Toy Story 5 (2026) | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story 5 (2026)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Resident Toy Story 4 defender logging on. Toy Story 5 is stupid and has no point in existing besides merchandising and Pixar flailing to remain relevant.

I appreciated seeing what was effectively a solo Woody Epilogue film after the events of TS3 and how they did their best to include so many new and different literal toy stories in that film; Lost Toy communes, Cheap carnival game toys that end up never getting won, toys that never worked as advertised, creepy and old dummies and dolls, and also an exploration in what exactly makes a toy a toy with Forky. These have all been explored in minor ways before in the previous films, but they really expanded on it in a way that worked really well to contrast a Woody who finds himself regressing to the resentful and bitter tendencies he thought he had outgrown, and in the end helping him to truly move on and grow as a character.

I have no clue what the hook even could be for a new movie. The character development well has about run dry, and as fun as spending time goofing around with the extended cast is in this franchise, the real heart of the films has been in the actual character beats and growth everyone goes through. There's a reason I don't really watch the Toy Stories short collections or whatever. Maybe it'll surprise me like TS4, but I just have no clue how it even could.

Reactions: TheUniC6
I had a similar feeling going into Toy Story 4 and was blown away by how much I enjoyed it. If they're able to pull that off again, I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Toy Story 4 is a good film.....but in almost no way lives up to the first three films

I hope this one is better but...feels like a sequels because money

Resident Toy Story 4 defender logging on. Toy Story 5 is stupid and has no point in existing besides merchandising and Pixar flailing to remain relevant.

I appreciated seeing what was effectively a solo Woody Epilogue film after the events of TS3 and how they did their best to include so many new and different literal toy stories in that film; Lost Toy communes, Cheap carnival game toys that end up never getting won, toys that never worked as advertised, creepy and old dummies and dolls, and also an exploration in what exactly makes a toy a toy with Forky. These have all been explored in minor ways before in the previous films, but they really expanded on it in a way that worked really well to contrast a Woody who finds himself regressing to the resentful and bitter tendencies he thought he had outgrown, and in the end helping him to truly move on and grow as a character.

I have no clue what the hook even could be for a new movie. The character development well has about run dry, and as fun as spending time goofing around with the extended cast is in this franchise, the real heart of the films has been in the actual character beats and growth everyone goes through. There's a reason I don't really watch the Toy Stories short collections or whatever. Maybe it'll surprise me like TS4, but I just have no clue how it even could.

How about Chew Toy Story?

Explores the life of toys whose purpose is to be ripped apart by our beloved pets.

Toy Story 4 was a very good film idk why some of y’all are beating around the bush or talking like it’s TROS.

The hesitancy I have with any Toy Story sequel is will they have a good story to tell and one that can live up to everything before it? Will the quality of the films before it and its writing be where it needs to be?

Everyone questioned Toy Story 3 happening in 2010… it’s possibly the best of the franchise. Toy Story 4 also provided a great ending for Woody and Buzz so that’s what I’m worried about… where do they go now while still feeling like they have an actual story to tell and the movie isn’t just being made for the sake of profit?

Reactions: Jake S
Toy Story 4 was a very good film idk why some of y’all are beating around the bush or talking like it’s TROS.

The hesitancy I have with any Toy Story sequel is will they have a good story to tell and one that can live up to everything before it? Will the quality of the film and its writing be where it needs to be?

Everyone questioned Toy Story 3 happening in 2010… it’s possibly the best of the franchise. Toy Story 4 also provided a great ending for Woody and Buzz so that’s what I’m worried about… where do they go now while still feeling like they have an actual story to tell and the movie isn’t just being made for the sake of profit?
Maybe Toy Story sequels are like the James Cameron of animated movies, don't bet against them.

I'm hoping this year's D23 gives us some clarity about who is directing these new movies.

The hesitancy I have with any Toy Story sequel is will they have a good story to tell and one that can live up to everything before it? Will the quality of the films before it and its writing be where it needs to be?

Because its Pixar....Cars is good.....but doesn't mean I want more

I want the best from them like Soul, Co Co, Up etc

Toy Story 4 is a good film but.....it really didn't need to be made and didn't have the same emotional impact as the first three films

Because its Pixar....Cars is good.....but doesn't mean I want more

I want the best from them like Soul, Co Co, Up etc

Toy Story 4 is a good film but.....it really didn't need to be made and didn't have the same emotional impact as the first three films
Pixar has made five original films since Toy Story 4. The studio makes enough films to be able to do unique originals and sequels to beloved franchises.

