Twister Show Building: Big Enough For An Ride? | Inside Universal Forums

Twister Show Building: Big Enough For An Ride?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 30, 2011
Lately, many fans on this site and other sites have been debating Transformers coming to Universal Orlando. Most seem to think the best place to put the ride would be between MIB and Simpsons. Others say T2 or Twister should be replaced. Well, that got me thinking. Just how big IS the Twister soundstage? Looking at an overhead view, the building does not look big enough to house any major attraction, especially one like Transformers. I will be honest, I have no clue just how big the building is.

So, just how big is the Twister building and can it hold a major E ticket style ride, or even a C ticket family style dark ride? And if Twister does wind up getting the heave-ho out of Universal, what would you all like to see replace it, whether it be a ride or a show?

Lately, many fans on this site and other sites have been debating Transformers coming to Universal Orlando. Most seem to think the best place to put the ride would be between MIB and Simpsons. Others say T2 or Twister should be replaced. Well, that got me thinking. Just how big IS the Twister soundstage? Looking at an overhead view, the building does not look big enough to house any major attraction, especially one like Transformers. I will be honest, I have no clue just how big the building is.

So, just how big is the Twister building and can it hold a major E ticket style ride, or even a C ticket family style dark ride? And if Twister does wind up getting the heave-ho out of Universal, what would you all like to see replace it, whether it be a ride or a show?

The Twister sound stage is really limited as what can be housed in there. It will probably always house a walk through type attraction which in turn could be a great fit for Transformers. While I don't see it coming to Twister, it definetly could. To give you an idea of the size of the building in sqft it roughly half the size of the parade building, slightly larger than Despicable Me, but small than Shrek.

The is the best info I could dig up and I'm proud of myself. Twister is housed in SS50 which is approximately the same size as SS24. According to this PDF document (with a clickable link here by choosing 24), the soundstage's area is 16,500 sq ft. With the removal of the gift shop, there's some room to work with. But most likely, like Hatetofly said, it'll need to be either another walk-through or simulator attraction. For some perspective, Twister is housed in a structure less than half in size than the E.T. building.

Backlot_Map.jpg

BB_horz_1_tcm13-5035.jpg

A Spiderman type ride no...not even a Cat in the Hat type ride...but ride designers are getting more creative with space these days...check this out
[video=youtube_share;Sw-fQHepHZ4]http://youtu.be/Sw-fQHepHZ4[/video]
It's a vertical tower that lifts riders into different scenes...
ps the Studios needs a good drop ride...I could see a cool KONG one or GB...perhaps even Transformers

Thanks for the replies. Shiekra, that ride system looks freakish, and I mean that in a good way.

I really would like a neat walkthrough attraction. I love physical sets over digital screens! My dream for this space would either be Ghostbusters or a horror movie. On another note, that ride system sheikra38 posted gives me hope for what can be done in small spaces!

I really would like a neat walkthrough attraction. I love physical sets over digital screens! My dream for this space would either be Ghostbusters or a horror movie. On another note, that ride system sheikra38 posted gives me hope for what can be done in small spaces!

Too late, my friend.:beadyeyes:

I love the idea of that vertical ride system. If Universal has to go up for the purpose of space then that's definitely one way to do it.

Just replace it with this. Fits the theme alot better and makes great use of the space they have. Plus, everyone loves Spielberg.

[video=youtube;1_X402LKZe0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_X402LKZe0[/video]

I love Twister but for those who don't or are tired of it, wouldn't that just be more of the same?

I really do not understand the hate with Twister. It's a great attraction for what it is and it's one of the attractions that has a shorter wait on busier days. That's why I take advantage of it when I go, lol.

I really do not understand the hate with Twister. It's a great attraction for what it is and it's one of the attractions that has a shorter wait on busier days. That's why I take advantage of it when I go, lol.

I think that the main hate is coming from the pre-show. If the pre-show was so dated, I think a lot of people would have less of an issue with this attraction.

With Bill Paxton in his 90's washed out jeans and Fluffy Hair, standing all macho like it just feels like you are watching an old attraction.

While the show itself is still a wonderful display of technology and thrills the pre-show puts a bad taste in your mouth before you even start.

I think that the main hate is coming from the pre-show. If the pre-show was so dated, I think a lot of people would have less of an issue with this attraction.

With Bill Paxton in his 90's washed out jeans and Fluffy Hair, standing all macho like it just feels like you are watching an old attraction.

While the show itself is still a wonderful display of technology and thrills the pre-show puts a bad taste in your mouth before you even start.

Are you kidding? From what I've gathered, the preshow is the only part people actually enjoy!:lol:

But seriously, the show is just dull. There's no excitement. No immenent danger. You never feel like the (incredibly fake looking) tornado is any threat to you, which is very different to what Disaster's ride portion feels like and what Jaws felt like. It's just such a passive experience.