The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 931 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In addition to refurbishing DC, I'd really like to see them cover up the show building for FJ. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Considering Japans is essentially showing a giant Costco building if you look from Black Lake, and that Hollywoods is not exactly hiding it also, doubt it. And its a shame, considering the amount of times that they've dropped the ball on that.

Considering Japans is essentially showing a giant Costco building if you look from Black Lake, and that Hollywoods is not exactly hiding it also, doubt it. And its a shame, considering the amount of times that they've dropped the ball on that.
They didn't drop the ball on it. They do it intentionally. It's not a mistake or an oversight. Now you can choose to love it or hate it, but it's a Universal "thing".

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
They didn't drop the ball on it. They do it intentionally. It's not a mistake or an oversight. Now you can choose to love it or hate it, but it's a Universal "thing".

I mean, yeah, they did drop the ball by making a poor decision. I guarantee at some point they were like, "well we can find a solution to this problem for x dollars," and they decided not to. That's dropping the ball, because it looks like crap. It works fine for some attractions - River Adventure, Mummy - but not for FJ.

I mean, yeah, they did drop the ball by making a poor decision. I guarantee at some point they were like, "well we can find a solution to this problem for x dollars," and they decided not to. That's dropping the ball, because it looks like crap. It works fine for some attractions - River Adventure, Mummy - but not for FJ.

I think the average guest truly doesn't see it. It is much easier for them to let go and really let themselves become part of these worlds. As theme park fans with a working knowledge of how these parks operate and theoretically have a critical eye for these things, that is what actually allows us to see things like that. Universal Creative has almost certainly taken that into account and planned accordingly within the budgets they are given. If it comes down to a choice between a painted texture on the wall, and, say, something like the fake snow and snowman down in the village, I think the snowman would be the right choice. Here is an excellent post about this very subject:  Passport to Dreams Old & New: Go Away Green

Here's a quote that I think really hits the point home:

Next time you're at Enchanted Grove, stand there for twenty minutes and watch everyone not seeing the huge blank wall above their heads. Marvel that the illusion still works. That's it, that's your proof right there of the staying power of the theme parks: there can be huge seams showing - vast expanses of unthemed infrastructure - and everyone looks away just as the designers intended. It's real magic.

I think the average guest truly doesn't see it. It is much easier for them to let go and really let themselves become part of these worlds. As theme park fans with a working knowledge of how these parks operate and theoretically have a critical eye for these things, that is what actually allows us to see things like that. Universal Creative has almost certainly taken that into account and planned accordingly within the budgets they are given. If it comes down to a choice between a painted texture on the wall, and, say, something like the fake snow and snowman down in the village, I think the snowman would be the right choice. Here is an excellent post about this very subject: Passport to Dreams Old & New: Go Away Green

Here's a quote that I think really hits the point home:

This is very fair, and I've read this piece before. Like I said, Universal is capable of doing this well - I very rarely notice the Revenge of the Mummy/Kong show building unless I'm looking for it. But the show building sticks out like a sore thumb in the otherwise hyper-themed Wizarding World.

They handled it much better in Diagon - can't see Gringotts at all, really.

The average guest does notice it. Every person I know who has visited Wizarding World has come back from Orlando complaining about the show building. Not a single one of them Universal fans; only there for HP.

I've found the normal guest doesn't notice it. They aren't looking for the land's flaws there just looking to be immersed, so there minds ignore the faults (this is also thanks to sneaky stuff by the creative team like distractions and special colors).

Reactions: anihilnation
The average guest does notice it. Every person I know who has visited Wizarding World has come back from Orlando complaining about the show building. Not a single one of them Universal fans; only there for HP.

And every person I know that's been has never said 1 thing about the show building. These people being casual theme park fans that usually go to Disneyland once or twice a year.

Point is that it may stand out to some people. But the casual and "once in a lifetime" vistors ether don't notice it or really just don't care that it's visible.

And every person I know that's been has never said 1 thing about the show building. These people being casual theme park fans that usually go to Disneyland once or twice a year.

Point is that it may stand out to some people. But the casual and "once in a lifetime" vistors ether don't notice it or really just don't care that it's visible.

We're going to get into "he said she said" here, but I've heard plenty of first time visitors be like "I wish I couldn't see the warehouse." It's pretty obvious as you approach the castle and your eyes wander over to the kinetic energy of the Hippogriff. It's VERY visible when you're on the Hippogriff itself. And let's not even talk about Jurassic Park.

It'd be one thing if the building's blind spots were cleverly disguised or distracted from through smart design (as demonstrated to great effect in that blog post), but it just isn't. There's just a big obvious building visible from a MASSIVE array of angles. I don't notice Mummy's building unless I'm looking for it - I see FJ's building every time I walk through Jurassic Park, ride the Hippogriff or approach the castle from the main Hogsmeade thoroughfare.

It is what it is. They made the decision, it isn't going to change. But it was almost certainly an issue of budgeting (and I'd agree if the choice was "better theming on the streets," I'd make the same call), but I'm tired of hearing "it was an intentional choice!" like it's somehow a good thing. It isn't.

I wouldn't even know that the building shows if it wasn't for this site. No one I know ever says anything about it when they first visit. It drives such a small % of guests crazy and 90% of those guests will still go to Uni the same amount of times. Why spend money on something like that?

Reactions: Mad Dog
I wouldn't even know that the building shows if it wasn't for this site. No one I know ever says anything about it when they first visit. It drives such a small % of guests crazy and 90% of those guests will still go to Uni the same amount of times. Why spend money on something like that?

You could make that argument for so many small details and flourishes that help make theme parks, theme parks. It isn't a strong case for why they shouldn't do something. But we were told to table this conversation, and I'm going to honor that.

I'm excited we'll be getting expanded Christmas decorations in Hogsmeade this year - in the past I understand it's been fairly understated due to some bureaucracy in getting new elements approved through JKR/WB. I wonder if eventually we might see Diagon Alley decorations, too?

I'm excited we'll be getting expanded Christmas decorations in Hogsmeade this year - in the past I understand it's been fairly understated due to some bureaucracy in getting new elements approved through JKR/WB. I wonder if eventually we might see Diagon Alley decorations, too?

That would be nice and I can't wait to see the pictures.

Now that Daniel Radcliffe's new movie, "Victor Frankenstein", is the cinematic turkey of the year :died:, perhaps now he'll be open to appearing in new ride films for HP future attractions. :lol:

If anything, he might be *less* likely to appear, given that he really wants to prove that he can be a success without Potter.

If anything, he might be *less* likely to appear, given that he really wants to prove that he can be a success without Potter.
Might be. Though he's done a lot of stuff, including a very short Broadway run, but everything's been kind of on the downside. He was pretty much in demand but Hollywood has a short memory. Especially after a pretty large budget movie bombs so badly. After another dud or two he'll find himself doing B level work. But his co star Emma Watson's career is going the other way. She's had some critically acclaimed roles and her movies, though not huge budgets, have performed better than expected. It will be interesting to watch how this turns out. Like you, I don't really expect him to jump back towards HP yet, my post was basically just to get a bit of a laugh, but somewhere down the line his options are going to start to be limited.

Reactions: Teknik_DC2