Director. It's a solid concept(he's making a movie and you're the star) but there are no stakes nor stakeholders to drive a story.

Reactions: Allison
Speaking of Chance, has there ever been a specific backstory for her? I remember at 26 she mentioned that she was part of Oddfellow’s Circus before meeting Jack so I’m curious if anyone has more insight?
Nope. She’s just Jack’s lackey. She (and Tiny) was developed for the 2007 Carnival of Carnage show strictly to give Jack some people to talk to and move things around on stage. She had her fans, but she wasn’t given enough to really matter. When they brought her back in 2010 as a “partner” for Jack, the character really blew up because of the way she could interact with guests.

Speaking of lore, though, Hal Geluk deserves a mention.

Gotcha! Sorry, it's hard to read emotion on a forum sometimes haha. Well, then that's a different perspective and I can respect it. Might I say you're in for a treat this year, if some things go the way they're supposed to go, you'll be getting a pretty cool history lesson and not just in the Icons house.

Now that I'm older and married, I tend to get annoyed at attention seekers, so that's where I'm coming from when it comes to her. I'm annoyed at Jack's attention seeking behavior too, and I don't like clowns nor do I find them scary, but his supernatural backstory is too juicy to hate.

If there is one, I'd be glad to listen and change my opinion, but the only thing I've seen is that Jack stitched her together to be his girlfriend and that she's modeled after Harley Quinn, which is just lazy writing. Just as lazy as the Director. It's a solid concept(he's making a movie and you're the star) but there are no stakes nor stakeholders to drive a story.

Welp, I’m pretty basic lol and I loved Birds of Prey so I honestly enjoy Chance for the knock off that she is! I’m excited to possibly see more of the other icons this year though.

Oh so is she supposed to be a doll brought to life? That’s interesting and explains the cracked porcelain makeup.

Nope. She’s just Jack’s lackey. She (and Tiny) was developed for the 2007 Carnival of Carnage show strictly to give Jack some people to talk to and move things around on stage. She had her fans, but she wasn’t given enough to really matter. When they brought her back in 2010 as a “partner” for Jack, the character really blew up because of the way she could interact with guests.

Speaking of lore, though, Hal Geluk deserves a mention.
Ah gotcha! I actually really like the character I think she’s entertaining and she was the icon the first year I attended so I hope she gets her due this year and appears in the rumoured icon house either alongside Jack or on her own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halloween Horror Nights Crypt - Icons is a good place to start.

If you'd like to go down the rabbit hole of websites, you should try this link: Hallow'd Past: Past HHN Websites - Archived Versions

When you go to the websites, look for your pointer to turn into a "pointer finger" ANYWHERE on the screen. It's back when Universal hid links in tiny symbols or what have you, on the page. I know there are a few sites, I believe 14-19 that have links to click in the top right, that will open different portals of games and things that can provide hours of enjoyment! There are also a ton of behind the scenes videos that show A&D's processes for creating the event. If you have any questions on what the pages should look like or how to complete some of the activities, I've survived most of the games (minus CoC since I think they're impossible due to non-working functions). The LT website is pretty deep too. It's really a lot of fun and time consuming, but well worthwhile in my opinion.
Thanks, really appreciate this.

Reactions: Ringwraith
The other day on Twitter, Patrick Braillard? hinted that there was more developed for Chance in 26 that wasn’t used. Unfortunate.
That’s common, actually. They brainstorm a lot for the characters while they’re in development, but they still only have so much time and resources to fully develop those elements into something presentable.

Most creative writing will involve way more character development beyond what is ever seen.

Reactions: Rikku and Coolbfitz
Hi guys! I'm fairly new to the HHN fandom (about a year and a half now). But I'll put my two cents in on the best characters/icons to me.

1. Terra Queen
2. Storyteller
3. Jack
4. Usher
5. Fear (I know he got backlash, but he seems really cool)
6. Director
7. Cindy
8. Lady Luck
9. Bloody Mary (RIP)
10. Chance

I cannot wait to see them in person when I can.

Also I don't know/can't find much about Lady Luck even though I like her, so can someone fill me in on her lore?

Reactions: Tbad556
Hi guys! I'm fairly new to the HHN fandom (about a year and a half now). But I'll put my two cents in on the best characters/icons to me.

Also I don't know/can't find much about Lady Luck even though I like her, so can someone fill me in on her lore?
This is a great place to start for her backstory if you haven't already found it :thumbsup:

Reactions: SirAustin77
I’m curious to see if the lore of the icons will be expanded upon this year if they do make a return. Some of their backstories are unclear/muddled. I’m not expecting anything but it would be cool to get more context out of some of them.

Reactions: SirAustin77
When it comes to Icons, I've noticed they're definitely a mileage may vary on why folks prefer one over the other. Perhaps it's because they have a very fleshed out lore, for others it could be how much of a presence they had in the event during their respective years, and for others it could be due to them having a great house or scare zone. Variety is the spice of life, and I like that there's usually something that people can admire from the various Icons.

