Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tilikum has Died

I don't know. I'm not sure how accurate Wikipedia is but according to them there are less then 50 orcas in captivity around the world. I don't know big of a breeding pool they can get from that. That is why I said they would have to work with Russia and China because I heard they are still building SeaWorld like parks and are still capturing orcas from the wild.
Russia is capturing them and Chinese parks are mostly buying them. SeaWorld had already said they wouldn't use genetics from the Russian captured whales or their descendants back when they were seeking approval for the Blue World in California. There are several males outside of SeaWorld parks who they were likely to breed with in the future, a couple of them are too young still, but they have gotten so far in research that they could have preserved DNA for a long time in order to breed more as long as the whales weren't related.

Russia is capturing them and Chinese parks are mostly buying them. SeaWorld had already said they wouldn't use genetics from the Russian captured whales or their descendants back when they were seeking approval for the Blue World in California. There are several males outside of SeaWorld parks who they were likely to breed with in the future, a couple of them are too young still, but they have gotten so far in research that they could have preserved DNA for a long time in order to breed more as long as the whales weren't related.

That's good to know. I wonder if in 10 years they will start up the breeding program again after all of this has died down.

That's good to know. I wonder if in 10 years they will start up the breeding program again after all of this has died down.
Probably not in the US....I could see them doing it in their overseas parks, Sea World Dubai, Sea World Japan, and Sea World Antarcticaaaaa

Read an article today about San Diego was adding natural elements to the outside of the tank for their more natural show.

Like pine trees.

Because whales give a farfanoogin about pine trees.

Read an article today about San Diego was adding natural elements to the outside of the tank for their more natural show.

Like pine trees.

No, no, killer whales notice this stuff all the time. They're all like, "Though I'd rather be swimming the deep blue and doing my orca thing, I really think that the pine trees add a natural ambience to the whole thing. Really makes this pool feel bigger and more relaxing overall."

No, no, killer whales notice this stuff all the time. They're all like, "Though I'd rather be swimming the deep blue and doing my orca thing, I really think that the pine trees add a natural ambience to the whole thing. Really makes this pool feel bigger and more relaxing overall."

The moment they canceled Blue World as an expansion (which I called and was mocked for mind you - some of you still owe me an apology for that one) I wrote the company off.

Seriously, how can you claim to care about the animals and cancel any and all plans to improve their habitat when it's determined you can't have your silly circus shows anymore?

To this day there's still people (most working for the company) who think they did nothing wrong and everyone else needs to get over it.

Like pine trees.

Let's all be honest, SeaWorld supporters and opponents alike, the new set is not for the whales, it's for the audience.

The moment they canceled Blue World as an expansion (which I called and was mocked for mind you - some of you still owe me an apology for that one) I wrote the company off.

Seriously, how can you claim to care about the animals and cancel any and all plans to improve their habitat when it's determined you can't have your silly circus shows anymore?

To this day there's still people (most working for the company) who think they did nothing wrong and everyone else needs to get over it.

It is just hard all the way around. I remember once at Sea World here in Ohio that, at the end of the day, Shamu had had enough. After he pretty much jumped and landed on the trainer in the water, they had to entice Shamu to go back to his holding pen. That was when the pools were smaller and the holding pens tiny. We want the research and to see these magnificent animals but how do you make an enclosure large enough for an ocean-going creature? Plus, the whales are used to human interaction. Denying that in shows hurts the animals. It's just a mess.

Let's all be honest, SeaWorld supporters and opponents alike, the new set is not for the whales, it's for the audience.

I know. I was being facetious to insert a little levity. In my mind, the whales were all California-cool.

Because they are still a company. It doesn't make sense to invest millions into a habitat that will sit unused in about thirty years. The fact is in order to continue the rehabilitation and rescue service they provide, they must continue to make smart business decisions.

Like pine trees.

What do you want them to add to the outside of the tank that would be an improvement for the orcas. As you said in another post they are really struggling right now. It makes more sense for them to invest in things that are going to help drive attendance and sadly building a bigger tank isn't going to do it. Right now they need to focus on new rides to get people through the gates. The best anyone can hope for is that attendance increases to the point where sometime in the future they decide it makes financial sense for them to go ahead with the Blue World Project. As far as public opinion goes the public will forget as soon as something else comes alone to grab their attention.

Last edited:
Because they are stuck with them. It'll look even worse when they release them (into a sea pen or open ocean), and the same thing that happened to Willy happens to them.
For sure...I meant they should end the shows quicker than they are and shift marketing focus to new experiences

It seems they are trying, but I see an Orca pop up every once in a while..