Themed Lands? | Inside Universal Forums

Themed Lands?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
Hey everyone,

I was thinking about publishing this on the main site, but I decided to pursue the forum route instead after rethinking my logic and the actual possibility of this going through. Quite frankly, I have a feeling that there's too many holes to this argument for this to be a viable plan.

That being said, here's a draft I'd like to share with you:

...​

Editor’s Note: This is complete speculation. None of our sources have indicated a comprehensive shift in the park’s theming, so consider this post just a theory on my behalf.

By now, I’m sure some of you have seen the unusual construction being performed at Universal’s Animal Actors. If I were to judge the progress thus far, it would appear as if they’re attempting to theme the show as a soundstage production – whatever that entails. Progress has been painstakingly slow, and the show has been performing in an embarrassing state of half-completion for weeks.

Animal Actor’s green-spotted façade (painted back in the era of Animal Planet Live!) has also been ditched in favor of Universal’s traditional tri-color soundstage paint scheme, and the entrance has been affectionately labeled “Stage 57” to coincide with Special Effects Stage’s “Stage 56” just around the corner. Since this – by all indications – is an unusual progression on the part of Universal, it makes you wonder: could this a shift towards cohesive theming? Better yet, could this be a move towards “themed lands”?

Now first, let’s be real. When I say themed lands, I don’t mean the type of land you’d find at Universal’s Islands of Adventure. That comprehensive level of theming is out of the question for a park like Hollywood, and I don’t think such a system would work very well with the park’s current roster of shows and attractions. That being said, it also should come to no surprise that Universal Studios Hollywood has been slowly retrofitting the entire park in preparation for the arrival of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in 2016. With such an immersive and cohesive experience on the horizon, management must surely be on a rush to bring the rest of the park up to snuff. Enter the notion of Krustyland and the current news surrounding Simpsons Plaza.

Now while we won’t comment on the Simpsons, let’s take a look at Universal’s proposed plan of action:

With plans of Despicable Me’s Super Silly Fun Land having just been announced, Hollywood would see a total of three moderately themed areas: Simpsons Plaza, Universal Plaza and area surrounding Animal Actors and Special Effects Stage that we’ll refer to as “Production Central.”

What do we have left? The Studio Tour, Shrek 4D and the Lower Lot. While we’re certain the Lower Lot won’t be touched for another ten years (and the area is already themed as a studio center), what can we do about the Tour and Shrek 4D? To add another argument to this theory: what about the future of Special Effects? Can we be assured that it's here to stay?

...​

(here's why my train of thought falls through. In spite of this, I'd love to hear what you think below.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cohesive theming: definitely.

Land theming: possibly.

I really don't think our park could successfully pull off the whole "land" design given the current layout, but I'd be very interested to see what they'd have in mind. If the Upper Lot is split up into smaller areas, wouldn't it be split up into more than three? I mean, you've got a Despicable Me area, a Simpsons area, a Harry Potter area, and maybe 2 other areas that would house HOH, AA, SES, and the Studio Tour. It's kind of a sloppy structure, but it's not all that easy categorizing these hodgepodge attractions into themed lands.

Pretty much what I've been saying for a while now but lots of you said that it was impractical/not happening.

Which is definitely true on a large scale like IOA or Singapore's lands, because however Universal would approach it, it wouldn't all make complete sense in Hollywood.

But I definitely see Universal doing this on SOME scale to not make the Wizarding World stick out too much, as I've said before. And it's already sort of happening. If that's the route they're going for, it won't be COMPLETELY cohesive in certain areas, but it will be a larger improvement over the previous randomness.

I'd have it laid out like this for the mini lands come 2016:

Super Silly Funland:

Despicable Me Minion Mayhem

Flying Fluffy Unicorns (Spinner)

Super Silly Games of Chance

Despicable Delights

Gift shop

Production Central (with Universal Plaza sub central area)

(Would encompass much of the upper lot that would fit in the Sound Stage and World Street facades look. I think the Studio Tour fits in here as well, and Shrek would as well with a slight facade change. It's not exactly immersive right now, so they can change it to look like a Soundstage that's filming Shrek as well):

Main Entrance Hub

House of Horrors

Waterworld

Universal Plaza

Animal Actors

Special Effects Stage

Studio Tour

European Streets

NY Street/Blues Brothers

Springfield:

The Simpsons Ride

Kwik E Mart

Springfield Dining

Carnival Games

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter:

Forbidden Journey

Flight of the Hippogriff

Hogsmeade shops and dining

Rumored additional show?

Blockbuster Backlot Boulevard:

(themed to be a working studio backlot with three Blockbuster films in production. Would mean that there would be extra props and "studio equipment" like lighting rigs, director chairs, and cameras on cranes around the existing rides to make the rides feel like hot sets. I'd also update the facade of Transformers and the Mummy to be immersive and detailed. Studio backlot doesnt have to = plain soundstages, they can easily have a great looking facade for the Mummy and Transfomers and pass it off as hot sets from the movie. On the outside, youre on a studio backlot, but walk into the queue and your transported into the movie)

Revenge of the Mummy

Jurassic Park River Adventure

Dino Play

Transformers The Ride 3D

NBCUniversal Experience Museum

Dining and Merchandise

(I'd add another little Jurassic Park ride if Universal Experience is moved to the upper lot and Panda closes)

So, it's not super cohesive in certain areas, but it's definitely an improvement over what we currently have. Also makes the park seem bigger in my opinion. Would be a great move for USH to advertise that it has FIVE themed areas, which is great as it moves in to compete with the Disneyland Resort a bit more. It's not a perfect idea, but for our little weird park, I think it would be an EXCELLENT move!