For me, I've yet to personally attend a year with any of the Icons, so what I'm going off of is whatever videos, media etc I could find of any.
(An this isn't a official ranking, just my thoughts on the Icons.)

Jack - The one that started it all, and he's an icon who's benefited greatly by various stage performances. Instead of a tv blip and maybe a quick scare in a house, we've seen him perform and kill again and again. So even with his backstory getting retcon'd multiple times to the point of who cares, he captures our attention when he comes out on stage.

Eddie - I'll admit I really like Eddie's original backstory of a horror-obsessed fan, moreso than being Jack's brother. He's never really gotten a chance to truly shine like some others, but a twisted chainsaw guy can always do in a pinch...when he's actually used. (I remember the reports of 06's Hostile Territory where it took him a while to actually show up!)

The Caretaker - A wonderfully creepy icon with a downright iconic looking weapon, and one who's main house is a modern classic.

The Director - I'll admit he's a mixed bag for me. I like the lore behind him, but I feel he's never been used properly. You can swear up and down that the films in the All Nite Die In houses are his, but we all know they're not. For me, I want to see a house of him filming various snuff films. I feel there's a nice seedy potential with that, but that's only been touched on slightly with tv ads and stage show bits.

The Storyteller - While I feel the Terra Queen is way more fleshed out/better, there are moments where the Storyteller has potential. I recall they made a film for either 06' or '10 which involved her telling a story of a guy dropping his wedding ring into a garbage disposal and having to reach in to get it out, it was a excellent short which was downright creepy and one of the times where I felt the Storyteller actually worked.

Mary Agana/Bloody Mary - Without a doubt, she has one of the best fleshed out backstories for any icon. An in the park she had a great presence be it her voice or any reflection she could show up in. But she's also proof a great backstory and character can't prevent her from having one of the -worst- houses in HHN history.

The Usher - I actually like the Usher quite a bit. He's got a simple but effective backstory, and I think he worked better for a IP-collage house than the Director since well, if it's held in a classic theater, of course you're going to see Ushers!

Fear - I'll admit he's always felt like an afterthought (Granted, he wasn't the first choice for the Icon that year...), being mainly a puppeteer for the other Icons. But I do think reintroducing him in a house could do some good, might be better as a character who's out to scare people.

Lady Luck - A interesting character who like Fear, could benefit being reintroduced in a house. Just hopefully with better masks/makeup for the monstrous side since hoo boy, those masks in Your Luck Has Run Out did not do her any favors.

Chance - I definitely like her, and she's another one who benefits being seen in a stage performance so we get to know her and see her at work.

I've only been attending since 26, so Chance is the only true Icon I've ever been able to see live.

The one non-icon Lore character I would love to see fleshed out (ironic) is Bone from 27. I love his design to death and he got shafted pretty hard in 27. Seeing him on the crossover comic shirt this year made me extremely pumped to see him back in some form, I hope they give him some love whenever 30 rolls around. Regardless, he's an icon in my heart. 0:)

Thoughts on the Icons:
  • Jack - The one that started it all, and this is largely biased since 2015 was my very first year, but my favorite Icon. Cool backstory, funny but still horrific character, and just a fun Icon! Yeah I know and understand people are starting to get tired of him, but hey, I still really like him. Gonna be bittersweet if it's true the Icons house this year will be a bit of a farewell to him and the other Icons for a long time.

• Chance - Hot take time! Loved her event and loved her as an Icon. One of my most fond memories of her year was on the last night (not Halloween, the extra night), I got to go through Lunatic's Playground multiple times completely alone, and it was a blast. The cast was having fun with me, and I got to stay in the last room to watch the whole scene of Chance and the inmate.

• Eddie - He has a simple backstory, and I love it. Hope to see him finally get his own event one of these years. Plus he's the host of RUN, so big bonus points there.

• The Caretaker - Genuinely unsettling, with a creepy backstory. I have a fond memory from 2015 where he gave me his operating blades and let me take a photo with him while holding them.

• The Director - Eh... Not the best backstory and not really the most interesting character. Although, All Nite Die-In at 25 is still the fastest I've ever ran when two Purgers chased me through the zone with their chainsaws high in the air.

• The Storyteller - Probably my least favorite. No backstory, and not that interesting. Cool tongue kill though.

• The Usher - I know people don't like him because they don't think his backstory is good or that he just isn't interesting, but imo it's the opposite. He was just a poor guy who loved movies and died in an accident, and now continues to have his love for movies in the afterlife and punish those who are rude and disrupt them.

• Terra Queen - Holy sh*t. Insane lore and her year sounded absolutely incredible with everything tied in. I'm grateful that they're at least giving her a scare zone and possibly a show, but man am I disappointed they're not going full Terra Cruentes 2 for this year.

• Fear - The concept of Fear and the Icons being nothing but his little puppets is such a great idea... but the execution was unfortunately poor. Here's to hoping he's improved upon in the Icon house and when he returns for HHN 40!

• Lady Luck - Just like Fear, really cool concept, but not the best execution.

Reactions: shiekra38