Pixar has made five original films since Toy Story 4. The studio makes enough films to be able to do unique originals and sequels to beloved franchises.
They can...doesn't mean it will be amazing which is what I'm arguing

Toy Story 1-3 is are pretty much perfect

The 4th Film while good and nice to look at lacks much of the heart that pushes a Pixar film to become in the amazing tier

I have zero doubts this film will be good.....but will it be Pixar amazing? I want more of those again, we have more then enough films we don't need more just good films....in my opinion

No proper TS film (Lightyear not withstanding) has below a 97% on RT.
Right, and the franchise is nearly 30 years old and has had multiple films that feel like “endings.” I think all the films are excellent, and I’ve been surprised two films in a row.

The 4th Film while good and nice to look at lacks much of the heart that pushes a Pixar film to become in the amazing tier
I wholeheartedly disagree with this. It’s every bit as emotionally resonant as the other films in the series imo.

They can...doesn't mean it will be amazing which is what I'm arguing

Toy Story 1-3 is are pretty much perfect

I have zero doubts this film will be good.....but will it be Pixar amazing? I want more of those again, we have more then enough films we don't need more just good films....in my opinion
The best film Pixar has released in the past five years is either Soul or (ironically) Toy Story 4.

Toy Story 4 was a very good film what are we talking about. Just because it wasn’t Toy Story 3 great doesn’t mean it still wasn’t great.

Right, and the franchise is nearly 30 years old and has had multiple films that feel like “endings.” I think all the films are excellent, and I’ve been surprised two films in a row.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. It’s every bit as emotionally resonant as the other films in the series imo.
What part even got close to the trash scene

The opening to Toy Story 3 is also perfect......

You almost cry when the toys are saying by to Andy or are about to be killed?

I just see them as very different tiers of films. Toy Story 4 almost feels like a Woody Spin off which is cool, it was suppose to be his send off film but now he's back...so cool the 5th film now has to explain why Woody and Buzz are back together undoing the 3rd film message about changing time and the 4th about Woody being ok leaving his duty to be happy with the love of his life

The best film Pixar has released in the past five years is either Soul or (ironically) Toy Story 4.

Toy Story 4 was a very good film what are we talking about. Just because it wasn’t Toy Story 3 good doesn’t mean it still wasn’t great.
I think Toy Story 4 is good.....but Its just not the first three films which I think have either better messages/themes, are more emotional or funnier.

I view the first three Toy Story films as pretty much perfect, I just can't say that about 4. Its a good film but its not something that should win best picture

I think the problem with the sequels isn't so much that they exist, but their timing. 2016-2019 was almost exclusively sequels that overperformed, whereas 2020-2023 was entirely original films that underperformed due to COVID. If there was a more regular cadence, I think people would be more ammenable to the sequels.

However, based on the current slate at Disney and Pixar, it seems like we're getting another three year run of mostly sequels outside of Elio. They seem to announce these films much closer to release than they once did, and we already know they're doing Moana 2, Inside Out 2, Zootopia 2, Toy Story 5, Frozen 3 and Frozen 4, all targeting release dates between 2024-2027. I'm sure we'll get some announcements for original films at D23 this year, but as of right now, it's not a very balanced slate for the next few years.

I personally preferred Luca and Turning Red, probably because I prefer when they stop trying to make road trip movies bookended by pop psychological treatises on the nature of existence and just tell stories.

I think the problem with the sequels isn't so much that they exist, but their timing. 2016-2019 was almost exclusively sequels that overperformed, whereas 2020-2023 was entirely original films that underperformed due to COVID. If there was a more regular cadence, I think people would be more ammenable to the sequels.

However, based on the current slate at Disney and Pixar, it seems like we're getting another three year run of mostly sequels outside of Elio. They seem to announce these films much closer to release than they once did, and we already know they're doing Moana 2, Inside Out 2, Zootopia 2, Toy Story 5, Frozen 3 and Frozen 4, all targeting release dates between 2024-2027. I'm sure we'll get some announcements for original films at D23 this year, but as of right now, it's not a very balanced slate for the next few years.

I personally preferred Luca and Turning Red, probably because I prefer when they stop trying to make road trip movies bookended by pop psychological treatises on the nature of existence and just tell stories.
I wasn’t all that into Luca, but Turning Red was really good. Honestly Elemental was as well.

My two cents on the matter is that maybe Toy Story 5 will be really good, but after that please lay this franchise to rest.

For what it's worth, I think if they had a decent idea for a Toy Story sequel after TS4, I don't know if they would've gone the Lightyear route of making spin-off franchises. But maybe that mess was just the Post-Endgame, 2019-era Disney getting a bit too confident that any Superhero film they make with Chris Evans starring will make billions.

Reactions: TheUniC6