Would also be smart logistically. The Upper Lot is pretty big, and with two well themed areas like Super Silly Funland and Wizarding World, I feel like they'd want to label them as separate areas. It all makes sense in my head.

Reactions: Alexshow.
I have a feeling they won't want to touch the Lower Lot for years. Personally, I think the area looks fine and there's only so much you could do with the studio theme before it becomes old.

Would mean that there would be extra props and "studio equipment" like lighting rigs, director chairs, and cameras on cranes around the existing rides to make the rides feel like hot sets. I'd also update the facade of Transformers and the Mummy to be immersive and detailed. Studio backlot doesnt have to = plain soundstages, they can easily have a great looking facade for the Mummy and Transfomers and pass it off as hot sets from the movie. On the outside, youre on a studio backlot, but walk into the queue and your transported into the movie)
I know I put this idea out there for Grinchmas, but I really don't think it would work on such a large, permanent scale. Just look at Florida's Revenge of the Mummy. Perhaps their entire setup was a poor from the start, but I found the idea of walking into a soundstage/cursed tomb janky and jarring.

No, the way they did it is definitely poor, I agree. That's not what I proposed for us. I meant that there simply be studio "equipment" around the lower lot to suggest that the three major lower lot rides are movies in production. But their facades, queues and ride experience don't have any sense of "you're making a movie". It's hinted at with the studio equipment, but once you enter the queue and the ride, you're in that world, not in a studio. Does that make sense? :)

Basically the three major lower lot rides are fully immersive experiences. Including the facades. The whole "you're filming a movie" and studio soundstage look and feel is simply a cheap way to not make lots of details and make cutbacks. That isn't always true for productions. You can say that guests are on " the lot " and filming is going on for three blockbuster movies. They can have fully immersive sets, like most movies have.

No, the way they did it is definitely poor, I agree. That's not what I proposed for us. I meant that there simply be studio "equipment" around the lower lot to suggest that the three major lower lot rides are movies in production. But their facades, queues and ride experience don't have any sense of "you're making a movie". It's hinted at with the studio equipment, but once you enter the queue and the ride, you're in that world, not in a studio. Does that make sense? :)

Basically the three major lower lot rides are fully immersive experiences. Including the facades. The whole "you're filming a movie" and studio soundstage look and feel is simply a cheap way to not make lots of details and make cutbacks. That isn't always true for productions. You can say that guests are on " the lot " and filming
I see your vision, but I still rather them keep the Lower Lot for what it is. It's a pretty unapologetic setup, and I'm afraid the studio theme will be a catch-all for things they couldn't fit in the rest of the park. So in other words, studio is fine for the Lower Lot, but it's just plain lazy for areas in the Upper.

I wouldn't complain if they took your suggestions though.

I see your vision, but I still rather them keep the Lower Lot for what it is. It's a pretty unapologetic setup, and I'm afraid the studio theme will be a catch-all for things they couldn't fit in the rest of the park. So in other words, studio is fine for the Lower Lot, but it's just plain lazy for areas in the Upper.

I wouldn't complain if they took your suggestions though.
I'm fine with the way it is now, I just wish they'd embrace the studio feel of the lower lot a bit more and added some fake studio equipment. That'd be a cool little detail, but not necessary. Regardless, I really really wish they'd change the Mummy's facade and exterior queue to be immersive like the one in Singapore. Not everything has to have a soundstage look. The shows on the upper lot can have it, whatever, but Mummy deserves a better facade.

I feel like each the attractions in the Lower Lot should all have an equally great façade since they're so close to each other. It's clear a lot more time went into Jurassic Park as opposed to Transformers and (obviously and unfortunately) Mummy. People normally have not-so-high expectations when they walk through ROTM's lame arch held by those Anubis statues..

It would be nice to see more full themeing on the outer building or TF and mummy. The only reason JP has a fully themed front is because it is part of the attraction unlike the other 2 which are housed in a "Sound Stage".

Isn't USS's ROTM a clone of USF's? I know this is a previsualization, but there are some elements that aren't present in USF's ride. Maybe they aren't identical? Either way, super cool video.

Isn't USS's ROTM a clone of USF's? I know this is a previsualization, but there are some elements that aren't present in USF's ride. Maybe they aren't identical? Either way, super cool video.
The track layout and basic look of the ride is identical, but in USS you're going through a real tomb, massive queue, and the curse and danger is real with no references to you being on a movie set or at a theme park like in Florida. No gags from Florida either. It's very straightforward Egyptian and it's the best version of the ride!

The track layout and basic look of the ride is identical, but in USS you're going through a real tomb, massive queue, and the curse and danger is real with no references to you being on a movie set or at a theme park like in Florida. No gags from Florida either. It's very straightforward Egyptian and it's the best version of the ride!
Wait, so in USS the ride is actually about this book?

Yeah man. If you watch the full experience of the ride, from the ride's detailed exterior, massive queue and excellent ride, you'll probably salivate at how good it is and cry when you think of the crap we got back home lol.