Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 97 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Last edited:

Kind of weird that they're leaving a day in between rather than just close for two days in a row. I suppose that's accommodating for vacationers who are only visiting for a couple of days...maaaayyybbeeee.

Being a business guy, it just made sense from an Xs and Os case. I was the first to make this prediction just a couple weeks ago :)

My prediction: September is going to be the lowest attendance per park that UOR or WDW has seen in decades.
I would have never thought 5 days would ever happen, but considering they’re suddenly regional parks, it’s entirely possible (six flags already moved to 5 a couple weeks ago).
I could see them doing a schedule like this at UOR:
USF closed Monday and Tuesday
IOA closed Wednesday and Thursday
Or mix a single day closure and VB for two days. Say USF Monday, VB Tuesday and Wednesday (for back to back closure which is easier for staffing), IOA Thursday.

I still can easily see IOA/USF each closing 1 day/week if weekday crowds plummet further.
Monday for one Wednesday for the other leaving HP open for both to justify park hoppers/HE.

Last edited:
Kind of weird that they're leaving a day in between rather than just close for two days in a row. I suppose that's accommodating for vacationers who are only visiting for a couple of days...maaaayyybbeeee.
Sounds feasible...also....Could be for employee scheduling purposes. Off days Mon/Tues or Tues /Weds or Weds/Thurs or Thurs/Fri....most everyone scheduled to work for more crowded weekends....Of course just a guess, but maybe this uses the available workforce best, and still allows max coverage on weekends.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Being a business guy, it just made sense from an Xs and Os case. I was the first to make this prediction just a couple weeks ago :)

I still can easily see IOA/USF each closing 1 day/week if weekday crowds plummet further.
Monday for one Wednesday for the other leaving HP open for both to justify park hoppers/HE.
I agree that closing the parks for a day may be on the table..considering fall is a slow time without the lack of HHN and a pandemic

I'm not sure how only leaving the Wizarding World open in the "closed" park would go over

Reactions: Andysol
I agree that closing the parks for a day may be on the table..considering fall is a slow time without the lack of HHN and a pandemic

I'm not sure how only leaving the Wizarding World open in the "closed" park would go over
They would never just leave WW open because it defeats the point of the park being closed. You would have to HEAVILY market that the WW is open at the closed park WITHIN the open park and even still, it would probably end up pretty damn empty because the only way to get to the land would be via HE, which puts the area on an island. It wouldn't be cost effective to operate like that.

They would never just leave WW open because it defeats the point of the park being closed. You would have to HEAVILY market that the WW is open at the closed park WITHIN the open park and even still, it would probably end up pretty damn empty because the only way to get to the land would be via HE, which puts the area on an island. It wouldn't be cost effective to operate like that.
They operate like that on the occasional sold out nights.

The reason WW would have to remain open is because of how profitable park hoppers are.

And being “on an island” is no big deal. It’s what they do for early entry now anyway- you just wouldn’t have the staff to have to do admission or the staff to steer the traffic back to Hogsmeade or diagon.

Again- looking at this with my business glasses on; you can still sell park hoppers this way; if not make it an ‘exclusive’ markup. And we’re talking about a Monday and Wednesday which are little attendance as it is. Thats an extra $40-60/pp to get people to spring for the park hopper + the sales they get in the closed park w/ WW (and always Having Hagrid’s open).

Keeping your most profitable land while closing the rest of the park sounds like a no brainer if they go down to 6x/week operation.

The reason WW would have to remain open is because of how profitable park hoppers are.

If it comes to this red button option, it means the number of day guests inside the park who might potentially upgrade to a hopper is so small that it's likely not to offset the cost of running HE plus even a scaled down other land. At a certain point, e.g., there's no point in even firing up the kitchen in Three Broomsticks if it's only going to see 50 guests. And from what I gather talking to Orlando CMs/TMs, that's what we're staring down after Labor Day.

If it comes to this red button option, it means the number of day guests inside the park who might potentially upgrade to a hopper is so small that it's likely not to offset the cost of running HE plus even a scaled down other land. At a certain point, e.g., there's no point in even firing up the kitchen in Three Broomsticks if it's only going to see 50 guests. And from what I gather talking to Orlando CMs/TMs, that's what we're staring down after Labor Day.
I agree. It’s going to be interesting how they’d walk that line. Maybe no restaurant but rides? They do have to consider the justification of “park hopper” vs refunding the difference to those coming who bought it and potential customer satisfaction issues that arise from that.

They have the numbers, so it’s just equations. Using USF being open/IOA being closed:

The amount of sales from park hoppers + revenue in Hogsmeade - the operational costs of keeping the land open as “X”.

The operational savings by keeping the land closed - the cost of refunds for park hoppers as “Y”.

Guest satisfaction would be weighted somehow; again, a number that they will use internally.

Whichever is higher profit, they would go with. It could easily be where they’re both unprofitable and they’re left with the unenviable position of picking the option that loses the least amount of money, which would favor “Y”.

Last edited:
I agree. It’s going to be interesting how they’d walk that line. Maybe no restaurant but rides? They do have to consider the justification of “park hopper” vs refunding the difference to those coming who bought it and potential customer satisfaction issues that arise from that.

They have the numbers, so it’s just equations. Using USF being open/IOA being closed:

The amount of sales from park hoppers + revenue in Hogsmeade - the operational costs of keeping the land open as “X”.

The operational savings by keeping the land closed - the cost of refunds for park hoppers as “Y”.

Guest satisfaction would be weighted somehow; again, a number that they will use internally.

Whichever is higher profit, they would go with. It could easily be where they’re both unprofitable and they’re left with the unenviable position of picking the option that loses the least amount of money, which would favor “Y”.
I’m under the impression that Hagrid, FJ, and Gringotts are all in the top 5 attractions for number of TM’s needed to operate, so I’m assuming that would hurt the cause to open the whole WW.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but visited Epcot today and you could definitely feel the effects of Disney opening up more park reservations. Just more people all around in general so if you were comfortable due to the seemingly empty parks via blogger videos from last month. Just a heads up that it's not really like that anymore, especially on weekends.

Witnessed Spaceship Earth at a 25 minute wait, Frozen Ever After and Test Track at 60 minutes, and stuff like Imagination and Gran Fiesta Tour averaging 20-25 minutes. In fact, you couldn't even get in line for Gran Fiesta Tour because that part of the pavilion was closed to capacity and the line was wrapped around for it outside. They were asking guests to return in 15-20 minutes for entry.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but visited Epcot today and you could definitely feel the effects of Disney opening up more park reservations. Just more people all around in general so if you were comfortable due to the seemingly empty parks via blogger videos from last month. Just a heads up that it's not really like that anymore, especially on weekends.

Witnessed Spaceship Earth at a 25 minute wait, Frozen Ever After and Test Track at 60 minutes, and stuff like Imagination and Gran Fiesta Tour averaging 20-25 minutes. In fact, you couldn't even get in line for Gran Fiesta Tour because that part of the pavilion was closed to capacity and the line was wrapped around for it outside. They were asking guests to return in 15-20 minutes for entry.

Same in DHS today (I'd note it's CMs as well as more AP slots). The walk-ons of a couple weeks ago have been replaced with lines not far off where they would've been pre-COVID. That said, crowds in shops were still sparse, despite over half the storefronts being shuttered. The Orchestra show was hardy full, either, even with limited seating. The crowd seems like it's there to ride the E-ticket rides and not do much else.

Weekends are still busy but during the week the parks feel empty.

WDW News had a video starting a rumor that Disneyland might open soon because of cases going down and more turnstiles having plastic in front of them

What do we think? I still am very doubtful the parks open anytime this year

WDW News had a video starting a rumor that Disneyland might open soon because of cases going down and more turnstiles having plastic in front of them

I think it's very possible that by sometime in November the parks will be open.

Reactions: Clive

Here's the actual thing to note:

In essence--right now don't assume anything until September 8th. And even then, it may be until November or December, of when the parks may be able to reopen.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Here's the actual thing to note:

In essence--right now don't assume anything until September 8th. And even then, it may be until November or December, of when the parks may be able to reopen.

So yeah not anytime soon, I hope they can somehow get people in by Christmas sure the park will be mainly sold out around that time if they can open

Status
Not open for further replies.